• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Case for Kallis

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one can begrudge kallis anything now, imo. His legend has just grown enormously over the last few years, and this match was pretty much the culmination... an absolute hero :wub:
Quite true. In fact, he now may even have a shout out for the 3rd most successful cricketer of all time. Murali, Marshall, McGrath, Hobbs and Tendulkar being the other contenders in my view.

Xuhaib

International Coach
for me just on batting alone he's already overtaken Dravid and Ponting maybe even Lara, Sachin is the only one among his peers I would put ahead of him and if Kallis can sustain this for another 12 months I may even put him above Tendy.

harsh.ag

for me just on batting alone he's already overtaken Dravid and Ponting maybe even Lara, Sachin is the only one among his peers I would put ahead of him and if Kallis can sustain this for another 12 months I may even put him above Tendy.
On batting alone, he doesn't hold a light to any of Sachin, Lara or Ponting. Belittling of Ponting has gone to too great a depth if Kallis is considered a greater batsman. After them, the best of the rest.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Shoulda let his hair go instead of getting it transplanted, the he could have been almost as good as Brian Close.

kingkallis

International Coach
I found this on Reddit, not half an hour ago.

I replied with the following:

Kallis vs Sobers is a debate that will never be settled - there's always another stat trotted out by someone to prove Kallis was a better bowler on overcast Wednesdays in England whilst suffering from the flu, and there's always another one to prove the exact opposite. What can be agreed, however, is that they're the two best batting all-rounders in history (I say batting to avoid Imran Khan fans and my personal man-crush on Keith Miller from coming in to things).

Kallis holds his own with the best of the best in this era - however he's underrated because nothing he does stands out. He works hard, makes runs, takes wickets and fields well, however he never had the extreme beauty of a Lara, the sheer following and weight of runs of a Tendulkar, the devastation of a Ponting or the gentlemanly exterior of a Dravid. He doesn't need the reputation; he gets the job done.

When he bowls, he was always overshadowed by a Donald, Pollock or Steyn - three quicks with every right to claim a starting XI place in any all-time XI. He doesn't have the prodigious swing of a Steyn, the raw pace of Donald, or the accuracy of a Pollock. He doesn't need the reputation; he just gets the job done.

In the field, he never had the figure to be a Gibbs, de Villiers or Rhodes. But in the slips he had a safe pair of hands. He didn't need a reputation; he gets the job done.

He never played the big innings until recently - he was head-and-shoulders above Mark Waugh as the bets batsman never to make a double ton (until he did, of course). He made the runs he needed to in tough situations. He wasn't exciting or fashionable, but whenever he came up against Australia, he was the batsman I feared most.

The only thing that tarnishes his legacy is his perceived selfishness - and I'm not convinced on that. Even if there is an element there, it has been blown way out of proportion. And he wouldn't be anywhere as selfish as a Kevin Pietersen, who fans wax lyrical about due to his excitement. Sure, Kallis doesn't bat like AB de Villiers, playing reverse sweeps, scoops and belting sixes for fun. But he took to Twenty/20 cricket perfectly - he is every bit as good, if not as exciting.

If anything, Kallis is too good to be remembered as good. His legacy is driven by raw numbers, not his look, his personality or landmark innings. He flies under the radar in an unfashionable team of showmen and personality (you see comparatively few South African fans on the internet, in my experience, and RSA has been shafted in the amount of Tests they've played in the last few years).

He is the Garfield Sobers of this era.

They don't call it Kallisball for nothing.

