Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia's bowling attack-tests

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar

Australia's bowling attack-tests

The next test we play is in November against SA, so you'd assume/hope we'd have most players fit by then. Interested to hear some opinions on who will form our bowling attack for that series, considering we have plenty of pace bowlers to choose from (in contrast to our batting). I think our main stocks include:

Ryan Harris- Fully fit I think he is our most skillful and best quick. Unfortunately his body doesn't hold up for a long time ever. Hopefully he will be available for all this summer. Keep for tests only imo. Pretty handy lower order bat too.

Ben Hilfenhaus- Looked gone a while back, but has reinvented himself. Bowls pretty smart, but can struggle for wickets if conditions don't suit swing. Took 27 wickets at 17 in 4 tests against India in Aus last summer.

James Pattinson- Seems to have a bit of mongrel in him, and looks like a decent prospect in tests. Action reminds me a bit of Craig McDermott. 11 wickets in 2 tests against the Indians last summer, but seems to struggle with injury a bit.

Pat Cummins- Really exciting prospect I reckon. Pace, swing and smart. Has that extra pace like Steyn that makes batsmen hurry their shots. Only one test so far, against SA last year, where he smashed through the middle order, picking up a few big wickets.

Mitchell Starc- Popular with selectors, hasn't shown a heap at international level yet, but quick and left armed means variety. Needs a solid Shield season imo, doesn't need to be 12th man for Australia for the next 12 months.

Mitchell Johnson- The most frustrating cricketer in the world. Can create carnage, but then the gap between his best and worst is massive. I wouldn't be disappointed if he never plays tests again, but seems popular (and marketable). Should have worked a lot harder to develop in to an allrounder, as I think his batting is very decent (made 123 against a strong SA attack). Too enigmatic to be one out of only three quicks though.

In terms of spinners, I assume Nathan Lyon has consolidated his spot for the time being, with other contenders not really obvious.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Too enigmatic to be one out of only three quicks though.
    Interesting word choice - might have gone for inconsistent or hot and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Interesting word choice - might have gone for inconsistent or hot and cold.
    Yeh, similar ideas I guess. There have been occasions when he looks like the most scary prospect to face ever, in terms of wicket taking and danger to the batsman's body, but a lot more of the time he bowls two or more boundary balls per over.

I find it remarkable that players at international level can't bowl a consistent and tight line and length.

No Siddle or am I just out of the loop?

off topic:
    Monk love both your All Time XI's in your sig. Hammond does bring so much more to a team than Sachin with his slipping and ability to be an emergentcy bowling option. Interesting.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

siddle hilf cummo lyon

leaving out rhino. Think age will get him.

starceh & patto to come in as form and horses for courses dictates.

Johnson to never play again.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    No Siddle or am I just out of the loop?

off topic:
    Monk love both your All Time XI's in your sig. Hammond does bring so much more to a team than Sachin with his slipping and ability to be an emergentcy bowling option. Interesting.
    Just forgot Siddle tbo. Obviously he is there.

As much as I admire Tendulkar, I think he's on par with a heap of other cricketers for a middle order spot. I like Hammond's all round game as you mentioned, and from what I've read it seems he was a very attacking batsman, which I like a lot.

Pretty much agree with uvelocity's summation as well. Would play Rhino if he's fit though.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    who cares they'll be injured
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

What's wrong with Mitch?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

I don't think there's any need to play Cummins at full strength really. Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson and Harris should all definitely be ahead of him IMO.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't think there's any need to play Cummins at full strength really. Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson and Harris should all definitely be ahead of him IMO.
    Awta

As for which 3, get back to me when they're all fit.

If I want to be fair I'd suggest the lack of injuries to HH/Siddle gives them the edge... However given some of previous results with HH&Siddle, I'm not happy with the idea.

This is backed up in the number too
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...ults;type=team
    Last edited by Valer; 13-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Harris, Hilfenhaus and Siddle will get the nod I reckon.

Cricket Spectator
    I think it'll probably be Siddle, Hilfenhaus and Pattinson. Harris is a quality bowler but can't watch him bowl without worrying about whether he's even going to be able to complete the over.

Gets in the team ahead of Pattinson if fit. Big if.

I think at least from the start of the season the selectors will go with the first three fit out of (in order):

Harris, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson, Johnson (unfortunately), Cummins, Starc

with younger guys like Cutting, McDermott, Coulter-Nile, Bird and Hazelwood on the next rung if we have a horror injury run.

The Bollingers, Copelands, Butterworths, and McKays won't be considered no matter how many wickets they might take.

Fingers crossed for Johnson to suffer a not too serious injury. Nothing life threatening, but enough to keep him off the field.
    Last edited by adub; 14-08-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Yeah I think atm, the core members of the bowling attack should be Siddle and Hilfenhaus, with Harris and Pattinson rotating for the third spot (assuming only 3 quicks). Harris probably shouldn't be given any more than two consecutive tests at a time, and that's actually pretty convenient I reckon...because I think Pattinson really should be getting regular game time as well. Was really quite impressed with the consistency Cummins showed in the recent ODs, and that bodes really well for him as a test bowler. So hopefully should Hilf or Siddle return to their bad ways of old, he'll be able to come in as the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    with younger guys like Cutting, McDermott, Coulter-Nile, Bird and Hazelwood on the next rung if we have a horror injury run.
    who do we think will be the first of the next lot, or someone not listed?

Haven't seen enough of the u19's but paris looked alright, only saw the 3 balls of conway's hatty, looked decent enough. sandhu looks reasonable too.

Probably out of Bird and McJunior - I'll pick Alister.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information