• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TV drama about WSC premieres on Aussie TV tonight

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Like a little cricket bat with holes in it"

Fmd I remember that Nutrigrain ad with Tony Greig in it.

Burgey

Ok, last week was good, but this is my childhood being shown on tv tonight.

And I only just realised Come On Aussie, Come On is a limerick.

stumpski

International Captain
This era also gave birth to some quality adverts.

Toohey's Classics 20 - YouTube

It's a little known fact it took upwards of 30 takes for Whitney to get bat on ball.
Why would Mike Whitney have been facing Joel Garner without a helmet? Surely, of all people, it should have been Peter Toohey!

Part 1 is on Youtube btw, for anyone in the UK who fancies a look. Enjoyable nonsense.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Kerry Packer Howzat?

Anyone watched this dramatisation of the WSC. Personally thought it was really good and enjoyed the different actors portraying the players. The Don Bradman references were really funny as well. Shame they didn't have Imran though.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Got around to watching this on youtube last night.

Half really enjoyed it and half thought it was really lame.

Some of the actors trying to bat in the nets were very very funny. Bat and pad weren't close together!

Thought the references to "the Don" were a bit weird and odd. Like he was pulling all the strings from behind the scenes, Godfather style. Not true I think.

Red

Everything I've read indicates that that was basically true, tbh.
What was Bradman's actual role within the cricket establishment during WSC?

I think Chappeli had approached him earlier than WSC, when he was president of the SACA, looking to set up some sort of superannuation and payment scheme for state/Aus cricketers, which was denied.

Burgey

I think by that time Bradman was officially no longer part of the Board, but still held a shed load of clout.

The weird thing about his attitude to WSC was that when he played he was all for cricketers getting a fairer go, money-wise. He nearly went to play for Accrington, and he was prepared to sit out the 32-33 series to continue writing for the Sydney Sun if the then Board maintained its stnace he was illegible to play if writing, because he wasn't a "professional journalist". Frank Packer stepped in and released him from his agreement.

Massive double standards on his part, really.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rumour has it they were supposed to have Bradman actually be on camera in the series. They tried to get Sachin Tendulkar to play him but he wasn't available during the months they were shooting.

Red

Something I find surprising is how few people attended the initial matches. I'd have thought with Lillee, Chappells, Marsh and the WIs etc all playing, in conjunction with the controversy around it, that people would have turned up by the thousands to see it kick off.

Might reveal how conservative most Australians really are, in spite of the fact they claim they are laconic and anti-establishment etc.

Burgey

It was largely seen as nothing more than a cash grab by a lot of people when it started, and also Packer didn't endear himself to a lot of people with his approach, despite what the series showed you. Back in that era commercial networks didn't go to regional areas either, so some people saw it as depriving country people from seeing the game (Personally that doesn't worry me. If you want to live with fly blown sheep that's a matter for you, but the point stands - it annoyed people). Plus, Australia were beating India in the establishment test series. The following year the Poms came out and Australia got smashed, which turned a lot of people off.

Also keep in mind it was the first real foray into full time professional team-based sport here. In the 70s, Rugby League and Aussie Rules players were still working full time then training afterwards.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
A lot of people thought of it as mickey mouse cricket, until David Hookes got hit on the head by Andy Roberts. People started to realise that these guys were actually giving it their all.

uvelocity

International Coach
the cricket doubles were mainly young aussie players too, salpietro, handscomb. the west indian double was darrel brown who played a couple of ODI's for WI