• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer's toughest XI

Xuhaib

International Coach
1- Graeme Smith

2- Andrew Strauss

3- Sachin Tendulkar

4- Brian Lara

5- Jacques Kallis

6- Mark Ramprakash

7- Alec Stewart

8- Andrew Flintoff

9- Wasim Akram

10- Courtney Walsh

11- Muttiah Muralitharan

Very Pom heavy with Ramps the surprise entry also short on Saffers usually the 2nd best side during Langer's time and Indian's side that gave Aus the most headache in his era.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ramps's record against Oz is actually pretty decent, tbf. Averages 42-ish versus his career figure of about 15 lower. & runs scored against one's own team count double, obvz.

Lack of Curtly must be the biggest surprise. Not a chap whose toughness I'd questions & he did some of his best work versus the crims too. 7-1 & all that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Is this the opponents Langer found toughest personally?

Flintoff gave all our LHs a few issues in 2005. I'd have thought Curtly over Courtney though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just a quick look to see if Langer was dismissed more times by Walsh (3 times / 13 matches) or Ambrose (3/7) and was surprised to see Ajit Agarkar having dismissed him the most!

Overall I think its a fine side, I'm interested to know for his reasons to bat Tendulkar at 3.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Charl Langeveldt was a prison warden in one of the country's toughest jails, but I doubt he would qualify if it was just Langer's opponents

Spark

Global Moderator
Ramps's record against Oz is actually pretty decent, tbf. Averages 42-ish versus his career figure of about 15 lower. & runs scored against one's own team count double, obvz.

Lack of Curtly must be the biggest surprise. Not a chap whose toughness I'd questions & he did some of his best work versus the crims too. 7-1 & all that.
No way Laxman should have missed if that's the case - though VVS probably should be in there in his own right (though Langer might have missed the matches/tours where Laxman did his best work)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just a quick look to see if Langer was dismissed more times by Walsh (3 times / 13 matches) or Ambrose (3/7) and was surprised to see Ajit Agarkar having dismissed him the most!

Overall I think its a fine side, I'm interested to know for his reasons to bat Tendulkar at 3.
The batting order is by far the most annoying thing about that side.

stumpski

International Captain
No Aussies!

Shrewd bloke Langer, obviously
I think it's an XI of his toughest opponents from his playing career. It's a new regular feature in the recently revamped Cricketer, although I think they're allowed to pick team-mates as well.