Cricket Player Manager
Page 27 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 1570
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

  1. #391
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,586
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    How long can you unsuccessfully manage an ego of that size before you need to focus your energies elsewhere?
    The short term is different to the long term. There's clearly a push within parts of the ECB and the media to make sure he never plays an international match again, which is fairly pathetic IMO.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    forever 63*

  2. #392
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    12,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    The short term is different to the long term. There's clearly a push within parts of the ECB and the media to make sure he never plays an international match again, which is fairly pathetic IMO.
    I think at present feelings are running high, obviously the one day series v SA and the T20 WC are too soon to bring him back. Be interesting to see the India squads though, if he isn't back for that I doubt he will return.

  3. #393
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    If you make your bed...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  4. #394
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,586
    Surely that, assuming (and I know this is a heavy assumption) that KP does actually get his head down and starts scoring runs in county cricket and makes a serious effort to mediate his problems with Flower and Strauss, it's incumbent on the ECB (who, I'll remind anyone, have not been paragons of virtue in this saga either) to select the best XI, not the best XI amongst players they happen to like?


  5. #395
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Surely that, assuming (and I know this is a heavy assumption) that KP does actually get his head down and starts scoring runs in county cricket and makes a serious effort to mediate his problems with Flower and Strauss, it's incumbent on the ECB (who, I'll remind anyone, have not been paragons of virtue in this saga either) to select the best XI, not the best XI amongst players they happen to like?
    Undoubtedly, if KP proves he can contribute to the team environment and bring the best out of himself and his team mates then great, but if someone comes in and performs (like Bairstow) then they become the incumbent and they're in the drivers seat and they will remain in the team until they stop holding up their end of the bargain. It's no longer a case of KP just ticking the boxes and he's back in, he's lost that right. It's a case of the people in front of him having to lose their form for a sustained period of time.

    The ECB and all English fans should be hoping that they don't need to pick Pietersen again, because the people who have replaced him have done their job, and judging by the last test, it's started off well.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 21-08-2012 at 07:24 AM.

  6. #396
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,312
    It's up to them to select the best team, not the best XI, if you catch my drift. It's conceivable that KP may never fit into an English team again. For that reason, think nothing short of a change of management of the English team in addition to the above will see him play Tests again. Which, by the way, ****ing sucks because I love the guy. But, ****, I can't think of any leader in any situation who will take being undermined like KP did lying down and I'd hazard it would mostly have been Strauss's call.

    Christ, even Warnie had the smarts to wait until he was safely retired (for, what, a week?) before bagging Flanders and he had support within the team. KP seems right out in the cold cradling his wedding tackle on this one.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 21-08-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  7. #397
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,586
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Undoubtedly, if KP proves he can contribute to the team environment and bring the best out of himself and his team mates then great, but if someone comes in and performs (like Bairstow) then they become the incumbent and they're in the drivers seat and they will remain in the team until they stop holding up their end of the bargain. It's no longer a case of KP just ticking the boxes and he's back in, he's lost that right. It's a case of the people in front of him having to lose their form for a sustained period of time.

    The ECB and all English fans should be hoping that they don't need to pick Pietersen again, because the people who have replaced him have done their job, and judging by the last test, it's started off well.
    I get your point, but I don't rate his replacements highly enough for me to see him having no way back at all. In the end the deciding factor will probably be what Top_Cat is hinting - whether the England management are willing to even contemplate picking him at all.

  8. #398
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Trapped
    Posts
    12,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I get your point, but I don't rate his replacements highly enough for me to see him having no way back at all. In the end the deciding factor will probably be what Top_Cat is hinting - whether the England management are willing to even contemplate picking him at all.
    They will be willing to have him back, but not I suspect at a price KP is prepared to pay

  9. #399
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,586
    Play all three forms etc?

  10. #400
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Trapped
    Posts
    12,458
    I was thinking more in terms of the extent of the humiliation in the climbdown they will expect

  11. #401
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,312
    Yeah and humiliation from inferior players in KP's eyes which, if Brearley is correct, he won't take to. All adds up to KP never fitting into an English dressing room he isn't The Man in.

    Again, let's not forget the freedom a captain tends to get in terms of team balance and selection. Under Mark Taylor, guys he didn't much like (Hayden, Martyn, Kasprowicz, Bichel, Langer) were dead but resurrected under Waugh. Guys he didn't like (Slater, Love, Symonds, Hussey, Warne) were steadfastly ignored or turfed quickly. Can go the other way with certain types; strongly believe without the fanboyism of Taylor and his brother, Mark Waugh wouldn't have played 100 Tests and Ponting has stuck with Symonds and Johnson through thick and (very) thin. The moral; if you're going to be a ****, go to the captain's BBQ's. KP has slit his own throat by dissing Strauss unless, maybe, he thinks Strauss is on the way out.

    The whole thing, of course, falls over when it comes to MacGill. Snagged a decent number of Tests but no-one likes that ****.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 21-08-2012 at 05:27 PM.

  12. #402
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Nah **** suck a fat one.

  13. #403
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,976
    do you think the rabid racism of taylor and waugh is why chee quee never played for australia
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  14. #404
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Cheeqs was stubborn and refused to send them muffin baskets iirc.

  15. #405
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,976
    he sent some but they were made by his mother so taylor threw them down and burned them

Page 27 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW Short Story Competition
    By Hurricane in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM
  2. PIETERSEN loses flood auction winner
    By sehwag fan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-01-2011, 11:00 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
  4. Pietersen may miss Ashes
    By Jakester1288 in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 22-07-2009, 10:53 AM
  5. Mahmood and Panesar power England to series glory
    By symonds_94 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •