• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
as others have said, this issue imo seems to be down to the fact that the England management team have no man management skills and couldn't manage KP properly. I am sure many of us here have had to manage people who we didnt gel with but you just do it dont you as you're meant to working for whats in the best interest of the collective. For me, the ECB have shown their inabilities and childish behaviour with all these leaks and its just pathetic..I dont particularly like the swagger shown by KP BUT you cant deny he was a superb player who would have been an automatic pick in ANY national team..
It seems the only ones who knew how to handle him were Vaughan and Fletcher. Though that may have been down to him being a young player and not rocking the boat but once they had gone he was a senior man and thought he could do what he wanted. What is funny is seeing Carberry and Tremlett come out supporting KP, wonder if there will be any more in the coming days?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think, where KP is concerned, there's a big difference between just doing your own thing but producing the results anyway and just actually be a huge **** to deal with in general. I tend to side with Halsey in the idea that not everyone is the same and different processes work for different people, so if a player can get on the piss and still perform, for example, then so be it. If it works for him and he's not hurting anyone else then it shouldn't affect morale or the functionality of the team.

The dossier suggests Pietersen went well beyond that into essentially trying to undermine everyone above him, put down everyone below him and feud with those on equal standing, and obviously that sort of thing can really dent team morale to the point of players having a much shorter leash on their performances before they become a liability. I think sacking him was the right call.

I don't think treating one guy as a 'special case' is really how things should be done, but rather treating everyone as 'special cases' and realising individuals will get different benefits out of different modes of preparation. I think that's where England's man management has been pretty awful here in general -- too many general standards and not enough discretion. Perhaps by recognising that better in the first place Pietersen might've been less of a ****, but who really knows?
Sorry PEWS but the "dossier" suggests nothing of the sort

The whole thing is ridiculous

To present this petty-minded crap as "evidence" of why he needed to be punted just goes to show how incompetent and biased the factions within the ECB truly were

It's embarrassing that such a divisive guy has slaughtered the PR team of a national body so comprehensively

DriveClub

International Regular
Do you think you have ever been guilty of bullying another player?

No. Never. But I know what you're getting at. You're talking about James Taylor. Because there's this lie out there that I rubbished him in front of the team. It's not true. I spoke to Andy Flower about him. It was a private conversation. It was a senior player talking to the coach in private. I expressed my views when asked. To have private conversations turned into a media story on Monday morning that I was ridiculing James Taylor in the dressing room is ridiculous. Has anyone bothered to ask him if it's true?

I have, yes.

And?

He said that he didn't hear you say anything. He was told second-hand that you might have done, but he wasn't aware of it at the time.

Well, there you are then. He's clearly an honest lad. Look, I had some pretty good ideas. I was a senior player. I had captained various teams. I had played right around the world. And I wanted the best for England cricket. So the coach might have asked my opinion. So I expressed my views - and sometimes he hated them. But I was isolated and private conversations became newspaper stories.
KP denies bullying Taylor

DriveClub

International Regular
Aggers has quit twiiter after getting in a row with KP's wife Jessica. Apparently it was something about KPGenius account where he said even if Swann, Broad and Bresnan had the password to the parody account it didn't mean they were using it or tweeting from it. Didn't go down well with Jessica it seems and got a lot of hate from all quarters and that was it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not sure what's worse, having your wife defend you or Piers Morgan

KP can just get ****ed. Arsehole of the highest order.

flibbertyjibber

KP has single handedly dismantled ECB's PR beyond repair lol
No he hasn't. They are both in the wrong, you can't believe that KP is totally innocent of everything and has never done a thing wrong in his life. He was always going to try and pointscore with a book and he is doing it, the thing is the main people he is gunning for have either left their jobs are retired or are injured so the ECB will just have a reshuffle and move on. KP will probably never play another game of cricket in England and the ECB will be happy with that.

Don't forget that this is a man who had a strop and left SA, Notts and Hampshire before this and he had incidents with England too. Not saying he is totally to blame as clearly he isn't as both parties are/have acted like kids in the playground but to say he has dismantled the ECB's PR beyond repair is way OTT as more people hate/are fed up of KP than love him.

harsh.ag

I'm not sure what's worse, having your wife defend you or Piers Morgan

KP can just get ****ed. Arsehole of the highest order.
He may be (I don't think so, but he may be), but the ECB thoroughly deserves all the flak they are receiving. It's been long overdue, and that's why this episode is important imo. Everyone is doing their bit to make ECB 'grovel' :)

harsh.ag

No he hasn't. They are both in the wrong, you can't believe that KP is totally innocent of everything and has never done a thing wrong in his life. He was always going to try and pointscore with a book and he is doing it, the thing is the main people he is gunning for have either left their jobs are retired or are injured so the ECB will just have a reshuffle and move on. KP will probably never play another game of cricket in England and the ECB will be happy with that.

