• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How long will South Africa be no.1 for?

How long will South Africa be no.1 for?

• Total voters

Valer

First Class Debutant
Same topic new team... Eta fail at editing. Should read SA in the poll.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Difficult to predict really. A lot depends on the series against Australia and how England do in India.

I'd guess about a year at the top.

Teja.

Global Moderator
South Africa appears to have greater potential for permanence in excellent batting standards than either the Indian or English No. 1 sides. That's a pretty key factor.

Apart from that, Steyn and Philander seem pretty unstoppable, Morkel's a ****ing good bowler to have as your third and Tahir is someone who is not a good bowler but within that standard of crapness is the best type of bowler SA can have considering their bowling attack. He's much better off than a Paul Harris type who can keep darting away, Add Kallis and you have the best bowling attack in the world.

So, I reckon they have the best batting and bowling in the world with people like Steyn and Kallis who are proven guns in all types of conditions. Only South Africa can stop South Africa from being number one for the next 2-3 years, to be honest.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA have some ****ing exciting young fast bowlers. If they keep progressing the way they are, **** is gonna get real.

angad

U19 12th Man
IIRC SA were crowned No. 1 before India's 2 year dominance, they couldn't stay there for more than a month. :p Who knows we might see Australia (yet again) or Pakistan (first in their cricketing history) ranked no. 1 very soon.

IMO ENG will slide further down due to Strauss, he should realize its not form but rapid decline. and that Bresnan guy is way way overrated, Finn should be permanent.

Jacknife

International Captain
A lot will depend on how they go at home, the past 3 years or so has only seen them win one series but they do seem to do better abroad.

Haven't got a clue tbh, could get knocked off quickly or could last a couple of years, will heavily depend on the form of England, Australia & India in the next year.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It will probably be 8-24 months. That's how long India and England held the title for.

That being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Australia are number 1 in 4 months time.

benchmark00

It will probably be 8-24 months. That's how long India and England held the title for.

That being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Australia are number 1 in 4 months time.
Have a look at this ****. Playing cool and not posting in his birthday thread. Sickens me.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I said less than 8 months but they always find a way to **** up these types of situations. Maybe Kirsten can change that but it's still unproven.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In a sick kinda way I could live with the Aussies going top if it meant we could take the spot off them in next year's Ashes

Burgey

Thank God England's time at number one was short and largely unsuccessful. Something wrong with the system that they ever attained it with that outfit.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see it being long. Kallis can't go on forever. South Africa are especially vulnerable to injuries and are erratic anyway so are unlikely to pull away at the top. Could see the Aussies taking it off them, then without the millstone of Strauss England will get stronger and will get plenty of opportunity to stuff the Aussies and take it back.

Top_Cat

Backing them to lose here, Ponting to score consecutive tons in Brisbane and Adelaide (on the back of 5+ for tWatto) before generously breaking a finger and allowing them to win in Perth.

Last edited: