• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's bowling attack-tests

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The next test we play is in November against SA, so you'd assume/hope we'd have most players fit by then. Interested to hear some opinions on who will form our bowling attack for that series, considering we have plenty of pace bowlers to choose from (in contrast to our batting). I think our main stocks include:

Ryan Harris- Fully fit I think he is our most skillful and best quick. Unfortunately his body doesn't hold up for a long time ever. Hopefully he will be available for all this summer. Keep for tests only imo. Pretty handy lower order bat too.

Ben Hilfenhaus- Looked gone a while back, but has reinvented himself. Bowls pretty smart, but can struggle for wickets if conditions don't suit swing. Took 27 wickets at 17 in 4 tests against India in Aus last summer.

James Pattinson- Seems to have a bit of mongrel in him, and looks like a decent prospect in tests. Action reminds me a bit of Craig McDermott. 11 wickets in 2 tests against the Indians last summer, but seems to struggle with injury a bit.

Pat Cummins- Really exciting prospect I reckon. Pace, swing and smart. Has that extra pace like Steyn that makes batsmen hurry their shots. Only one test so far, against SA last year, where he smashed through the middle order, picking up a few big wickets.

Mitchell Starc- Popular with selectors, hasn't shown a heap at international level yet, but quick and left armed means variety. Needs a solid Shield season imo, doesn't need to be 12th man for Australia for the next 12 months.

Mitchell Johnson- The most frustrating cricketer in the world. Can create carnage, but then the gap between his best and worst is massive. I wouldn't be disappointed if he never plays tests again, but seems popular (and marketable). Should have worked a lot harder to develop in to an allrounder, as I think his batting is very decent (made 123 against a strong SA attack). Too enigmatic to be one out of only three quicks though.

In terms of spinners, I assume Nathan Lyon has consolidated his spot for the time being, with other contenders not really obvious.

Red

Interesting word choice - might have gone for inconsistent or hot and cold.
Yeh, similar ideas I guess. There have been occasions when he looks like the most scary prospect to face ever, in terms of wicket taking and danger to the batsman's body, but a lot more of the time he bowls two or more boundary balls per over.

I find it remarkable that players at international level can't bowl a consistent and tight line and length.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No Siddle or am I just out of the loop?

off topic:
Monk love both your All Time XI's in your sig. Hammond does bring so much more to a team than Sachin with his slipping and ability to be an emergentcy bowling option. Interesting.

uvelocity

International Coach
siddle hilf cummo lyon

leaving out rhino. Think age will get him.

starceh & patto to come in as form and horses for courses dictates.

Johnson to never play again.

Red

No Siddle or am I just out of the loop?

off topic:
Monk love both your All Time XI's in your sig. Hammond does bring so much more to a team than Sachin with his slipping and ability to be an emergentcy bowling option. Interesting.
Just forgot Siddle tbo. Obviously he is there.

As much as I admire Tendulkar, I think he's on par with a heap of other cricketers for a middle order spot. I like Hammond's all round game as you mentioned, and from what I've read it seems he was a very attacking batsman, which I like a lot.

Pretty much agree with uvelocity's summation as well. Would play Rhino if he's fit though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think there's any need to play Cummins at full strength really. Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson and Harris should all definitely be ahead of him IMO.

Valer

First Class Debutant
I don't think there's any need to play Cummins at full strength really. Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson and Harris should all definitely be ahead of him IMO.
Awta

As for which 3, get back to me when they're all fit. :laugh:

If I want to be fair I'd suggest the lack of injuries to HH/Siddle gives them the edge... However given some of previous results with HH&Siddle, I'm not happy with the idea.

This is backed up in the number too
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...type=all;team=2;template=results;type=bowling
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...volve=45980;team=2;template=results;type=team

Last edited:

Evilpengwinz

Cricket Spectator
I think it'll probably be Siddle, Hilfenhaus and Pattinson. Harris is a quality bowler but can't watch him bowl without worrying about whether he's even going to be able to complete the over.

Gets in the team ahead of Pattinson if fit. Big if.

adub

International Captain
I think at least from the start of the season the selectors will go with the first three fit out of (in order):

Harris, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson, Johnson (unfortunately), Cummins, Starc

with younger guys like Cutting, McDermott, Coulter-Nile, Bird and Hazelwood on the next rung if we have a horror injury run.

The Bollingers, Copelands, Butterworths, and McKays won't be considered no matter how many wickets they might take.

Fingers crossed for Johnson to suffer a not too serious injury. Nothing life threatening, but enough to keep him off the field.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I think atm, the core members of the bowling attack should be Siddle and Hilfenhaus, with Harris and Pattinson rotating for the third spot (assuming only 3 quicks). Harris probably shouldn't be given any more than two consecutive tests at a time, and that's actually pretty convenient I reckon...because I think Pattinson really should be getting regular game time as well. Was really quite impressed with the consistency Cummins showed in the recent ODs, and that bodes really well for him as a test bowler. So hopefully should Hilf or Siddle return to their bad ways of old, he'll be able to come in as the replacement.

uvelocity

International Coach
with younger guys like Cutting, McDermott, Coulter-Nile, Bird and Hazelwood on the next rung if we have a horror injury run.
who do we think will be the first of the next lot, or someone not listed?

Haven't seen enough of the u19's but paris looked alright, only saw the 3 balls of conway's hatty, looked decent enough. sandhu looks reasonable too.

Probably out of Bird and McJunior - I'll pick Alister.

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm it's hard to guess. Will surely be one of those listed though. If I had to pick one i'd probably say they'll go with McDermott. Wouldn't be surprised if NCN or Cutting got the nod either though, given their bias towards pace.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is McDermott currently injured or has he been overlooked for the current A match because it would mean Bird and Coulter-Nile are ahead of him. I think McDermott probably should get an opportunity in the shorter formats before playing Tests. I'm a big fan of NCN so I would love to see him selected, but he's going to have to outperform Johnson at WA to have any chance of being close to selection should injuries hit.

As for the original question Siddle and Hilfenhaus are definites and First Test at the Gabba I would probably go for Harris to join them.

Ruckus

International Captain
McDermott has only played one of the A games hasn't he? And he did really well (+ Bird hasn't done very well), so surely he hasn't been overlooked. Worth mentioning as well I guess that NCN and McDermott were actually called up after Cummins and Pattinson got injuries (with Bird etc.) already in the squad...so make of that what you will.

Last edited: