• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just most people aren't stupid to text the other side slagging of his own teammates to some guys that probably don't like him and still think he deserted South African cricket.

Steyn was probably pissed that KP was making him look like a net bowler in the last test and by 'mistake' disclosed these personal texts.
Indeed. He must have a chemical imbalance in the brain or something, as surely someone with a modicum of intelligence would see the potential dangers in doing something so obviously stupid.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Highly unlikely that 99% of the time that it happens the sender would actually get caught though. Doesn't make it any better but it goes on everywhere.
Needs to chose who he whinges to more carefully in future. We've all complained about work/colleagues/management but it's normally to one's mates over a pint, not to one's direct competitors via traceable electronic media.

He's a fantastic player, let's not deny that, but there comes a time when the management must draw a line; cliche as it is, no individual is bigger than the team. Clearly as far as Team England are concerned KP reached and then breached the line at some point during or after the second test.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
and as I keep on saying, and it seems to be washed up with the rest, it contravenes ICC rules, which is enough reason to drop him in itself, and the Saffie players may have reported it for that reason. With their history they probably don't want to be in breach.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Its just a continuation in the history of KP's battle with modern technology. He was undone by the complexities of twitter just last year, and now it seems the slightly older more experienced foe, text messaging, has got one over him as well. These fancy gizmos are tough to tame.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
and as I keep on saying, and it seems to be washed up with the rest, it contravenes ICC rules, which is enough reason to drop him in itself, and the Saffie players may have reported it for that reason. With their history they probably don't want to be in breach.
Indeed, what I was getting at was that I could understand why this sort of thing would be prohibited irrespective of the anti-corruption rules etc...

Though one does wonder how it was that this info became public knowledge. Presumably someone will have reported it.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I probably missed this but why is this against ICC rules. I assumed he was texted at night or after the game rather than during the hours of play. Is it illegal for him to text the opposition during the game?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sending a text message to a dude at 9pm does not break ICC rules.

I assume. I mean, it'd be totally insane to ban players from using all electronic media during a test match. I'm totally with KP ****ing off to the IPL if that's actually the case, but i'm 99% sure isn't.

akilana

International 12th Man
Indeed. He must have a chemical imbalance in the brain or something, as surely someone with a modicum of intelligence would see the potential dangers in doing something so obviously stupid.
hey it's KP's fault that he sent texts. If he had any that you said above, he wouldn't have:D

grecian

I probably missed this but why is this against ICC rules. I assumed he was texted at night or after the game rather than during the hours of play. Is it illegal for him to text the opposition during the game?
I'm reasonably sure that covert communication between teams during matches was illegal. Mind you I read it somewhere, so I could be wrong, don't mind being proven so, if anyone could clarify I'd be happy:)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm reasonably sure that covert communication between teams during matches was illegal. Mind you I read it somewhere, so I could be wrong, don't mind being proven so, if anyone could clarify I'd be happy:)
That's just stupid, if so. KP's fault seems to be that he left an electronic trail instead of merely slagging his team mates off to the opposition over a cold one at the end of day's play.

grecian

That's just stupid, if so. KP's fault seems to be that he left an electronic trail instead of merely slagging his team mates off to the opposition over a cold one at the end of day's play.
Look the point is he could be sending code messages, in the end it's just sensible to wait until after the match. Anywat Escape to Victory has reacged it's climax, so stop being a buzzkill.

kevin O'calloghan ffs.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Look the point is he could be sending code messages, in the end it's just sensible to wait until after the match. Anywat Escape to Victory has reacged it's climax, so stop being a buzzkill.

kevin O'calloghan ffs.
He could send out code messages in person too. Unless the ECB have a blanket ban on fraternising with the enemy in any form and manner, it doesn't make sense to single out a medium.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't care about the texts. I don't care about what he has to say and I don't care who he said it to. I care not a jot about Andrew Strauss' hurt feelings and I don't especially don't give a flying **** about why KP did any of it.

I'm a selfish **** and I care about the actual cricket. I want to see KP play and I want to punch a wall.

fredfertang

I don't care about the texts. I don't care about what he has to say and I don't care who he said it to. I care not a jot about Andrew Strauss' hurt feelings and I don't especially don't give a flying **** about why KP did any of it.

I'm a selfish **** and I care about the actual cricket. I want to see KP play and I want to punch a wall.
Quite

It's an International side and a few fragile/easily bruised egos is inevitable

They're not the Upper Whiteacre Vets 2nd XI ffs

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I care about the actual cricket too, and it's precisely for that reason I'm in favour of him being left out. Hurt feelings have nothing to do with it.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I agree with sledger's views and respect the ECB for doing what they did.

It does not really matter if a player has a massive ego and is a bit of a **** but no player who tries to play around with his board and try to push it to it's limits and then try to take advantage of a good game should be picked to play in a team game such as test cricket. We don't need that sort of **** here.

grecian

He could send out code messages in person too. Unless the ECB have a blanket ban on fraternising with the enemy in any form and manner, it doesn't make sense to single out a medium.
I thought they had, during test matches anyway.

Woodster

International Captain
Didn't see his exclusion from the final Test coming. Clearly with the squad announcement being delayed this was always a possibility but after the video thought that was under the ECB's request in order to retain his Test place. Little did I know at the time this was supposedly released without any ECB approval.

This undermines our chances of drawing the series and remaining at number one, with KP in such scintillating form at Headingley, so I'm certain this wasn't a decision taken lightly. Unfortunately KP has to understand there are consequences to his actions, he admits on the video that he makes mistakes, so does everyone, just because he admits that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any repercussions. He shouldn't be texting the opposition about his management and team-mates, he shouldn't be giving demands over his IPL career, he shouldn't be able to pick and choose what games he plays when he's contracted to the ECB. I'm sure there is scope for negotiation in these aspects, he's just been ill-adivsed and gone about it all in the wrong way.

Andy Flower has to show everyone the team comes first, and while weakening the team looks like a funny way of doing that, he cannot, and will not, allow players to think they can dictate how certain things should pan out.

After Headingley all we should have been discussing is where in the list of great Test innings does his 149 fit in, as it turned out, that appeared to be the last on KP's mind and subsequently the last thing people want to talk about when he gives the media such headline provoking interviews/press conferences.

After I saw that innings I instantly began writing an article containing many superlatives and how he has surely won over his harshest critics, then before I'd finished it it quickly became clear this was not the KP issue people wanted to read about.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Just seems like something that could have been dealt with after the series with a fine or something. This just seems to have come down to a battle of egos and it is unfortunate that we will not get to see KP in such a critical test.
K.P does need to take some blame in all of this though, if for nothing else than know who your true friends are. That was borderline assanine.