• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Furball

Evil Scotsman
KP described him as the obvious replacement for Michael Vaughan, so you would assume so - although like I said, KP was the only player assured of his place in all 3 formats whereas Collingwood's Test place was by no means assured.

You'd also have had the funny scenario of announcing Collingwood as captain across all 3 formats then immediately sitting out 3 ODIs due to a ban :D

In hindsight it should have gone to Strauss although by the sounds of it whoever was given the gig would've been in for a difficult time as Peter Moores was apparently difficult to work with. Pietersen getting the captaincy and getting rid of Moores may have been a necessary evil to pave the way for what we saw under Strauss and Flower.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Edgbaston was where Vaughan and Collingwood played for their careers. Vaughan failed, Collingwood didn't. You couldn't realistically give Colly the captaincy on the back of a career saving knock. Both he and Strauss had good tours to India though. Perhaps they thought the baton had passed with him after he gave up the ODI captaincy, as you say.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Well, it was predominantly the performances of a few star players, mainly Cook. But the point is that it turned from just Cook and Prior performing in the first test to everyone having great games in Kolkata and Nagpur. Blokes like Anderson, Trott, Compton and Root who'd either been performing terribly or not playing were suddenly doing great. Whether they were just leaching onto the success of others, or whether there was something more to it behind the scenes I don't know but it was remarkable and was so out of character withe everything that happened since the start of 2012.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah team effort obviously, but KP's knock turned the series and got the momentum going. Sure Cook first test was good and he played well in Mumbai too, but KP shocked India. No one had played like that on a turner in India since Hayden probably.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah in terms of sheer destructiveness and downing the spinners' confidence, India hadn't seen anything like it since Hayden in 2001...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I always felt Colly was pushed from the ODI captaincy so they could give KP the job across the board

Also, pretty sure he'd already sat out his ban

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Well, it was predominantly the performances of a few star players, mainly Cook. But the point is that it turned from just Cook and Prior performing in the first test to everyone having great games in Kolkata and Nagpur. Blokes like Anderson, Trott, Compton and Root who'd either been performing terribly or not playing were suddenly doing great. Whether they were just leaching onto the success of others, or whether there was something more to it behind the scenes I don't know but it was remarkable and was so out of character withe everything that happened since the start of 2012.
Swann's effort on the first day of the first test is one of the best I've ever seen by an English bowler. Getting 5-144 on a pitch offering nothing, with all the other bowlers serving up other dross and Sehwag and Pujara running rampant. He was absolutely immense.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I always felt Colly was pushed from the ODI captaincy so they could give KP the job across the board

Also, pretty sure he'd already sat out his ban
Yeah pushing Colly is quite possible. The ECB wanted one man for all 3 formats, which at the time meant KP was the only option.

On the second point, quite possibly as I'm just going by KP's recollection, and KP incorrectly recalls Collingwood making himself unavailable for the 4th Test.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo said:
"All the muppets who are on £18 grand, £15 grand, either you become better or you go and do something else"

Kevin Pietersen has a suggestion for improving quality in English domestic cricket, the day before failing to take Melbourne Stars into final of BBL
Relatable, down-to-earth guy, this KP fellow.

But seriously, anyone got anymore context to this?

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Talking about turning T20 in England into franchises, and worries about guys not getting games who are contracted professional cricketers.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You know what would improve English domestic cricket? If a bloke like KP actually bothered to give something back to the game that made him.