• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Case for Kallis

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Marc has been vocal about Kallis' bowling for years, something along the lines of he only bowls when he wants to get easy wickets or something similar. If I recall most of this was surrounding the Kallis vs. Flintoff debate 5-6 years ago.

Would have thought the fact that a 37 year old guy is still running in and bowling for his team after often batting hours the previous day has well and truly put that theory to bed.

DDP

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Marc has been vocal about Kallis' bowling for years, something along the lines of he only bowls when he wants to get easy wickets or something similar. If I recall most of this was surrounding the Kallis vs. Flintoff debate 5-6 years ago.

Would have thought the fact that a 37 year old guy is still running in and bowling for his team after often batting hours the previous day has well and truly put that theory to bed.
Not forgetting that he bowls exclusively with the older ball now days given the excellence of the front three seamers. 'easy wickets' indeed.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
My new car rego plates I just ordered. For real. Honda Accord for no frills reliability and best all round value. I'm sure he won't mind :ph34r:

Attachments

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I don't quite understand the case for Kallis being selfish in the Webster's sense. Could someone put up a list of the incidents where he made this selfishness obvious?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I know while it was happening, we made comments about it several times. It'd be an interesting excercise to search through and compile that list.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My new car rego plates I just ordered. For real. Honda Accord for no frills reliability and best all round value. I'm sure he won't mind :ph34r:
I tried to get Vangipurapu Venkata Sai Laxman on mine. ****ing NSW Roads said no.

Obviously racist.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Probably the thing which I find most interesting about Kallis is how people rate him in ODIs. In Tests I think he's rated fairly, an ATG batting all rounder who has been enormous for SA producing so many crucial performances.

In ODIs though I'm amazed when people pick him in their all time ODI XI's - I just don't see it at all.
IMO, he's ruthlessly excoriated for playing within his means in limited overs games. Kallis isn't paid to heave balls over long-on or bowl 90mph reverse swinging yorkers. He keeps a lid on the scoring rate and pushes the ball into gaps at a serviceable SR. Not an ODI standout but he's a fantastic assets for the variety of unnoticed stuff he brings to the table.

Does he decide when he gets thrown the ball, or where the ball gets pitched at him? I don't know, and I doubt anyone beyond the dressing room could fairly presume to.

On something slightly more tangential, I think there's a reasonable case to be made for the entire bottom order to make up batting/bowling all rounders.

An example would be:

1. AC Gilchrist+
2. SR Tendulkar
3. RT Ponting
4. IVA Richards
5. A Symonds
6. N Kapil Dev
7. IT Botham
8. Imran Khan
9. RJ Hadlee
10. Wasim Akram
11. SK Warne*

Theoretically, being able to hit out for 50 overs would outweigh McGrath's absence. IMO etc.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
IMO, he's ruthlessly excoriated for playing within his means in limited overs games. Kallis isn't paid to heave balls over long-on or bowl 90mph reverse swinging yorkers. He keeps a lid on the scoring rate and pushes the ball into gaps at a serviceable SR. Not an ODI standout but he's a fantastic assets for the variety of unnoticed stuff he brings to the table.

Does he decide when he gets thrown the ball, or where the ball gets pitched at him? I don't know, and I doubt anyone beyond the dressing room could fairly presume to.

On something slightly more tangential, I think there's a reasonable case to be made for the entire bottom order to make up batting/bowling all rounders.

An example would be:

1. AC Gilchrist+
2. SR Tendulkar
3. RT Ponting
4. IVA Richards
5. A Symonds
6. N Kapil Dev
7. IT Botham
8. Imran Khan
9. RJ Hadlee
10. Wasim Akram
11. SK Warne*

Theoretically, being able to hit out for 50 overs would outweigh McGrath's absence. IMO etc.
I agree mostly. I think in an ATG XI you should have 5 high quality bowlers. You play a wk who can bat top six (Gilchrist or Dhoni)

I'd still play McGrath and Garner, either Murali or Warne as the spinner, and then two of Imran, Kapil, Wasim, Hadlee or Botham at 7 and 8. I'd prefer Imran and Kapil as they're better batsmen.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
wouldn't put him at the same level as tendulkar and lara, both of whom were blessed with genius. (or, for that matter, sobers, viv and barry richards), but better than ponting and dravid.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

That's interesting because he tends to bowl a lot when he's playing England.

Lol, Kallis vs. Flintoff debate.

Satyanash89

Banned
No one can begrudge kallis anything now, imo. His legend has just grown enormously over the last few years, and this match was pretty much the culmination... an absolute hero :wub: