• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc vs Pattinson vs Cummins

say2chintu

Cricket Spectator
I resisted making this prediction during Aus-Ind test series but think Starc going to be more successful than Pattinson and Cummins in test cricket. Left-armer with that height, pace and ability to late swing - he is going to be DEADLY esp against so many right handed batsman. Also remember Wasim raving on espn last summer about Starc's abilities !!

Last edited:

DJellett

International Debutant
Starc is not unlike Johnson at a similar stage so may be best to wait and see.
Cummins seems to be hyped up beyond his current capabilities, but he is young and raw and the powers that be are working hard on developing him into a finished product.

From what I've seen so far I reckon Jimmy P is the best of that bunch, but time will tell.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I resisted making this prediction during Aus-Ind test series but think Starc going to be more successful than Pattinson and Cummings in test cricket. Left-armer with that height, pace and ability to late swing - he is going to be DEADLY esp against so many right handed batsman. Also remember Wasim raving on espn last summer about Starc's abilities !!
I've posted many times that Starc has the ability to be an atg

Injuries/brain fades could still **** all 3 of them so best not to count chickens

DJellett

International Debutant
This

One has the making of a beautiful, consistent action that makes full use of his physical attributes

The other doesnt
But that other was picked on the basis that, at a similar age, he did. Remember all the initial hype about fast-tracking Mitch because Lillee liked his action?

say2chintu

Cricket Spectator
Fair point, if only in the sense that

- was esentially the brief on Johnson when he was as inexperienced as Starc is.
But Johnson was always slingy, wasn't he ? Kind of expected a couple of sprinkles on either side of wicket from him every now and then. Its when he GETS it correct, he is deadly. Starc's action allows him to do this more often.

Ruckus

International Captain
It's a tough call...personally don't think Starc will reach the same level as Pattinson and Cummins (in test cricket, that is). Very hard to choose between the latter two...Pattinson is closer to a finished article than Cummins, but perhaps Cummins has more of an x factor about him. Obviously a lot will depend on injuries etc.

uvelocity

International Coach
But that other was picked on the basis that, at a similar age, he did. Remember all the initial hype about fast-tracking Mitch because Lillee liked his action?
Once in a generation. And he was correct, never seen anything like Johnson. Starc is much taller, bowls with and upright seam and yeah as above isn't slingy. Don't know that much of his personality but hopefully starc isn't a complete softcock (yet another difference if so)

uvelocity

International Coach
It's a tough call...personally don't think Starc will reach the same level as Pattinson and Cummins (in test cricket, that is). Very hard to choose between the latter two...Pattinson is closer to a finished article than Cummins, but perhaps Cummins has more of an x factor about him. Obviously a lot will depend on injuries etc.
Cummo has nous imo, ref v kallis :wub:

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah he does. And it will be very interesting to see who will be more successful out of Patto and Cummins given, at this stage, they both seemingly have very different mindsets when bowling. Brains vs brawns etc...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Cummins is gonna be very very very special (Donald, Steyn-ish) :unsure:---maybe

Patto is going to be a really good stock solid quick (McDermott/Gillespie-ish)

Hopefully Starc will produce something special to compliment them both.

Australia have the makings of a very very potent pace attack for the next 5+ years. Injuries aside.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On sheer ability and wicket-taking mojo, Cummins is still my horse. Sososo too early to tell, though. Reckon Starc will bully some teams but he's a bit 1D and two feet short for mine (at this stage). Bloke is sending down good stuff at the moment, though, doing everything to be in the hunt for a spot in the XI in all forms. Get the ball up a bit and there's a touch of Breece Rude about him.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
The bowler that Starc reminds me of is Bruce Reid, which is no bad thing. It is really way to early to have any sensible idea of who may be best. If all goes right, Australia could have a seriously good pace attack.

And if Hazlewood can overcome his injuries, he might be better than all of them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On sheer ability and wicket-taking mojo, Cummins is still my horse.
Agree. Probably the worst of the three at the moment but, as long as he doesn't keep getting hindered by these injuries, I'm backing him to finish the best of the three.