Page 67 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1568
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Quote Originally Posted by YorksLanka View Post
    i can see your point, but wouldnt you agree those individual performances were to save the team and get the victory for the team ?
    Funnily enough, I think most people believe that making runs is often in the interest of the team.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Nothing like a few bits of individual brilliance to underline how much of a team man someone is.
    Isn't every good innings a feat of individual brilliance though?

I think it's just really hard for us to say either way from the outside.

It's entirely possible that Pietersen, while a better batsman than whoever will replace him, really does make the team less likely to win with him in than out of it due to how he acts. I personally think it's probably unlikely, but you do have to do what's best for the team and we don't really know what goes on in that dressing room. If England are more likely to win series without him than with him then he shouldn't be playing. I think it was a case of him being deemed worth it when he was making a lot of runs, and now not so worth it when the team is struggling a bit and he's not making many.

Of course it's also possible that the hierarchy have just used the poor performances of the team as a perfect opportunity to get rid of him because they dislike him.

It's hard to say either way IMO. Fair enough to have an opinion, but the strong stances people seem to have on it confuse me. It's something we don't really know much about either way.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 27-02-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    YorksLanka likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Don't compare Kohli to KP when it comes to attitude ffs. When Kohli texts his opponents bagging his captain than you can compare their attitudes.

Kohli also has shown no evidence of not being seen as a team player.

Kp was not sacked because he was cocky.
    OverratedSanity and Adders like this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

First Class Debutant YorksLanka's Avatar
    no your right but my point was, that when someone is that talented, that should come first..for example, i personally dont like the attitude shown by Kohli HOWEVER i still think he is a fantaastic cricketer and plays some wonderful innings irrrespective of what my personal thoughts on him are...
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

It's entirely possible that Pietersen, while a better batsman than whoever will replace him, really does make the team less likely to win with him in than out of it due to how he acts. I personally think it's probably unlikely, but you do have to do what's best for the team and we don't really know what goes on in that dressing room. If England are more likely to win series without him than with him then he shouldn't be playing. I think it was a case of him being deemed worth it when he was making a lot of runs, and now not so worth it when the team is struggling a bit and he's not making many.

Of course it's also possible that the hierarchy have just used the poor performances of the team as a perfect opportunity to get rid of him because they dislike him.

It's hard to say either way IMO. Fair enough to have an opinion, but the strong stances people seem to have on it confuse me. It's something we don't really know much about either way.
    Something has to have happened in Australia that made Pietersen's position within the team untenable.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Nah I doubt it. Reckon they just decided now is the best time to get rid of him and thought they could use him as something of an #Escapegoat after such a horrible Ashes series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Nah I doubt it. Reckon they just decided now is the best time to get rid of him and thought they could use him as something of an #Escapegoat after such a horrible Ashes series.
    I don't want to believe that because that's pathetic.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    We are pathetic.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I really just think it became Flower Vs KP at the end.. And with it being obvious that Flower was making playing cricket less enjoyable than it should be, he decided to leave and also ensure KP was out as his final vengeance. I guess that story about the meeting and about KP misjudging what his team mates thought of Flower is not completely true. It just smacks of what happens at a work place when all your colleagues criticize your boss over the coolers and over lunch but in an important official meeting, stop just short of calling them bad, and then the one outspoken guy just states what everyone has been talking about, he gets the rap. I would assume for those in the English side who did not quite enjoy KP and his antics as well as Flower's school master regimen, this was the perfect outcome from a perfect set up.

PS: I Understand this is complete speculation but what fun are forums if you cant even speculate..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    If it was just Flower who had the problem with KP they'd have done nothing. Flower quit and the decision was made after that. Atherton's assertion that Pietersen was left with no friends willing to stand up for him sounds about right. Cook and Prior brought KP back into the fold when it would have been easier to permanently dump him after the SA home series. And yet 18 months later Cook was more than willing to dump KP. Cook may be many things ( a poor captain) but he doesn't look to me power mad or calculating. I can't see Cook as jealous of KP and getting rid of him for that reason. Whether it was the players, the captain, the coach, the execs no-one seemingly was prepared to standup for KP.

And fwiw Flower has got a lot of criticism by English fans and others as if he has done nothing but cause disaster for English cricket when in reality he's been England's most succesful coach. Yes it ended badly but rarely can you finish like Sir Alex Ferguson. Doesn't make him a bad coach with bad methods.

Can't really complain about his batting, but to try to undermine captains and coaches betrays a terrible attitude. Its not like its a one off aberration- Gallian, Moores, Strauss, Cook, and Flower. The texting affair was totally unforgivable. Tough being me? He wants to walk a mile in other peoples shoes and count himself lucky that he does a job he loves, gets well paid for, and gets to travel the world on someone else's buck. A couple of years ago he was complaining about the workload he "endures", but was quick enough to sign up to the IPL. The words "cake" and "eating it " spring to mind.
    Adders and Wright like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

Well put Pews.

KP confuses me.......honestly find it hard now to have an objective opinion on him and the situation because I've been on and off his bandwagon so many times now I'm just dizzy with it and don't know what to think any more.

I understand why they are not doing it but I just wish we had some statement from the ECB as to what went on in Australia and what was the straw that broke the camels back.........cos somethings happened. These are professionals and more importantly adults, they haven't sacked him because Cook or Flower or anyone else doesn't like him...........they have sacked him because what he brings to the team does not outway what he detracts from it.

Time will tell if we are better off for it or not.
    YorksLanka likes this.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    And the latest person to send Piers Morgan into a tantrum...

Dressing room a better place without Kevin Pietersen: Matt Prior - The Times of India
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    And the latest person to send Piers Morgan into a tantrum...

Dressing room a better place without Kevin Pietersen: Matt Prior - The Times of India
    I like Gideon Haigh's respose to this:

This will make sense when they start playing Test matches inside dressing rooms.
    Last edited by Spark; 27-02-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    L Trumper likes this.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Page 67 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread Information