• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast/Seam Bowlers of the 1990s - anyone for a Top Ten?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Keen on seeing these matches in which Srinath took all 20 wickets and scored more runs himself than the entire opposition scored in both innings.

No-one wins matches single-handedly.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Keen on seeing these matches in which Srinath took all 20 wickets and scored more runs himself than the entire opposition scored in both innings.

No-one wins matches single-handedly.
Oh, now that must be the meaning of winning single handedly used in cricket literature. Thanks for your piece of wisdom.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Srinath and Vaas won matches for their teams single handedly. Cannot recall Streak having that impact as Vaas and Srinath.
Don't remember Srinath winning India a test match 'single-handedly' in the 90s TBH.

Plus the fact that Streak played for Zimbabwe didn't help either (unless you agree with what PEWS is saying, which you clearly don't).

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Don't remember Srinath winning India a test match 'single-handedly' in the 90s TBH.

Plus the fact that Streak played for Zimbabwe didn't help either (unless you agree with what PEWS is saying, which you clearly don't).
Srinath :

1) against SA
2) 12-14 wickets against Pak..India lost not because of him but the batters completely screwed it

Vaas :

5-fer against NZ in NZ in his debut series(i think) and against WI in 1999 insane # of wickets..

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Srinath was at best a journeyman. Vaas had more claims but was a better ODI bowler than a test bowler for mine.

Surely there are more worthwhile names than the above. Streak doesn't excite me too much either.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Streak played a pretty darn important role in his country's first ever Test win, for one. Obviously the batting set it up, but they still had to take twenty wickets to win.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Agree with most of those names, but streak over Srinath and Vaas is a joke.
No it isn't. Not in the 90s.

Streak more valuable to his team than perhaps any other cricketer in the 90s.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but the argument is that his quality is made to look more significant because of the lack of quality around him.

For me neither Streak, Vaas or Srinath would make my top ten.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh, fair enough. In my initial post, I ranked six, then clustered a bunch together in no particular order. I also made the criteria 100+ wickets in the 1990s.

I consider Srinath a decent bowler, nothing more, and Vaas was only marginally better in the era being considered.

If you isolate Streak's figures in the 1990s, they're actually quite impressive.

1. Waqar Younis
2. Allan Donald
3. Curtly Ambrose
4. Wasim Akram
5. Glenn McGrath
6. Shaun Pollock

Then any of Bishop, Walsh, Streak, McDermott, Hughes.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

SRs of Waqar and Donald are amazing.

Last edited:

SAURABH BAHUGUN

Cricket Spectator
Waqar Younis at his peak was by far the best bowler i have seen.He is easily the bowler as well as the cricketer of 1990s.Whenever he used to come for a spell i always felt that Pakistan can win matches even if the opposition had 7 wicket in hands and needed just 30 odd runs for victory.He was very fast and breathtaking to watch.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
What's Dean Headley doing with a Strike Rate of 50.4 over 15 matches against (mainly) Australia and Windies? He wasn't that good was he?
He had serious ability but was wrecked by injuries. Bowled an absolutely demonic spell at Melbourne in 1998. Was deadly v left handers.