• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

L Trumper

State Regular
I disagree with you but most of what you say is not unreasonable and its fair enough to have that view.

But to say that England cost themselves #1 because of how they handled KP is just a completely false statement with no basis at all. They lost the first test with him before any of the locker room scandal stuff really blew up, and importantly, they lost a bucket load of tests in Asia and the Middle East before this **** too.
It is not just about costing themselves #1. English cricket in general has this systematic urge to remove any player who doesn't follow some kind of team code even though it is pretty clear that it is stupid to drop one of the best players in sake of team harmony. They are doing it for 100+ years. It never worked for the team or the player. You can list from Barnes till KP every generation has couple of players like this and it keeps on happening forever.

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
It is not just about costing themselves #1. English cricket in general has this systematic urge to remove any player who doesn't follow some kind of team code even though it is pretty clear that it is stupid to drop one of the best players in sake of team harmony. They are doing it for 100+ years. It never worked for the team or the player. You can list from Barnes till KP every generation has couple of players like this and it keeps on happening forever.
Hmmm, what's that saying about pride coming before?

Faizal Khan

Banned
If KP is not selected for India series, will he commentate for ESPNStar during the series (ESPNStar handles the home series for India on Indian TV)?

He will already handle WorldT20 duties.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Which of Swann's comments should have got him fined? Genuine question, as I haven't read the book.

Agreed that KP shouldn't have been fined for his comments about Knight, unless there's some contractual; angle that I've forgotten.

None of which is terribly relevant to KP being dropped anyway.
I believe they have something in their contract forbidding them from publicallt criticising team mates, opposition players, officials and ECB sponsors and stuff, which you'd group sky into.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If KP is not selected for India series, will he commentate for ESPNStar during the series (ESPNStar handles the home series for India on Indian TV)?

He will already handle WorldT20 duties.
If he doesn't have domestic duties he might.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have long felt that England Team Management and ECB have been a bit too happy to bend over backwards over the way other players have treated KP but have been very quick to jump up and down about anything KP has done.

Not for a moment am I suggesting KP was the easiest team mate to have, but some of the comments by Anderson and Swann esp. seem to show their jealousy in them not getting any bidders in the IPL while he did.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have long felt that England Team Management and ECB have been a bit too happy to bend over backwards over the way other players have treated KP but have been very quick to jump up and down about anything KP has done.

Not for a moment am I suggesting KP was the easiest team mate to have, but some of the comments by Anderson and Swann esp. seem to show their jealousy in them not getting any bidders in the IPL while he did.
What comments?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Come on HB, calling jealousy? Come off it.
indeed, as I've said before it's an argument of a twelve-year-old fan girl of Bieber.

Would say Swann was critical of KP in his auto-biography, but god how that's being blown up now. That book was written before the IPL rejection too. I really don't understand the Swann hate in this regard, he wasn't even at Headingly, and him and Jimmeh weren't friends/followers of the bloke who set up the spoof account. His big personality and poor form seems to have made him a lightning rod in this farce, IMHO.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Don't buy the jealousy angle myself either, not that I've heard too many people bring it up tbh, although a bit of jealousy over money in team sports isn't unheard of.

The only times they've said anything about KP publically is, has already been mentioned to do with the Captaincy thing, I remember the issue being brought up in this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/8846569/England-spinner-Graeme-Swanns-autobiography-runs-the-risk-of-driving-Kevin-Pietersen-nuts.html

Swann wasn't picked up in both the 2011 and 2012 IPL auctions, same as Jimmy.

Swann's always been disliked by certain people, mainly due to his funny man, **** sure attitude and he can rub people up the wrong way, it's the same things that pissed other players off when he first came into the England side, personally I've never minded him and found him refreshing in interviews, enjoyed the Ashes tour diaries he did as well.

Last edited:

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Swann writes crap about KP... Gets away with it.
Broad writes crap on twitter... Gets away with it.
Bresnan fights people on twitter... Gets away with it.

English players write "tell-all" tales about KP and the English dressing room... They get away with it.

English players create a fake twitter id of KP... They get away with it.

KP simply sends some texts and you ban him? Really?

I'm not English but I'm glad I'm not downright biased and stupid like some Englishmen in here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't buy the jealousy angle myself either, not that I've heard too many people bring it up tbh, although a bit of jealousy over money in team sports isn't unheard of.

The only times they've said anything about KP publically is, has already been mentioned to do with the Captaincy thing, I remember the issue being brought up in this article.

England spinner Graeme Swann's autobiography runs the risk of driving Kevin Pietersen nuts - Telegraph

Swann wasn't picked up in both the 2011 and 2012 IPL auctions, same as Jimmy.

Swann's always been disliked by certain people, mainly due to his funny man, **** sure attitude and he can rub people up the wrong way, it's the same things that pissed other players off when he first came into the England side, personally I've never minded him and found him refreshing in interviews, enjoyed the Ashes tour diaries he did as well.
Must admit I find Swann mildly irritating. Obviously I don't know the chap personally, but his public personna comes across like one of those irritating, try-hard work-mates of mates who tag along on big nights out and piss off all and sundry by talking incessant shyte and feel the need to top everyone else's anecdotes with their own unlikely sounding tall-tales.

Apparently he and Sammy Patel don't get on either and the latter seems one of the most inoffensive blokes to wear the three lions of late.