• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is too public. If information about the texts do come out and they're damning against Strauss and Flower then Pietersen's position is almost untenable. He wouldn't be the first person who doesn't like their coach or captain (thinking of another arrogant egotistical **** in the form of Shane Warne) but at least others keep it private until their careers are done.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is too public. If information about the texts do come out and they're damning against Strauss and Flower then Pietersen's position is almost untenable. He wouldn't be the first person who doesn't like their coach or captain (thinking of another arrogant egotistical **** in the form of Shane Warne) but at least others keep it private until their careers are done.
Did Warne really keep it that private? Don't recall.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah he did. It wasn't a secret that he didn't agree with some of the **** (and he's not alone in that, MacGill hated the boot camp also), but he didn't publicly slag him off when still in the national set up.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
warne didn't really keep quiet about his dislike of the coach iirc
Neither has Pietersen, tbf. Wanted Flower (then batting coach) gone at the same time as Moores when he had that other, what shall we call it? Artistic episode in 2008.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Jonathan Agnew on the beeb says "The subsequent video on YouTube, which was in violation of his contract, was a last-ditch attempt to salvage his place. He was asked not to do it and yet he still did."

If that's true -- he was asked not to do it but went ahead anyway -- he wholeheartedly deserves to be dropped.

Also, I've seen several comments about this saga pointing blame at KP's "advisors" -- does anyone know who that refers to?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You reap what you sow. KP's behaved like a tool, and now he'll suffer the consequences. It's struck me that he's tried to get the ECB over a barrel and pander to his wishes - for example, I find it hard to believe it's a coincidence that after having played his best test match in recent memory, he then releases a statement which implies he might be jacking it in. It's too for him that by dropping him they've basically called his bluff and told him to get ****ed.

It's a shame, because I honestly believe that he does want to play for England, and has a passion for doing so. Unfortunately, his other goals have come in the way of doing this, and by attempting to be clever and manipulate the situation into him getting what he wants he's actually shot himself in the foot. As has been suggested, his position has near enough become untenable, and you can't have individual players attempting to run the show - and act as a divisive presence on the team as a result - so sadly, I'm not sure what else the ECB could have done.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Also, I've seen several comments about this saga pointing blame at KP's "advisors" -- does anyone know who that refers to?
I presume it's his 10% people, Mission Sport Management, mainly owned by Adam Wheatly.

A quick Google reveals he also "handles" Botham & Bell. Interesting ménage à trois there, eh?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The days of having a beer with the other team after the game is gone.

Now so are the days of messages the other team.

Next thing you want be able to even have some banter on the field.

Getting dropped for sending a text message is pretty sad.
It's a match-fixing thing, it's against the rules, the ICC may wish to get involved. Let's yearn back to the days when we could all have banter and exchange chat during matches and have a bet, what could go wrong?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sending text messages which say how crap you think your management/colleagues are to a competing individual/firm/team/whatever would be considered a serious breach of conduct in nearly any profession. There's nothing sad at all about it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Highly unlikely that 99% of the time that it happens the sender would actually get caught though. Doesn't make it any better but it goes on everywhere.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Highly unlikely that 99% of the time that it happens the sender would actually get caught though. Doesn't make it any better but it goes on everywhere.
Just most people aren't stupid enough to text the other side slagging of his own teammates to some guys that probably don't like him and still think he deserted South African cricket.

Steyn was probably pissed that KP was making him look like a net bowler in the last test and by 'mistake' disclosed these personal texts.

Last edited: