• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
No, it's not. There's a lot of evidence for it. I mean, there's the stuff KP says. And a load of crap that other people have imagined (sorry, inferred). And um...I think Warren Hegg may have said he didn't like someone in the ECB hierarchy once too. Pretty conclusive.
I infer that you're talking rubbish now. :p

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, KP, that most trustworthy of sources.

Edit: And no there isn't. It's specious to claim otherwise.
Flower admitted that he did nothing and should've done but doesnt know why he should be held responsible for stuff that goes on in the dressing room

Might be a nice guy, excellent cricketer, etc but if sorting out the dressing room isnt one of his responsibilities then what the **** does he do?

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Hypothetical question for English fans:

Would you be happy to leave KP out to assert the importance of the team over any individual even at the cost of losing matches that could have been won?
Frankly I'd much rather prefer team morale as a catalyst to win series than depending on a single and thoroughly mercurial batsman to deliver.

Long-term thinking and all that. Bairstow a more than reasonable substitute IMO.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Frankly I'd much rather prefer team morale as a catalyst to win series than depending on a single and thoroughly mercurial batsman to deliver.
Thats right, but in the real world that might not be the case. If KP's presence in the team causes the team to win more matches but the team morale goes down due to his shenanigans, would it be an acceptable end result?

What I am interested to know is if the English (or any other country's) fans would prefer a congenial dressing room with high team morale but not so impressive results, or a fractious dressing room with ego clashes and mercurial but talented individuals that perform great on the field, ala Pakistan of the 90s?

Not implying that England would not win matches without KP, but rather that he still makes a positive difference to the team's chances of winning

MrPrez

International Debutant
Thats right, but in the real world that might not be the case. If KP's presence in the team causes the team to win more matches but the team morale goes down due to his shenanigans, would it be an acceptable end result?

What I am interested to know is if the English (or any other country's) fans would prefer a congenial dressing room with high team morale but not so impressive results, or a fractious dressing room with ego clashes and mercurial but talented individuals that perform great on the field, ala Pakistan of the 90s?

Not implying that England would not win matches without KP, but rather that he still makes a positive difference to the team's chances of winning
You can't quantify the impact he has had on the teams performance, though. Maybe the other guys would have played better because they had more confidence if he had been absent all these years? Maybe they would have actually done worse because they had less to prove?

Again, we can't quantify the effect that his removal is having on the team. Would the team have put up a bigger fight in the Tests had he played in the ones he missed? Would their morale have crumbled even lower?

If you look to make selection decisions by trying to measure the unmeasurable you're going to fail. It has to be a gut thing - does he deserve to go or not?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The Australian team had ego clashes as a matter of routine.

It wasn't really a secret that Warne and Gilchrist detested each other because Warne basically texted away the vice-captaincy to the latter in 2001. Slater was often prone to violent outbursts (he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder after his retirement) and almost attacked Tugga in a nightclub according to Waugh in his autobiography. As the press began to break Ponting's balls after losing the Ashes he began to take the constant tabloid kvetching out on his team and routinely backed underperforming players he liked to the hilt (Johnson and Martyn for two examples) and dumped players like Hauritz without a second thought. Enough has already been said about Katich and Clarke. More than enough has been said on Warne and John Buchanan.

The difference is that they never failed to close ranks in anything related to cricket. They recognised the non-negotiables in representing their country. Prima donnas in cricket are nothing new; Benedict Arnolds are fairly novel by comparison. Pietersen is fairly used to being despised by teammates, but being actively distrusted? Suspicion is much more damaging to any team than simple animosity. England is better without him.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Everyone knows about Wasim and Waqar's history but that did not affect their on-field performance but rather caused them to play some of their best cricket due to the rivalry. I also admire Miandad swallowing his ego in order to play under Imran. But I guess this sort of stuff has never been much of an issue for Pakistan since it's considered normal and happens all the time.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
These men are professional athletes. If they can't put aside their differences and play well, then it's truly pathetic. Seems like gang mentality here, really poor from the English dressing room and from KP for being a tosspot in general (I still love him though).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've no doubt the players could sort out their differences were that the only issue - the trouble with this current KP problem is that he has an alternative way of earning a living that is easier and more lucrative - I really can't see him going any further in public to ingratiate himself with the ECB, and I can't really blame him for that so I'm confident, sadly, that we won't see him sporting the three lions again

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
These men are professional athletes. If they can't put aside their differences and play well, then it's truly pathetic. Seems like gang mentality here, really poor from the English dressing room and from KP for being a tosspot in general (I still love him though).
I've no doubt the players could sort out their differences were that the only issue - the trouble with this current KP problem is that he has an alternative way of earning a living that is easier and more lucrative - I really can't see him going any further in public to ingratiate himself with the ECB, and I can't really blame him for that so I'm confident, sadly, that we won't see him sporting the three lions again

Pretty much what I Have been saying but hey, what's the point if you don't post a reply with quips and zero attempt to understand the post you are quoting.. :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pretty much what I Have been saying but hey, what's the point if you don't post a reply with quips and zero attempt to understand the post you are quoting.. :)
They made up their mind on the balance of probabilities.

You extrapolated far more than anyone else did out of a situation and used what were basically your own hypotheticals as fact, and not for the first time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They made up their mind on the balance of probabilities.

You extrapolated far more than anyone else did out of a situation and used what were basically your own hypotheticals as fact, and not for the first time.
I never passed anything off as fact. EVery single post of mine made it clear I was just voicing my opinion based on various things you read and hear... I am the first to admit I have no idea of the real story but unfortunately, looks like I am the only one in this thread to admit to that..

intcricket

U19 12th Man
I never passed anything off as fact. EVery single post of mine made it clear I was just voicing my opinion based on various things you read and hear... I am the first to admit I have no idea of the real story but unfortunately, looks like I am the only one in this thread to admit to that..
Leave it dude. The ones who don't aren't worth the time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well.. if he does not have evidence, then it is silly of him but if he really feels a couple of private conversations have reached this dude who was running the fake account, then I think he has every reason to push ECB this way because the reason ECB have him out of the side is the same damn thing..