• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Case for Kallis

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But your comment was players you have seen, not careers you have seen...
Yeah, since I started following cricket...

EDIT: Actually **** that argument; I think Kallis is better than Tendulkar anyway. He's so much more valuable on a game-by-game basis that he adds more overall value even despite having a shorter career. Deal with it.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Yeah, since I started following cricket...
ex: say you started watching at time t

Then we can say you've seen players who played after time t. Careers from time t is a different statement.

re the rest
itstl 40% is a LOT of matches for tendulkar to lord it over the average (borderline) player, for kallis' bowling.

(Fwiw I think Kallis will play on after tendulkar finishes making this a moot point)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
it's not the numbers but the manner in which he plays "ugly and boring" leads others to not rate him highly..
Even though I don't find him boring I can see why some would, but I just cannot see how anyone can say he's an ugly player. At least with the bat. His strokeplay is great to watch.

His bowling action at times may have too much chest in it, but him bowling some jaffers that beat the bat and then outswinging half volleys that get wickets always makes me smile :D

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Probably the thing which I find most interesting about Kallis is how people rate him in ODIs. In Tests I think he's rated fairly, an ATG batting all rounder who has been enormous for SA producing so many crucial performances.

In ODIs though I'm amazed when people pick him in their all time ODI XI's - I just don't see it at all.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Even though I don't find him boring I can see why some would, but I just cannot see how anyone can say he's an ugly player. At least with the bat. His strokeplay is great to watch.

His bowling action at times may have too much chest in it, but him bowling some jaffers that beat the bat and then outswinging half volleys that get wickets always makes me smile :D
when i said ugly i meant "robot-like grace" which does not endear him(his batting) to many..as they say "aesthetics hold sway". In kallis case it does not and also his failure against aus and eng..

MrPrez

International Debutant
when i said ugly i meant "robot-like grace" which does not endear him(his batting) to many..as they say "aesthetics hold sway". In kallis case it does not and also his failure against aus and eng..
Depending on your viewpoint - to some its "robot-like grace" but to others its "royalty."

Kallis is without a doubt the most beautiful batsman I have ever watched. I honestly don't see Ponting and Tendulkar being more aesthetically pleasing as Kallis, although I obviously have a heckload of bias.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Depending on your viewpoint - to some its "robot-like grace" but to others its "royalty."

Kallis is without a doubt the most beautiful batsman I have ever watched. I honestly don't see Ponting and Tendulkar being more aesthetically pleasing as Kallis, although I obviously have a heckload of bias.
He is not even the second-beautiful batsman in his team..IMO

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I rate Kallis and Murali the two best cricketers of the last 20 years so yeah the guy is an absolute legend.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see it personally. The most cardboard/boring elite batsman of his era, by a mile IMO.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
In recent times its Kallis' bowling which has really impressed me. People used to argue that he wasn't a real allrounder, don't see it at all. More than useful fourth seamer.