• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clash of the titans, Dhoni vs Bevan

Who was the better batsman

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Hi Guys,

This question came up in the Dhoni vs Gilly thread.

Both bat lower down the order and are two of the best finishers the game has ever seen.

Who do you think is the better of the two?

kingkallis

International Coach
The nail-biters we witnessed in 90s were the best. These days its a rare.

I still think Micheal Bevan is a better finisher than Dhoni. His match changing knocks were mind boggling. MSD has not played those kind of match changing knocks yet.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Dhoni is a more spectacular finisher, one who can play the big shots. Bevan was the busy bee who did it in 1s and 2s and could bat with the tail to finish the game. The difference in scoring patterns in the 90s in ODIs also contributes to their batting styles

With good bowlers in the side, Bevan would be the player of choice. If the bowling attack is poor and you never know what is a defend able total or are chasing a score that requires consistent accelaration, Dhoni would be more suitable.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The nail-biters we witnessed in 90s were the best. These days its a rare.

I still think Micheal Bevan is a better finisher than Dhoni. His match changing knocks were mind boggling. MSD has not played those kind of match changing knocks yet.
Were you an ostrich when the final of the WC 2011 took place?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I have voted for Bevan. But not looking forward to deriding of Dhoni's absolutely tremendous ODI record.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
It's absolute neck-and-neck at this stage. 2 more years of Dhoni doing doing well will put him miles ahead though.

Going for Dhoni. Unbelievable finisher, his ability to accelerate and post a big total gives him the edge on Bevan for mine.

uvelocity

International Coach
Bevan. Dohni can win a game from seemingly after its well dead and buried, but in doing so puts pressure on others. Bevan always took the pressure away.

Bevan.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni does the whole "I'll plod along at a strike rate of 40 and make the other guy hit, until its 10 an over. Then I'll explode and actually do something".

Frustrating, IMO, because it heaps pressure onto the other batsman. He wins games from dead positions providing he has a batsman down the other end. I doubt he could be the same finisher if he didn't have a Kohli, Raina or Yuvraj down the other end.

If it was 8/110 (25) chasing 200, Bevan every day of the week. 3/200 (40) chasing 300, Dhoni.

As finishers, they play different roles. Ideally you would have both in an ATG XI. My vote goes to Bevan though, he was the master, and a childhood hero of mine.

watson

Banned
Dhoni is a more spectacular finisher, one who can play the big shots. Bevan was the busy bee who did it in 1s and 2s and could bat with the tail to finish the game. The difference in scoring patterns in the 90s in ODIs also contributes to their batting styles

With good bowlers in the side, Bevan would be the player of choice. If the bowling attack is poor and you never know what is a defend able total or are chasing a score that requires consistent accelaration, Dhoni would be more suitable.
That's not quite true. When Bevan had no choice he could reach the boundary with monotonous regularity. His 185 runs (chasing 320) against an 'Asia XI' featuring Kumble and a young Razzaq has to be seen to be believed;

Michael Bevan 185* vs ASIA XI - 2000 Dhaka - YouTube

Incidently, Andrew Caddick should be prosicuted by the police and sent to gaol IMO.

(Thanks 'Ikki' for the video!)

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Dhoni's SR is outstanding and he is immensely cool under pressure too.

Bevan was extremely cool under pressure as well, had a lower strike rate, which I suppose was commensurate with the era that he played in but boy Bevan came across some fantastic bowling attacks and fought them down to the wire. What an awesome ODI player. If there is one batsman I would start building my team around in an ODI it would probably be Bevan. Having said that Dhoni would be the wk of choice

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What Dhoni is fantastic at is playing a large number of roles. Can come in at 3 and basically kill the opposition (remember his first 2 sensational centuries). Can come in slog overs to set a big target or chase down 8-9 rpo. And can also build an innings from tatters. In terms of big hitting, he definitely scores over Bevan (that exhibition match aside)

The reason I've voted for Bevan is that he did it for little longer than Dhoni has done so far, and Bevan had hardly any holes. Dhoni did well in last tours of England and Australia, but hasn't done as much in SA. It's pretty close though.

Last edited:

DingDong

State Captain
That's not quite true. When Bevan had no choice he could reach the boundary with monotonous regularity. His 185 runs (chasing 320) against an 'Asia XI' featuring Kumble and a young Razzaq has to be seen to be believed;

Michael Bevan 185* vs ASIA XI - 2000 Dhaka - YouTube

Incidently, Andrew Caddick should be prosicuted by the police and sent to gaol IMO.

(Thanks 'Ikki' for the video!)
that was an exhibition game silly. i think wasim bowled a couple of balls with a tennis ball in that game as well

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say Bevan, probably due to bias though. It kinda depends on the circumstances though - Bevan would be better for a tight chase where there's plenty of overs to spare but not a lot of wickets left. Dhoni would be better for a chase with several wickets in hand, but a steep run rate.

I think eras have something to do with as well. 90's one-day cricket wasn't anywhere as aggressive as it is now. For now you'd take Dhoni, back then you'd take Bevan.

Spark

Global Moderator
Would strongly, strongly consider having both tbh. You'd be surprised every time you lost a game whilst chasing with both of them in your side.