• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alan Donald vs Joel Garner

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
I was having this dilemma while i was drafting.

So who do you think was better among the two and why?

I would like to hear because i have seen neither play during there times but only in few replays that come on TV.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd say they're about the same in both test and ODI. Different types of quicks, but both equally lethal and skilful.

Without doubt two of the best ODI bowlers ever.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
I'd say they're about the same in both test and ODI. Different types of quicks, but both equally lethal and skilful.

Without doubt two of the best ODI bowlers ever.
So if you had to choose one, who would you root for?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I would go for Donald personally. Faster, more aggressive and was a true spear head, while Garner was more of a support bowler for most of his career. Both ATGs though and the gap isnt large at all.

watson

Banned
Possibly Donald is the greater bowler because he helped make South Africa great again during their period of transition. As for the better bowler, well that's anyone's guess.

However, bowlers bowl as part of a team so a lot depends on who is helping them at the other end. Would Donald and Garner have their superb records without the help of Pollock and Marshall? The same idea goes for McGrath and Warne, Lillee and Thomson, Lindwall and Miller, Trueman and Statham, and so on.

When I look at someones ATG team I look at the combination of bowlers and try to work out whether they would succeed as a coordinated team, rather than just look at each bowler individually.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Garner was the superior ODI bowler, like others I prefer Donald overall, since he was more of a strike bowler than Garner.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I reckon his signature is a bit of a give away there...
Yeh, Garner just. The combo of him and McGrath would put so much pressure on the opposition batsmen.

I'd rate Donald as the third best ODI paceman ever, but I take Imran and Kapil in my team as two bowling all rounders ahead of him as I like 5 genuine bowling options without weakening the batting at 6, 7 and 8.

As a test bowler, hard to call. Donald just I think, but it's bloody hard to argue with Garner's stats. The guy was a beast.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh, I'm a bit puzzled by this idea that Garner was a support bowler or McGrath-like. Always thought he was incredibly attacking and kept his average and economy rate in check by just taking the **** out then laying the pressure on the new ****.

Garner for me.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, good point. Hookesy in his bio said when Garner played for SA, he was the gun and Hogg was the support guy, Garner's trajectory more likely to take poles on Adelaide Oval.

Also said he used to fart a lot which sorta explains why, with Hookesy's spot being in slips, Garner was on the fence most days instead of gully where he was a beast for the WI.

smash84

The Tiger King
Also said he used to fart a lot which sorta explains why, with Hookesy's spot being in slips, Garner was on the fence most days instead of gully where he was a beast for the WI[/B].
:laugh:

No wonder he was known as the black wind :ph34r:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I would go for Donald personally. Faster, more aggressive and was a true spear head, while Garner was more of a support bowler for most of his career. Both ATGs though and the gap isnt large at all.
Garner was a support bowler ? I am just shocked at the ignorance at display here. I mean ..Did someone just really say that Garner was a Support Bowler ??????

WTF ??:unsure::laugh::-O:@:w00t::mad2::wallbash::surprise::eek::disgust:

watson

Banned
That's right.

Roberts then Holding then Marshall then Ambrose were the respective senior bowlers and 'spearheads' of the West Indian attack. Garner, Croft, Bishop, and Walsh never made it to 'top dog' status.