• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TV drama about WSC premieres on Aussie TV tonight

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was about getting Lillee. He was cricket here back then.

Ian Chappell tells the story of Cornell or Robertson visitng the Australians on tour in the lead up and discussing whether cricketer understood the language of money. To illustrate a point they said to Lillee they would give him $50 a run over 20. Australia had suffered a bit of a collapse and Lillee immediately did the team thing and went and got a promotion in the order, nearly ran out to bat, belted the first ball for six and turned around with a big **** eating grin on his face at the dressing room. Max Walker risked a close friendship by ending the innings and leaving Lillee 29 or so not out.

At the innings break they again approached Lillee and offered him $100 a wicket. There was about half an hour of play left in the day. Lillee took four in the time available, and seemed to prove the point that cricketers understand how money works.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Chappelli said:
If most of the scenes in tonight's telemovie Howzat! are depicted verbatim, then the bleep operator will be working overtime.
No bleep required, I guess.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I fell asleep on the couch before it. Is it repeated?

Burgey

Packer was obviously a prick, so it's no wonder his secretary Rhonda had to go to Bali and sit on the beach getting sunburnt.

Top_Cat

Aussie TV seems to work best when they have good primary sources about events that were well documented. When you have strong sources, first-person accounts, good reporting, etc., you get this and the first season of Underbelly. When you don't and you have to use your imagination a bit, you get Puberty Blues.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was interesting following some journalists talking about it all on twitter.

One of the journos who broke the story whilst in England then took a competitor on the golf course the next day so that they wouldn't get the chance of cottoning onto the story.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Good series....some points I didn't know...

Ian Chappell was captain of WSC Australia, even though Greg Chappell was captain of legit Australia (before and after WSC)

David Hookes wanted to get out of his WSC contract....he might have been great if so as he had just played 6 Tests and could have played 24 more Tests while the stars were away...not to mention maybe missing his broken jaw...

Gary Cosier was a current Aussie Test players that Kerry Packer didn't choose...I thought he only got a game because stars were away...checked and see Craig Serjeant was also a current test player that wasn't picked

Kerry Packer (in the show) stated that he only wanted pace bowlers (with minimum spinners)...so he was to blame for creating the WI model that demolished the rest of the world in the 80's

Finally, I just realised that Packer seemed to only pick exciting/attacking cricketers, so who would miss out today :)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Watched it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed Part 1. Lachy Hulme has done a bloody good job as Packer I reckon. How he compares to Rob Carlton who played Packer in "Paper Giants" I'm not sure.

Channel 9 have got the sequel to Paper Giants so they'll basically have two shows with two different actors playing Packer, lol.