Don't forget that this is a man who had a strop and left SA, Notts and Hampshire before this and he had incidents with England too. Not saying he is totally to blame as clearly he isn't as both parties are/have acted like kids in the playground but to say he has dismantled the ECB's PR beyond repair is way OTT as more people hate/are fed up of KP than love him.
ALthough I think this is a good post, the part in bold is definitely not true world-wide. Indian fans, for instance, are overwhelmingly with Pietersen on this one (So you know that automatically makes him the worldwide majority winner :p). Can't speak for English fans.

DriveClub

International Regular

Im not talking about whos right or wrong, everyone's in the wrong here but the majority of the reprisal in this episode has been against ECB and they have lost the PR battle which shouldn't have happened considering its one man(someone who no one likes) against an entire cricket board. And I'm just enjoying all this, this is just too much fun :laugh:

grecian

I think England's PR has been appalling.

Mind you I'm contrary to what most people think about the management teams, considering his ****ing galaxy sized ego, and especially how fractious everything has become since he's left, divisions split down the middle, press, players coaches. I think it's amazing we got a good 9 years out of him which led to many great moments. BTW a lot of those moments were under Flower/Strauss.

flibbertyjibber

ALthough I think this is a good post, the part in bold is definitely not true world-wide. Indian fans, for instance, are overwhelmingly with Pietersen on this one (So you know that automatically makes him the worldwide majority winner :p). Can't speak for English fans.
You will still see him in IPL/hit and giggle stuff that means nothing anyway. As far as playing any meaningful cricket in England again that isn't going to happen. He is the player who has divided opinion more than anyone I can remember in this country during his time as an international and I am pleased in a way that we have moved on successfully this summer with a couple of young guys in the middle order proving there is life after KP and both had summers that KP even at his best didn't produce.

harsh.ag

You will still see him in IPL/hit and giggle stuff that means nothing anyway. As far as playing any meaningful cricket in England again that isn't going to happen. He is the player who has divided opinion more than anyone I can remember in this country during his time as an international and I am pleased in a way that we have moved on successfully this summer with a couple of young guys in the middle order proving there is life after KP and both had summers that KP even at his best didn't produce.
You are ****ting yourself.

But yeah, the England team has definitely moved on, and have very good players now. Wish them the best.

As an aside, Flower being a "mood hoover" something I can understand :laugh:

OverratedSanity

Some of you are really going overboard here because he's a ****.

Most of the Indian bowlers probably still have bruises from what KP did to them in the 4-0

flibbertyjibber

You are ****ting yourself.

But yeah, the England team has definitely moved on, and have very good players now. Wish them the best.

As an aside, Flower being a "mood hoover" something I can understand :laugh:
Ok KP did have a few summers like Root and Ballance have just had but he was still a feast or famine player more often than not. Just looked and he only got 8 test tons in his last 59 tests which is an amazing stat really when you consider in the same timeframe from the beginning of 2009 that Bell has 13 in 60 tests and Cook has 18 in 69 tests yet they get far more abuse as players than KP got.

All those laughing saying only England could treat their best player like this, he wasn't our best player for a long time judging from those stats from the start of 2009. Can't say it is a cherrypicked year or so it is over half his career. His average in the timeframe is 44 and from the beginning of 2012 it was 38. A player who was in decline. A great player but a player who wasn't the force he once was.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
The recriminations are continuing, the latest from former England captain Alec Stewart who confirmed claims by Pietersen that the owner of the "KPgenius" Twitter account, Richard Bailey, had told him at The Oval in 2012 that three players had access to the account mocking the star batsman. Stewart said the players were Broad, Swann and Tim Bresnan.

More info on KPGenius account, the evidence is damning, makes you wonder how either of those three got away with it without even a slap on the wrist.

flibbertyjibber

The recriminations are continuing, the latest from former England captain Alec Stewart who confirmed claims by Pietersen that the owner of the "KPgenius" Twitter account, Richard Bailey, had told him at The Oval in 2012 that three players had access to the account mocking the star batsman. Stewart said the players were Broad, Swann and Tim Bresnan.

More info on KPGenius account, the evidence is damning, makes you wonder how either of those three got away with it without even a slap on the wrist.
That is old news, was out yesterday. Do keep up.

Latest is Bresnan has denied it.