• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

stumpski

International Captain
Presumably he'll slot back into the side in place of Bairstow, who made 95 and 54 in his last Test - doesn't seem right somehow.

At least he wasn't added to an existing squad of 16, that would have been (even more) farcical.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Presumably he'll slot back into the side in place of Bairstow, who made 95 and 54 in his last Test - doesn't seem right somehow.
Not convinced, myself. Still think we're more likely to see Bell or Trott opening than Root & obviously Taylor isn't touring, so there's potentially two free slots between 3-6.

Cook*
Trott
Bell
Pietersen
Morgan (?)
Bairstow

is my guess.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely he'll just replace Taylor, who isn't touring at all. Even if Root plays and Bell/Trott stay put, I don't think Morgan will suddenly come in to replace Bairstow for no apparent reason.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I believe Morgan has been released from the squad. I'd open with Tortt and slot Compton in at 3. KP and Bell at 4 and 5, then I'd go with Patel or Bairstow, depending on whether they play Panesar or not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Taylor was never originally included, Morgan was. I assume they just took Morgan out when KP came in.
Well they've said the same squad already selected were all going so that suggests that Cricinfo have got it wrong accidentally. Can tell it's an accident because if they deliberately made that omission they'd have stuck Ravi in the touring party.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. looks like Giles Clarke and Hugh Morris have bigger egos than KP.. Which is funny coz at least KP is a great cricketer.. :p

Howe_zat

Audio File
He's definitely got a Saul Goodman vibe going on.

~

Re: the XI, it seems pretty clear to me that Root is the opener they're going for so that's what'll happen, at least at first. I don't think it's a great idea but there really aren't "obvious" choices, and going on about Compton opening the batting like any fule can see it is a pretty big oversimplification. It's a huge jump from batting the middle order in the CC to being asked to open in a Test in Mumbai and the selectors have got to use every shred of evidence they've got that someone can handle that. One thing they have is Root's success on the Lions tour to Sri Lanka, and if they can see something there that's made them plump for him - and I daresay they have given the squad - then I'll hold onto that.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Compton has as much chance of forging a good Test career opening as opposed to anywhere else. He is a top order batsman who has been coming in at 3 recently. I don't think the Test being in India should mean much, if he comes in at 6 he's much more likely to be facing twin spin first up, which he's hardly used to. At least he'll (probably) get a look at the quicks with a harder ball if he comes in first up, although I agree that the selectors seem to have pinpointed Root.

FBU

International Debutant
The Telegraph

Indeed Compton has already received a phone call from team director Andy Flower suggesting he will be a front-runner to take that opening place. When the national selector Geoff Miller had telephoned on Sept 17 it had been just to give congratulatory advice of selection.

Flower phoned eight days ago with more specific news. “He said to me, ‘I just want to give you heads up on the way things are going forward’,” says Compton, “He mentioned that the middle order is looking a little congested and that there’s obviously a gap as opener and that’s an area he sees me filling, and, of course, Joe (Root) is there as well.”

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That doesn't read to me that he's being considered front-runner, more that if he's going to get a chance it's not going to be in the middle order (which on the face of it seems the right thing when you consider the incumbents)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It always looked a straight fight between Root and Compton for the opening slot, down to the individuals now to score enough runs before the series starts to get the nod over the other. Not too fussed who we go with as we are going to lose anyway.