• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rankings update

Jayzamann

International Regular
For some reason I checked these earlier today, and audibly lamented Australia's 6th ranking in t20is.

Holy holy heck.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
England ranked #1 in ODIs surprised me. Lost to Australia 5-0 (or was it 7-0) after the ashes, and didn't make it to semi final in world cup. I remember they beat India 3-0 in England, but when they toured India, they lost 5-0. Had some success against Pakistan however. Anything else significant in last couple of years?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think it's something to do with one defeat in home series in 4 years (or something along those lines) - plus dicking the previous number 1 side 4-0 this summer would've helped.

Spark

Global Moderator
For some reason I checked these earlier today, and audibly lamented Australia's 6th ranking in t20is.

Holy holy heck.
Bangladesh was 4th not too long ago. Then dropped to 9th the next match. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over them.

Opportune time for this thread, just before the Test no. 1 spot goes out of the window a week from now :laugh:
:laugh: Harsh but true. England are vocal about ODI's not being important at all. They aren't a good ODI side in any case. Aside from one freak series against Pakistan in UAE, they have done little of note. SA, Ind, Aus, Pak and SL are comfortably better.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
:laugh: Harsh but true. England are vocal about ODI's not being important at all. They aren't a good ODI side in any case. Aside from one freak series against Pakistan in UAE, they have done little of note. SA, Ind, Aus, Pak and SL are comfortably better.
pretty funny comment given south africas recent record against england in odis.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So beating Australia, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan at home as well as beating South Africa away is no longer anything of note?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
India should nail # 1 in ODI's soon enough. And they have the champions trophy as another opportunity of proving it.

And if we can win the T20 WC next month that should hopefully put us at the top of the T20 rankings as well (although probably not enough games for that).

If only we can get our Test team/results in order. I'm not worried much about the other formats.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
T20 rankings are **** at the moment. Bangladesh were ahead of India a couple of weeks ago and then fell to 9th place after losing one game to Ireland.

And Pakistan currently are a **** ODI outfit, so it's pretty laughable that they are better than England.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
England ranked #1 in ODIs surprised me. Lost to Australia 5-0 (or was it 7-0) after the ashes, and didn't make it to semi final in world cup. I remember they beat India 3-0 in England, but when they toured India, they lost 5-0. Had some success against Pakistan however. Anything else significant in last couple of years?
For what its worth, excluding Scotland who have a 75% ratio from 4 ODIs, England have the best win-loss record in ODIs of any nation since the 2011 World Cup. South Africa are tied for the next highest ratio and are ranked second on the ICC table, so I don't think those ODI rankings are that far from the mark.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say England at #1 in the ODI list does seem a wee bit counter-intuitive given the 5-0 shellacking we suffered in India only last autumn, but at home we are an effective, if somewhat uninspiring, looking outfit & no-one else is really grasping the nettle either.

I'm sure we'll still be reassuringly shyte in any tournament that actually matters.

Surprised we aren't still tops in T20Is tho. Have we lost many recently?