Fantastic read; great article.
Great reply! Loved these lines cause its so damn true --> He didn't need a reputation; he gets the job done.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He is a tremendous cricketer. To do what he's done over a long period of time shows how tough he is as well.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
For me, Kallis is the second greatest ever all rounder just ahead of Imran and Miller and he has surpassed Dravid as a batsman but I would have no reservations in saying that he is not as good a batsman as any of the afore mentioned gentlemen.
Lara and Ponting were dominating batsmen who won matches for their teams and no one has ever matched the sheer weight of runs of Tendulkar. For all of the numbers it still comes down to the eye ball test and Kallis has never matched the creative genius and sheer beauty of Lara, the technical brilliance and consistency of Tendulkar or the brutality and match winning ability of Ponting.

howardj

International Coach
Sooner or later the stats become so overwhelming, that every argument against a player, just melts away

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
sports are for entertainment. for a large majority of his career he didn't provide that whether it be ODIs or tests, so it will strongly go against him.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Sports are also about winning, and Kallis has contributed a lot of innings that have lead to South African wins in his career.

I have calculated the number of times a batsman has played an innings that has contributed to a team win and Kallis is no.3 on the list:

1. Ponting 66
2. Waugh 49
3. Kallis 48
4. Tendulkar 44
5. Dravid 42
5. Gilchrist 42

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
'Matchwinning' knocks as a stat just aren't reliable imo. Chanderpaul would get severely ****ed over if you compared using that basis for example.

Days of Grace

International Captain
'Matchwinning' knocks as a stat just aren't reliable imo. Chanderpaul would get severely ****ed over if you compared using that basis for example.
Also looking to add on innings that contributed to a team drawing the match when under pressure, tbh. Should help Border and Chanderpaul, who only have 27 and 25, respectively.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Sooner or later the stats become so overwhelming, that every argument against a player, just melts away
Over the last couple of years he's gone a long way towards dealing with pretty much all of his criticisms. A faster scoring rate, two double centuries, and two courages knocks while injured. A true cricketing hero. :wub:

Satyanash89

Banned
Over the last couple of years he's gone a long way towards dealing with pretty much all of his criticisms. A faster scoring rate, two double centuries, and two courages knocks while injured. A true cricketing hero. :wub:
Its almost as if Kallis lurks on CW and specifically tries to prove his online critics wrong :D
Imo, as a batsmen i put him below Sachin and Lara, equal to Ponting and above Dravid, Sanga, Waugh.

smash84

The Tiger King
kallis is very under rated indeed but his bowling doesn't inspire much confidence given a wpm of less than 2

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
But every time Kallis is unable to bowl, you recognize that SA attack is lacking in depth. In a role of being the fifth bowler in the team, he has done as well or better than anyone else ever.

Last edited:

stephen

kallis is very under rated indeed but his bowling doesn't inspire much confidence given a wpm of less than 2
But every time Kallis is unable to bowl, you recognize that SA attack is lacking in depth. In a role of being the fifth bowler in the team, he has done as well or better than anyone else ever.
that is a fair point
When you are primarily there as a batsman and are playing in a team which generally has had a very strong pace attack, taking under 2wpm shouldn't really count against you.

Seriously, I'm certain that Kallis would have way more wickets if he played for India or Sri Lanka. Watson has under 2 wpm as a bowler as well.

With Kallis what you get is a batsman who is only distinguishable from the best in his era by a marginally slower strike rate and thrown in you get a servicable bowler who adds depth and variety to a bowling attack that generally lacks variety. He's not the most aggressive batsman, he's not the most spectacular bowler. But he's the ultimate professional. You can guarantee that he will contribute to the side every time he's picked.

smash84

The Tiger King
When you are primarily there as a batsman and are playing in a team which generally has had a very strong pace attack, taking under 2wpm shouldn't really count against you.

Seriously, I'm certain that Kallis would have way more wickets if he played for India or Sri Lanka. Watson has under 2 wpm as a bowler as well.

With Kallis what you get is a batsman who is only distinguishable from the best in his era by a marginally slower strike rate and thrown in you get a servicable bowler who adds depth and variety to a bowling attack that generally lacks variety. He's not the most aggressive batsman, he's not the most spectacular bowler. But he's the ultimate professional. You can guarantee that he will contribute to the side every time he's picked.
Yes, but where would you rank him in the pantheon of great all rounders?

Above Sobers? Above Miller or Imran?