• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TV drama about WSC premieres on Aussie TV tonight

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It'll be ok, but actors always have trouble portraying elite sportsmen. Actors are rarely alpha males.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope its better than that dreadful dramatisation of the Bodyline series, though I expect it to be equally poor

Jayzamann

International Regular
Well considering the amount of Olympics I've been watching, I certainly haven't forgotten about this being on telly later on.

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I hope its better than that dreadful dramatisation of the Bodyline series, though I expect it to be equally poor
Bodyline was worthwhile for Percy Fender and his banjo alone.

I'll wager anything that this one's terrible too. Sport does not translate to TV drama very well.

fredfertang

I actually really liked that.
Well I did sit through the whole thing, and did quite enjoy it in the sense that I was one of those annoying ****s who kept tutting and pointing out the historical inaccuracies to everyone else in the room, all of whom were far too polite to tell me to **** off

I suppose it's a bit like *** really in the sense that however bad it is it's still basically an enjoyable exercise (I appreciate that the female perspective on that will usually be different)

Red

Well I did sit through the whole thing, and did quite enjoy it in the sense that I was one of those annoying ****s who kept tutting and pointing out the historical inaccuracies to everyone else in the room, all of whom were far too polite to tell me to **** off

I suppose it's a bit like *** really in the sense that however bad it is it's still basically an enjoyable exercise (I appreciate that the female perspective on that will usually be different)
:laugh:

It was a very Australia-centric production, wasn't it?

Red

The cricket always looks so lame in these things. Sort of like Xmas as a kid when your non-sporty uncle tried to have a hit in the backyard.

fredfertang

The cricket always looks so lame in these things. Sort of like Xmas as a kid when your non-sporty uncle tried to have a hit in the backyard.
That was by far the worst thing about it - the historical inaccuracies I could accept, after all they were producing it primarily for an Australian audience, but the fact that anyone with only a limited knowledge of cricket would think that Larwood, Voce and Allen bowled with those ridiculous actions was what really pissed me off - it didn't help that the bloke who played Hammond clearly could bowl and looked by far the best of the England bowlers - they could have improved it no end by using the actual footage from the Tests rather than those crass action sequences that they filmed

Jager

International Debutant
@Tangy especially since Larwood had the second most attractive action I've ever seen.

Is attractive the right word there? :mellow:

Red

@Tangy especially since Larwood had the second most attractive action I've ever seen.

Is attractive the right word there? :mellow:
Lindwall your fave?

Bowlers with good fluent actions to watch imo: Lillee, Lindwall, Larwood, Holding, Imran.

Then there's Bob Willis. Weirdest run up ever.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Howzat: Kerry Packer's War premieres tonight here.

Be happy to hear the thoughts of those who watch it in this thread.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In keeping with the cricketing theme, we'll miss the last 20 minutes of it to watch A Current Affair

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Will be recording it because the SA vs. Eng test is on. But will definitely watch it at some point.