• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dave Mohammed

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Dave has finally gotten the call. He will replace the injured Jerome Taylor on the tour of South Africa. I doubt that he'll play ahead of Banks, but IMO he's a better spinner.

For those of you who don't know who Mohammed is, he's a left-arm unorthodox spinner from Trinidad and Tobago. He bats left-handed as well and is capable of scoring useful runs.

Dave Mohammed Profile

Indications were that Ramnarine was poised to get the call ahead of Mohammed, but then he announced his retirement.

What are the conditions like in South Africa for spinners?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Should be interesting to see a left arm wristie. Looks as though he has a good FC record. Interesting to see how he goes

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What are the conditions like in South Africa for spinners?
It doesnt turn much, but there is a bit of bounce and what turn there is is usually fast turn... So there is some help, but nowhere near as much as you would get on the subcontinent...

The strips down by the sea usually turn more, so expect spin to play a bigger part at Newlands than JHB, or Pretoria...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I really can't think how anyone could possibly consider Banks a better spinner. I'd never actually looked at Mohammed's record but it's pretty good, ain't it? Just a shame he hasn't played a few more matches. 3 seasons and just 16 games (how many do they play per season in the Cup and Shield?).
Banks' First-Class average is over 40 and he gets picked ahead of him? And Banks is just a fingerspinner.
That really baffles logic.
Even if South African conditions don't suit fingerspin, a good wristspinner will be a threat anywhere, as Paul Adams has shown at times.
I would be surprised if Banks survives a 4-Test series. Surely they can't go on denying what's staring them in the face for much longer?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Banks was picked as a spinner who is potentially a far superior batsman to Mohammed. Mohammed has been picked as a spinner who can bat a bit.

Craig

World Traveller
I used to post on the Cable & Wireless Message Boards and there was a bloke who I got on well with (I was very well respected) and he's Trini and he knows his stuff, used to go on about how Mohammed didnt get his chance because of Queens Park Oval politicis and stuff like that.

Put it this way only he could get away with it and as he knew what he was talking about.

I certainly felt Mohammed didnt get his chance because of Hooper in charge and perhaps Roger Harper.

Man the amount of critism Harper and Hooper got (mainly Harper) was incredible.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I don't think it was politics that kept Mohammed out of the team. He hasn't played buckets of FC cricket, so it was probably more of a willingness to let him develop. At the time, Nagamootoo was having even more success at FC level, so they picked him a few times in hope that he would finally express that at Test level... he didn't.

Ironically, the best I've ever seen Nagas bowl in a Test was when he took 1/100odd (I think) v India. He bowled superbly and was very unlucky. I think his only wicket on that occasion was Tendulkar.

Rich2001

International Captain
Richard said:
Well with Banks out of the tour the door is open.
Very strange as O.Banks was playing (or still is, what day is it :rolleyes: ) in the tour match vs Free State.... and no match report I have read has stated any injury so iam at a lost to why he would be out the tour.

The only players I've seen out are... Bota Dippernar who has been dropped and G.Kirsten who has asked not to be picked as his wife is due to give birth in this time.

And for the WI's M.Samules I think it was is out.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rich2001 said:
Very strange as O.Banks was playing (or still is, what day is it :rolleyes: ) in the tour match vs Free State.... and no match report I have read has stated any injury so iam at a lost to why he would be out the tour.

The only players I've seen out are... Bota Dippernar who has been dropped and G.Kirsten who has asked not to be picked as his wife is due to give birth in this time.

And for the WI's M.Samules I think it was is out.
Banks didn't play the Tour Match v Free State, but he did play v the NO XI. AFAIK there are health concerns that he may not be able to play the 1st Test, but AFAIK the tour extends beyong one Test.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
He is defenitely out, according to Sky Sports (but that doesn't necessarily mean he is out, they usually get it wrong)