Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Case for Kallis

agree with the above ^^. Pollock did have "show of brilliance" in early part of his career, in later part he become more of a bowler who would take 2-3 wickets in every match instead of someone who would take 10 in one match then wouldn't take any wicket in next few matches.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Yeah well I would bet neither his team or his partners felt it easy when Viv Richards threw his wickets away without assessing the situation of the game like we have seen Peterson do so many times.
    Pick the bloke who never actually saw Viv play live.

The only reason Pietersen and Viv are comparable is because of their physical styles, really. Pietersen plays in isolation to the match situation and what his team-mates are doing, Viv lifted the other guys around him. Totally different team players.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-11-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Barrington, Border, Steve Waugh, Lawry started out as dashers and pared back their games and cut shots out of their games to be sucessful. It's much more difficult to be aggressive like Sachin, Brian and Ricky and succeed. Kallis and Chanderpaul bats in a vacum regardless of situation and sometimes even placing more pressure on the other batsmen in the team to score while they play for their averages.
    1st XI
    Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman* | Richards^ | Tendulkar | Sobers5^ | Gilchrist+ | Khan3 | Marshall1 | Warne4^ | McGrath2
    2nd XI
    Sutcliffe | Gavaskar* | Headley | Chappell^ | Lara^ | Kallis5^ | Knott+ | Hadlee3 | Ambrose2 | Lillee1 | Muralitharan4
    3rd XI
    Greenidge | Richards^ | Ponting^ | Pollock | Hammond^ | Worrell5* | Waite+ | Akram3 | Steyn1 | Holding2 | O'Reilly4
    4th XI
    Morris | Simpson^ | Sangakkara | Weekes^ | Border*^ | Walcott+ | Faulkner5 | Laker4 | Trueman1 | Garner3 | Donald2

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Barrington, Border, Steve Waugh, Lawry started out as dashers and pared back their games and cut shots out of their games to be sucessful. It's much more difficult to be aggressive like Sachin, Brian and Ricky and succeed. Kallis and Chanderpaul bats in a vacum regardless of situation and sometimes even placing more pressure on the other batsmen in the team to score while they play for their averages.
    you can say same thing about others, they just play aggressive regardless of the situation. Also everyone is saying that Kallis plays for his average. is there any scorecard/proof which shows Kallis played for his average?

Quote Originally Posted by unam View Post
    you can say same thing about others, they just play aggressive regardless of the situation. Also everyone is saying that Kallis plays for his average. is there any scorecard/proof which shows Kallis played for his average?
    If you did, you'd be wrong. All of those blokes have numerous knocks where they've changed their play with due regard to the situation.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Pick the bloke who never actually saw Viv play live.

The only reason Pietersen and Viv are comparable is because of their physical styles, really. Pietersen plays in isolation to the match situation and what his team-mates are doing, Viv lifted the other guys around him. Totally different team players.
    Well you would be disappointed to find out I did see Richrads play in the later part of his career. And he did throw his wickets away from time. I was young back then so I didn't really understand about assessing the situation but I remember my dad commenting on it who was watching it live with me saying how needlessly got out trying to go for a big shot when it was completely unnecessary. Every aggressive player gets out trying to go for boundaries from time to time its just in their nature. All it takes is a tiny second of mistiming.

If you did, you'd be wrong. All of those blokes have numerous knocks where they've changed their play with due regard to the situation.
    And you would be wrong thinking Kallis never played aggressively in his career when they needed him to.
    Last edited by Inferno; 27-11-2012 at 05:12 PM.

I didn't comment on Kallis' play....

Cricket Spectator
    I didn't comment on Kallis' play....
    Sorry I thought you were agreeing with kyear2.

Just to be fair I don't think Richrads couldn't assess the situation and change his play, Just saying if you really wanna stereotype you can do it for both players. What I'm also finding it hard to understand is how he can say Sehwag can't be compared with Richrads because he is a "flat track bully" yet he is comparing Chanderpaul with literally the same record with Kallis.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I honestly believe that Kallis played conservatively because he was asked to be the bedrock of the team for much of his career. He was the prized wicket, the person who would rebuild to a decent score.

I think since Amla burst onto the scene ( last 4 years), Kallis has started to play with much more freedom. He realises or knows that Amla is the new bedrock and He ( Kallis) can play his normal game.

T20's have also improved Kallis as a player IMO. The turning point was when he was left out of the T20 World Cup because he was percieved as being to slow. He works on his game continously and is constantly reinventing himself to stay relevant.

One has to remember that as All rounder, he is by far and away the greatest of his generation. How many other all rounders are still doing their stuff at 37? Mad Respect for kallis.

Can't think of a single all-rounder who was still their team's number 1 player at 37 ever, tbh. Even well before they actually retired, Kapil, Both and Imran had all dropped their pace quite a bit to prolong their careers and were obviously not their teams number 1 bats by then. In the case of Imran, had pretty much stopped bowling completely.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Kallis is some cricketer isn't he? I mean he isn't a match winner but has won the most man of the match awards by a test cricketer.
    Yeah that was such a funny statement from kyear2.
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    just search the forum and you will find a lot of funny statements from kyear2
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Ponting has declined badly for the past 3 years now and it will tarnish an almost impecible career. He should have hung up his boots at 35.

Quote Originally Posted by popepouri View Post
    Ponting has declined badly for the past 3 years now and it will tarnish an almost impecible career. He should have hung up his boots at 35.
    NOOOOOOOOO....Every time he comes out to bat I glue to TV and hope he will score 100, unfortunately these days by the time I get settled down and get ready to watch some classic drives of Ponting, Ponting goes back to pavilion.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information