• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alan Donald vs Joel Garner

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Garner's height is massively overrated. There were many bowlers of similar heights, notably Ambrose (6' 8") and McGrath (6' 6"). Tremlett, Harmison, Broad, Rankin, Finn are current ones I could think of who are around that height ctgory. If some one argues that he difference of 3 inches in height (5-6 on bowling height) makes such a difference they need to geth their heads checked.
Comparing a Marshall to a Finn obviously has no merits solely on height, however if you're trying to split two similarly-performed bowlers like Garner and Donald, surely minor things like awkwardness derived from height comes in to it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Comparing a Marshall to a Finn obviously has no merits solely on height, however if you're trying to split two similarly-performed bowlers like Garner and Donald, surely minor things like awkwardness derived from height comes in to it.
If you're trying to split two similarly performed bowlers then their height has already been accounted for in making them "similarly performed" in the first place.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of, we need more pix of your bored-looking Persian supermodels. I'm assuming you have many of them.
"We"? :laugh:

Reminds me of when I'm at my cousins house and in order to get his mum to cook something he tries to get me involved into it ("Mum, Kaz and I are hungry") so that she feels guilty about it - being a good host, which is a big Persian thing.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If you're trying to split two similarly performed bowlers then their height has already been accounted for in making them "similarly performed" in the first place.
Although I agree with you it could be argued that the variety his height brings adds into the difficulty batsmen will have facing his other teammates who bowl at different trajectories. That's not necessarily reflected in their own personal stats. FTR, I tend to think the importance of these kinds of things can be overstated.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"We"? :laugh:

Reminds me of when I'm at my cousins house and in order to get his mum to cook something he tries to get me involved into it ("Mum, Kaz and I are hungry") so that she feels guilty about it - being a good host, which is a big Persian thing.
So is making rugs iirc.

Jacknife

International Captain
Donald for me, he's one of my all time favorite fast bowlers, not much between them but if I had to choose one it'd be him.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amazing how things have changed in CW, once upon a time this would be Donald-Donald-Donald.

Both great bowlers obviously The saffie the better strike-bowler, but that wasn't Garners role. He was there to take wickets, but also create pressure for others with a miserly run-rate. He may have not taken that many five-fers, but he created many for others, whilst still knocking wickets over at a ridiculous rate.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Garner is a definate ATG, just prefer in this comparrison the extra pace and aggression of Donald, but really they are just about equal for me. Garner's accuratecy and bounce at times made him almost unplayable and if required he could up his pace to almost express. That added to his unbeliveable average and strike rate and his stellar gully fielding shows how close this comparrison must have been and how highly I rate Donald as well.