• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Draft : Group B

Which team is the strongest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agent TBY

International Captain
You're misunderstanding me completely.

I'm not disputing Richards' eligibility or quality, I'm merely saying that "only test careers are to be considered" means you judge players based on what they achieved in their test careers, be it in terms of stats or impact, or whatever your yardsticks are. We all knew and acknowledged that part when we signed up, which is why I don't consider Richards a good pick at all. It's a bit like picking Philander and claiming he's one of the best bowlers in the draft pool.

Or maybe I got the meaning of that blurb completely wrong - could Aldo please confirm?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Draft is mostly about judging; what Richards did in those 4 tests and his overall career provide enough semblance of what he could achieve in long expanded International Career. Couldn't find enough reasons why he wouldn't score heavily in this draft or any draft for that matter once he's eligible for selection and thus I did the swap if that clears the point of selecting him :unsure:

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
You're misunderstanding me completely.

I'm not disputing Richards' eligibility or quality, I'm merely saying that "only test careers are to be considered" means you judge players based on what they achieved in their test careers, be it in terms of stats or impact, or whatever your yardsticks are. We all knew and acknowledged that part when we signed up, which is why I don't consider Richards a good pick at all. It's a bit like picking Philander and claiming he's one of the best bowlers in the draft pool.

Or maybe I got the meaning of that blurb completely wrong - could Aldo please confirm?
You repeated what I said when he was picked initially. There was a reason to put the rule that said only test career is considered. So yeah, 4 tests are way too less to count him as a good pick. Great player yes, but not a good pick in this draft.

But then voters wouldn't read much into the rules.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Draft is mostly about judging; what Richards did in those 4 tests and his overall career provide enough semblance of what he could achieve in long expanded International Career. Couldn't find enough reasons why he wouldn't score heavily in this draft or any draft for that matter once he's eligible for selection and thus I did the swap if that clears the point of selecting him :unsure:
We are not picking players in this draft based on what they "could" have done, but what they actually did.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
We are not picking players in this draft based on what they "could" have done, but what they actually did.
The main point of drafting is assumption and judgement; we would never know how an ATG player would fare in real life and situation against certain bowling attacks that we set for our team. Let's say you chose Mark Taylor as your opening batsman, how would you know that how many runs he's going to actually score against let's say an attack with Hadlee and Garner? Basically you did an assumption by watching him play or reading stats and chose him as your opener and have faith that he would score against Hadlee/Garner. That's what it is- judgement and assumption.

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Yes but at the same time, consistency over a period of time is the first and the most basic thing to call someone a good pick, no? Again, had Barry played 50-100 matches, he would have been up with the likes of Viv, Lara and Sachin, but he didn't and "in this draft" that is a big negative.

But like I said, don't worry too much. Anyone who just looks at your team to vote would give him credit, it is just the participants of this draft who are familiar with the rules who might chalk off some points due to that.