Cricket Player Manager
Page 55 of 105 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Yeah they both played massive roles in England winning 5 out of 7 tests against Oz and NZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Yeah they both played massive roles in England winning 5 out of 7 tests against Oz and NZ.
    You mean when we didn't get 400 once? Just because our oppo had a few collapses doesn't mean our batting hasn't been average the last few years, aside from KP and Cook at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Interesting that you mention Ferguson actually. It occurs to me that one person probably above all others who was definitely not afraid to make decisions like this was Ferguson. Jettisoned countless star players for non-footballing reasons in his time, decisions that were almost all heavily criticised at the time on grounds similar to the reasons this decision is getting criticised. Yet those decisions basically all turned out to be correct and he was by far the most successful manager of his time. Shows the value of a settled/happy dressing room.

I don't understand how anyone can have a strong view on this either way at the moment, without some pretty reliable inside info. In reality probably none of us know what has gone on, and thus whether the decision was justified. It's not like the ECB didn't understand that in purely cricketing terms dropping him was absurd, and yet they dropped him anyway. Not to say that's necessarily the correct decision, but to me it's not obvious at all that it's the wrong one either.
    Such a bull**** myth. Realistically only star player Fergie get rid of in his prime was Jaap Stam and Utd's defence was jack **** for the next 2-3 years. Idea that Fergie got rid of star players, lol. He got rid of Becks, RVN when they are clearly surplus to requirements in Man U side, besides he is managing a club side which means even if he get rid of star players he can buy new players. Comparing it to international sport is nonsensical.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    Such a bull**** myth. Realistically only star player Fergie get rid of in his prime was Jaap Stam and Utd's defence was jack **** for the next 2-3 years. Idea that Fergie got rid of star players, lol. He got rid of Becks, RVN when they are clearly surplus to requirements in Man U side, besides he is managing a club side which means even if he get rid of star players he can buy new players. Comparing it to international sport is nonsensical.
    I wasn't comparing it with international sport, I was using it to show the value of a cohesive dressing room. Whether he would have done the same as an international manager is anyone's guess, though his omission of Hansen in 1986 suggests it's not out of the question.

This is a cricket thread and I didn't intend to derail it but can't help pointing out that suggesting Beckham and RVN were surplus to requirements in 2002/3 and 2006 respectively is pretty laughable. Both were younger than 30 when sold, both were still key players prior to the fall-outs. RVN's record at Real Madrid after being sold indicates he was hardly finished, and Beckham had just come out of his best ever season in goal-scoring terms when they fell out. He had only been England captain for 18 months when he was sold. You've forgotten others as well such as Ince and McGrath but the key point is that someone being a key player in footballing or in this case cricketing terms does not mean it's necessarily a bad decision to get rid.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Such a sad way to end the career of one of the best English batsman ever. IIRC Swann recently mentioned that KP was much better in the dressing room after his "reintegration". How inept must the English management be to screw this so bad?

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Might end up playing for South Africa. There is a recent opening.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Graeme Smith?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

State Vice-Captain
    Laughable that some reports cite his age as a reason. Ffs, he's not even close to anywhere near 40.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Graeme Smith?
    Haters gonna hate.
    Hooksey likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Ah, this is horrible, horrible news.
    I can't believe the decision honestly, but even though KP is no doubt a massive ****, it just looks to me as though he's been made a scapegoat here. Maybe in the coming weeks, we'll get some info on how KP completely destroyed morale in the dressing room during the Ashes, but right now, it just looks as though the ECB have thought to themselves after they've just suffered arguably the worst ashes defeat in history, and need to show the world that they're making changes. And the change is to drop the one word class batsman who barely months ago played the three greatest innings of the year? How does that make sense? Rebuilding is a fine and dandy word to use, but as it is, the side is filled with incompetent and/or extremely young batsmen as it is. The only reason England have been doing well over the last few years is because of Cook's consistency, and KP producing those miracle knocks out of nowhere. If it wasn't for him, England would have lost in SL, lost in India, and whitewashed by SA at home. The England team is already in the rebuilding phase... That doesn't mean they need to drop experienced players, far less their best one. I refuse to believe his influence on the team is bad enough to negate his brilliant batting. No way.

And is there a tribute thread somewhere? Can't see it. I'll just say this here then:

Pietersen is one of my favourite batsmen of the last 20 years. While growing up, I'd always here how Viv Richards would tear apart the fastest bowlers with utter contempt and dominate them irrespective of the conditions or opposition. As a young, stupid indian fan, I kept waiting for Sachin to do something like that, buying into the "Master blaster" nonsense, before I slowly realised to my disappointment that there's no one who fits that vision of a tall powerful batsman arrogantly swatting fast bowlers around the ground as if he has no care in the world. That was when I saw Pietersen baseball bat a perfectly good ball from Mcgrath straight down the ground in the 2005 Ashes. Love at first sight really. And no, while he was never consistent enough to be really called Viv's successor, at his best, there was no more thrilling sight for me in world cricket. He could look like a numpty at his worst against Ajmal in the UAE but then would utterly manhandle the generation greatest bowler, Steyn, in a way that I haven't seen anyone do. Sehwag has a triple against Steyn, and even he didn't score as many runs off Steyn as KP did at Headingley. And he's completely unique in that it didn't matter to him whether the ball swung, or if it was a complete bunsen of a pitch.. If he was on his game, the conditions became totally irrelevant. Very very few batsmen have ever given me that feeling of fear when he was in the zone that no matter what we do, he's going to smash us into oblivion. Massive loss to cricket and for everyone who isn't a boring bastard and appreciates a bit of showmanship in batting
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 05-02-2014 at 01:19 AM.
    Days of Grace likes this.

State Vice-Captain
    This is his tribute thread.

fantastic player and STILLthe best player England have. this is monumentally stupid decision by the ECB to allow their yes man Giles to get his" job for the boys"and not have to manage /coach KP..the latter is impossible for a purely average player at best. I cant believe that England have sacrificed their team so that they can get their favourite into the head coach job..There is at least two years left for KP and i am sure he will go on to score bucket loads of runs in the numerous T20 competitions around the globe..I really feel for him as he has been made the scapegoat...
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Eugh. We're knackered. How anyone in their right mind could possibly think we'll do better without Kevin Pietersen than with him is beyond me. He's the finest England batsman of his generation, and in 6 months when we're on our arse, and KP is smashing runs for Surrey, they'll soon change their minds, and we'll have to go through another period of 're-integration'. It's so frustrating, they're undoing all the good work done by Flower in the last few years because of one bad series. Gonna be a long way back for England now, I'm expecting a miserable series in Sri Lanka.

Flower gone, Cook's captaincy under-fire, Trott out, Pietersen out, Prior out, Swann out, no third seamer. Who's guaranteed a place in the side? Cook, Bell, Stokes, Anderson and Broad, anyone else? Root will probably play, but he looks completely out of form. So that makes for at least 5 potential places for new players to come in. That's a pretty major transitional period. Look at the effect it had on Australia. This is going to be a slow couple of years for England.
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 05-02-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Just very sad that I won't get to watch him in tests. I will miss his imperiousness.

As a Sri Lankan, i should be really happy that we wont have to face him in a few months here in England but I cant,- as a fan i want to see the best players playing in the circuit and as i said before i feel that this is a huge mistakeby England and hopefully this decision will be reversed...

Page 55 of 105 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread Information