Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is KP an ATG Test Batsman?

Is KP an ATG Test Batsman?

With all the KP soap dramas, and now that there's no guarantee he will play another Test. Purely in terms of his batting career, would Pietersen go down as an ATG Test batsman? I am sitting on the fence on this one. As an entertainer, definitely. As a run scorer, possibly.

FTR this is what Statsguru has his stats at, excluding Bangladesh and Zimbabwe:

M I No Runs HS Ave SR 100 50
    84 144 6 6734 227 48.79 62.78 21 24

Let war declared be...

Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    With all the KP soap dramas, and now that there's no guarantee he will play another Test. Purely in terms of his batting career, would Pietersen go down as an ATG Test batsman? I am sitting on the fence on this one. As an entertainer, definitely. As a run scorer, possibly.

FTR this is what Statsguru has his stats at, excluding Bangladesh and Zimbabwe:

M I No Runs HS Ave SR 100 50
    84 144 6 6734 227 48.79 62.78 21 24

Let war declared be...
    If the definition of ATG is near automatic selection in your nation's all time best XI, he's kind of almost an ATG.
    Hutton - Gavaskar - Bradman - Tendulkar - V.Richards - Sobers - Knott - Warne - Marshall - Lillee - Ambrose

International 12th Man
    Surely off-field goings-on affect whether you are an all-time great, as well.

For me he is, the skill the swagger and yes the arrogance. He made Cricinfo's England's AT XI a couple years ago and he has only got better. Definate yes for me.
    1st XI
    Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman* | Richards^ | Tendulkar | Sobers5^ | Gilchrist+ | Khan3 | Marshall1 | Warne4^ | McGrath2
    2nd XI
    Sutcliffe | Gavaskar* | Headley | Chappell^ | Lara^ | Kallis5^ | Knott+ | Hadlee3 | Ambrose2 | Lillee1 | Muralitharan4
    3rd XI
    Greenidge | Richards^ | Ponting^ | Pollock | Hammond^ | Worrell5* | Waite+ | Akram3 | Steyn1 | Holding2 | O'Reilly4
    4th XI
    Morris | Simpson^ | Sangakkara | Weekes^ | Border*^ | Walcott+ | Faulkner5 | Laker4 | Trueman1 | Garner3 | Donald2

KP is a talented cricketer, who can score runs for fun, and at the rate of knots, but his temperament at the crease and attitude off the field makes me question whether he is an ATG.
    "[Ray Jennings] was to orthodoxy what King Herod was to child-minding" - Mike Atherton on the South African coach

No.

He would struggle to make the current World XI

Kallis, Sanga, Clarke surely ahead of him might squeeze in at the 6th spot.

U19 Debutant
    No. Has played some great innings, but I'd pick David Gower, for instance, ahead of him. And I'm pretty sure DG isn't considered ATG.
    "In 2009 he lost his old, faded India cap, when it was stolen from a ground. He was very, very upset about it. It was dear to him and he was extremely proud to wear it."

Vijeeta Dravid on her husband Rahul, March 2012

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Clearly one of Englands best bats in the modern era.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

ATG pom yeah I guess

ATG world no
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    For me he is, the skill the swagger and yes the arrogance. He made Cricinfo's England's AT XI a couple years ago and he has only got better. Definate yes for me.
    Agreed. He ranked highly here too: The ATG World XI's game
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar
    nope, no

most of the cases he has come to rescue of England and has been shown to be so good only because rest batted like ****s most of the time

So, no.

Probably would go close if he had a "full" career but if it actually does end now then no, IMO.
    ~ Cribbage

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Probably would go close if he had a "full" career but if it actually does end now then no, IMO.
    What do you mean by "full"?

Isn't 88 Test matches a pretty "full" career and numerous enough to make a proper judgement on his cricketing ability and impact on Test match cricket?
    Last edited by watson; 16-08-2012 at 12:32 AM.
    PRE WWI
    Grace-Trumper-Hill-Taylor-Ranjitsinhji-Faulkner-Noble-Lilley-Turner-Richardson-Barnes
    PRE WWII
    Hobbs-Sutcliffe-Bradman-Hammond-Headley-Macartney-Ames-Gregory-Larwood-O'Reilly-Grimmett
    POST WWII
    Hutton-Simpson-Kanhai-Pollock-Harvey-Sobers-Waite-Benaud-Davidson-Lindwall-Trueman
    PACKER ERA
    Gavaskar-Greenidge-Richards-Chappell-Lloyd-Botham-Imran-Knott-Lillee-Holding-Underwood
    MODERN ERA
    Hayden-Langer-Ponting-Tendulkar-Lara-Kallis-Gilchrist-Marshall-Warne-Ambrose-McGrath

Banned
    No. 50+ avg is required.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    What do you mean by "full"?

Isn't 88 Test matches a pretty "full" career and numerous enough to make a proper judgement on his cricketing ability and impact on Test match cricket?
    Not really, no, especially when he's in the sort of form he's in now. Raw test numbers can be misleading.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information