• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I am sure the ECB are hoping that KP just plays twenty20 around the world from now on, him making county runs would certainly put them in an awkward position. Hard to see him turning out for 4 day games though.
Yeah, I really hope KP plays the Championship just to prove that on cricketing terms the decision was a disaster. Gotta feel sorry for the division two bowlers though, could be bowling to a few high class batsman with a point to prove.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
What has KP been averaging over the past year? Or two? Or three? Or four? Reading some of the posts on this thread, e.g. "England go and drop their one world class player" (ha ha, good one!), one might imagine certain contributors were confusing Pietersen with Amla or Clarke or de Villiers. If only. He's been averaging in the thirties for as far back as I can remember, folks! As someone pointed out in a good post a while back, whatever "performance authority" he once had has long since evaporated. If this weren't England, where top order bats can average in the low forties or even high thirties for years and years and be considered stalwarts, his place would automatically be under review....because he simply hasn't been performing at a high level for ages.

Now he seems to be stuck in a Groundhog Day of getting out playing stupid shot after stupid shot, thus setting a bad example for less experienced players, one could argue that he's not only not getting the required runs himself, but he's also become the moving spirit behind England's scandalously low aggregate scores over the past few series. The obnoxious self-absorbed me-first attitude just sealed his fate, I'm afraid. I predicted this outcome straight after the disgraceful slog to get out when Broad joined him in the fourth Test, putting delivering a public 'snub' to one of his dressing room 'enemies' - which backfired spectacularly when Broad top scored in the very next Test while Pietersen flopped - ahead of helping the team achieve a respectable total. Good riddance.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I really hope KP plays the Championship just to prove that on cricketing terms the decision was a disaster. Gotta feel sorry for the division two bowlers though, could be bowling to a few high class batsman with a point to prove.
What else is he meant to do during the summer? He's still a professional cricketer.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What has KP been averaging over the past year? Or two? Or three? Or four? Reading some of the posts on this thread, e.g. "England go and drop their one world class player" (ha ha, good one!), one might imagine certain contributors were confusing Pietersen with Amla or Clarke or de Villiers. If only. He's been averaging in the thirties for as far back as I can remember, folks!
2013 was the only year in his entire career that he averaged below 40. So, no

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
What else is he meant to do during the summer? He's still a professional cricketer.
Well he'll play the ipl for a start which will take up the first two months of the english season. Then he'll have a holiday. Then he might play a few games. Probably followed by the Carribean T20.

I can't see him playing much tbh for Surrey.

NasserFan207

What has KP been averaging over the past year? Or two? Or three? Or four? Reading some of the posts on this thread, e.g. "England go and drop their one world class player" (ha ha, good one!), one might imagine certain contributors were confusing Pietersen with Amla or Clarke or de Villiers. If only. He's been averaging in the thirties for as far back as I can remember, folks! As someone pointed out in a good post a while back, whatever "performance authority" he once had has long since evaporated. If this weren't England, where top order bats can average in the low forties or even high thirties for years and years and be considered stalwarts, his place would automatically be under review....because he simply hasn't been performing at a high level for ages.

Now he seems to be stuck in a Groundhog Day of getting out playing stupid shot after stupid shot, thus setting a bad example for less experienced players, one could argue that he's not only not getting the required runs himself, but he's also become the moving spirit behind England's scandalously low aggregate scores over the past few series. The obnoxious self-absorbed me-first attitude just sealed his fate, I'm afraid. I predicted this outcome straight after the disgraceful slog to get out when Broad joined him in the fourth Test, putting delivering a public 'snub' to one of his dressing room 'enemies' - which backfired spectacularly when Broad top scored in the very next Test while Pietersen flopped - ahead of helping the team achieve a respectable total. Good riddance.
He has declined yes, but Englands batting bar Cook in the last two years has been quite poor, which is why so many people are angry about this.

KP may not be what he was but he's a damn sight better than Root, Compton, or whoever.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really see the evidence of Pietersen's terminal decline. He had one bad series, that's all. Can't see how you can say he is in an irreversible decline when he smashed the three best hundreds of the year months before the Ashes in England. No one in his team could buy a run. Is Cook, who has actually had a worse run than Pietersen, also done for? Of course not. Considering how poor England's batting is already, it's a dumb, dumb decision

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Last year, the IPL finished in late May and the CPL started in mid July. There are a vast array of T20 competitions over the English winter to keep him busy so the June period could well end up being his self-designated period for rest, meaning he wouldn't play any cricket in England at all.

Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
This is such a stupid decision. Whoever is responsible for this, didn't want to give him 7 home tests against SL and India's bowling.
No way you could have dropped him after he would have piled on about 4 hundreds this summer. Won't get a better time than now to use the "cancer in the dressing room" argument.

As a Sri Lankan, i should be really happy that we wont have to face him in a few months here in England but I cant,- as a fan i want to see the best players playing in the circuit and as i said before i feel that this is a huge mistakeby England and hopefully this decision will be reversed...
Anyway SL has a chance to pants England in a couple of months.

SeamUp

International Coach
His wife is now claiming lies are been put out as truth and singled out Dominic Cork now. Must have been on Sky Sports News ?

To be honest, surely Team England with Cook, Giles and Downton would want anything for England to be the best they can be. There must be good reasoning for the decision to be made and those asking for the reason, they won't get it because it would be poor for the ECB to air their dirty laundry or KP's for that matter in public.

Looking back, some of those aimless swipes by KP when he could have batted with the tail a bit more responsibly to me showed their were problems in the camp between him and others (players and staff).

Last edited:

NasserFan207

This is such a stupid decision. Whoever is responsible for this, didn't want to give him 7 home tests against SL and India's bowling.
No way you could have dropped him after he would have piled on about 4 hundreds this summer. Won't get a better time than now to use the "cancer in the dressing room" argument.

Anyway SL has a chance to pants England in a couple of months.
Lol, this is actually probably true.

Sad to think.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah whether the decision itself is right or not, I think this is almost certainly true as to the timing of it.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be interested to know why they didn't want to let Flower's replacement have a say in this, unless of course they already have - 'twould have been easy enough to rest him for the WI

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Matt Prior has responded to him and rubbished his claims (which is to be expected).
I'm no fan of Morgan. But he wouldn't have put this out in the public domain if he wasn't definitely told this by someone he trusted (and not just his mate KP). I also noticed Prior didn't deny he said it, just that it was taken out of context. Not sure how what he said can be taken out of context mind :)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm no fan of Morgan. But he wouldn't have put this out in the public domain if he wasn't definitely told this by someone he trusted (and not just his mate KP). I also noticed Prior didn't deny he said it, just that it was taken out of context. Not sure how what he said can be taken out of context mind :)
Well, who else would tell him, who else is he friends with?

Prior and Cook helped KP get back in the team last time, this stuff just shows the decision is right. A decisive and mealy-mouthed character who won't even say these things himself, get's his mate one of the biggest ****s in the World to do it for him.

Good riddance.

edit: oh and I only knew about Priors tweet because Marcus Trescothick RTed them, presumably someone who doesn't have much time for Morgan after his disgraceful stuff about depression.

Last edited: