• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think England's PR has been appalling.

Mind you I'm contrary to what most people think about the management teams, considering his ****ing galaxy sized ego, and especially how fractious everything has become since he's left, divisions split down the middle, press, players coaches. I think it's amazing we got a good 9 years out of him which led to many great moments. BTW a lot of those moments were under Flower/Strauss.
In hindsight it's clear that for whatever reason, Flower most certainly didn't get the best out of Kevin Pietersen.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok KP did have a few summers like Root and Ballance have just had but he was still a feast or famine player more often than not. Just looked and he only got 8 test tons in his last 59 tests which is an amazing stat really when you consider in the same timeframe from the beginning of 2009 that Bell has 13 in 60 tests and Cook has 18 in 69 tests yet they get far more abuse as players than KP got.

All those laughing saying only England could treat their best player like this, he wasn't our best player for a long time judging from those stats from the start of 2009. Can't say it is a cherrypicked year or so it is over half his career. His average in the timeframe is 44 and from the beginning of 2012 it was 38. A player who was in decline. A great player but a player who wasn't the force he once was.
Obviously the bolded part is absolutely correct but I don't think any test bowler with a pulse (e.g, not an Indian in England) would prefer to bowl to KP rather than Root or Balance

The Oz attack must be counting the days until the next Ashes as it is shaping up as an average booster of the highest order

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously the bolded part is absolutely correct but I don't think any test bowler with a pulse (e.g, not an Indian in England) would prefer to bowl to KP rather than Root or Balance

The Oz attack must be counting the days until the next Ashes as it is shaping up as an average booster of the highest order
Yeah but 18 months after the last ashes and with his constant knee problems he could have been like Ricky Ponting in 10/11. Obviously we will never know now but I can't see how he would suddenly have become great again given the trajectory of his career and I loved him as a player.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
My general rule when playing is always apologise for poor fielding but never go off at someone when they do it themselves.

It's not that hard to not be a ****. Though evidently for some it was.
I tend more to be visibly angry at singles being taken when there shouldn't be, rather than dropped catches.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It seems the only ones who knew how to handle him were Vaughan and Fletcher. Though that may have been down to him being a young player and not rocking the boat but once they had gone he was a senior man and thought he could do what he wanted. What is funny is seeing Carberry and Tremlett come out supporting KP, wonder if there will be any more in the coming days?
They also only had him for two years.

Managing the early KP would have been very different to the KP of post-captaincy.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I tend more to be visibly angry at singles being taken when there shouldn't be, rather than dropped catches.
It is the single to the fat guy about 10 yards from the bat that is the worst. You know there is nothing you can do as the fat guy is the captain so he fields where he wants.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In hindsight it's clear that for whatever reason, Flower most certainly didn't get the best out of Kevin Pietersen.
Maybe he got the best out of him that an increasingly narcissistic individual allowed. Hard to say for certain.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but 18 months after the last ashes and with his constant knee problems he could have been like Ricky Ponting in 10/11. Obviously we will never know now but I can't see how he would suddenly have become great again given the trajectory of his career and I loved him as a player.
Quite so. To read some people's comments you'd think he averaged 50 in Aus last winter. Being highest average when no-one's hit the 30 mark really isn't all that much of an achievement. Then you look back to 2103, when he managed one (admittedly brilliant) innings whilst the series was still alive, and I don't think the Aus boys would have been too worried about facing him next summer. They should win easily whoever we pick; something that they know full well.

And quite why Ponting and Smith have seen fit to wade into this particular mess can only be put down to mischief making from a couple of chips-on-both shoulders where the old country is concerned southern hemisphere types imo.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Maybe he got the best out of him that an increasingly narcissistic individual allowed. Hard to say for certain.
I think you have the word there.

I'd add 'selfish' before that (think of the number of times he got out when well set, and dominating the bowling, to a self indulgent shot without a thought for the team) and consider the joy in the Nottinghamshire changing room when he left. He didn't play enough for his other Counties to p**s them off, luckily for them.

I saw him interviewed on TV yesterday morning and thought it embarrassing. He sounded like a whining teenager (in fact, that's hard on whining teenagers), everything was everyone else's fault and nobody understood him. I'd suggest they understood him only too well and actually put up with him, and indulged him, rather more than they might have done.

He appears to have a desperate need to remain in the public eye. With the loathsome Piers Moron as an expert in peddling over sensationalised sh!t by his side that might happen (expect to see him on one of the rubbish zelebrity prgrammes before long). I certainly won't be reading this book.

He puts me very much of an American Football player named Terrell Owens. TO will likely end up in the Hall of Fame purely on stats but everywhere he went there was a pattern. He'd start off superbly, and likely have a pretty good second season but then he'd become more and more of a poison so that by the time he left that team he wasn't mourned, to say the least. The narcissism level was high in him as well.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Quite so. To read some people's comments you'd think he averaged 50 in Aus last winter. Being highest average when no-one's hit the 30 mark really isn't all that much of an achievement. Then you look back to 2103, when he managed one (admittedly brilliant) innings whilst the series was still alive, and I don't think the Aus boys would have been too worried about facing him next summer. They should win easily whoever we pick; something that they know full well.

And quite why Ponting and Smith have seen fit to wade into this particular mess can only be put down to mischief making from a couple of chips-on-both shoulders where the old country is concerned southern hemisphere types imo.
Ponting is not a person with chips on his shoulder.

akilana

International 12th Man

but if you read some other comments, one would assume KP was the only one to fail in the Ashes. He still outperformed all thos batsmen that are still in the team.