• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

BoyBrumby

Englishman
andrew strauss is a box?

:laugh:

I love The Fail's implied criticism in Pietersen not just insulting his captain but also using an Afrikaans-derived insult to do it.

Meanwhile Strauss's rude hand gestures are reassuringly English. Here's what Repton & Durham does for a chap; no extended middle digit for him:

FYI "box" is certainly used as an occasional synonym for ladies bits round here. The late 80s/early 90s dance act Black Box who featured a very ***y black frontwoman (who didn't actually sing the songs, but who looked fit as) was a source of endless amusement and one suspects were named with the double entendre in mind.

howardj

International Coach
KP loves attention, loves the limelight

You can only get that through international cricket

Playing IPL doesn't and never will give you that

Spark

Global Moderator
Apparently - and this is from South Africans - in context, it basically means he's stuck up/boring/old-school.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Good grief.

In other news aforementioned loon managed to get out first ball to a Right arm Fast bowler.

I'm only kidding was a SLA so nothing new there.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think "go around the wicket" counts as helpful advice tbh. It's low, mind, but I don't think anyone can legitimately claim that he was actually trying to help SA with that.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think "go around the wicket" counts as helpful advice tbh. It's low, mind, but I don't think anyone can legitimately claim that he was actually trying to help SA with that.
Not the point though, is it? Why on earth would you be texting that kind of comment about your captain to opposition players? It just seems completely moronic and not at all appropriate.

And I still don't understand why Strauss - I could understand if he was sending snarky messages about Swann for example but Strauss is about the least offensive player going around. The only possibility I can think of is that he thinks Strauss should be dropped/retire because of his poor form.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think it's worse than actually insulting your captain. From what it seems, he found Strauss to be overly officious.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think it's worse than actually insulting your captain. From what it seems, he found Strauss to be overly officious.
By all accounts Strauss is anything but tho. He's famously clumsy and forgetful (one of his early nicknames was "Mareman"), so I struggled to believe he's a martinet.

Everywhere he's been Pietersen has fallen out with those in charge (on Sky's Foreign Legion doco shown yesterday Colville quoted his autobiography where he had a pop at the Maritzburg College coach, so the precedent was set early), so I think it's just a cae of Strauss, as skipper, being the Team England figurehead.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think they needed his help, not exactly a secret is it everyone and his dog knows or is that the banter part.
Can't imagine KP would have found it quite so funny if it was Strauss texting Michael Clarke saying "just bring yourself on as soon as KP is in and you'll have no problems" however true that is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BBC indulging themselves in a spot of schadenfruede at Pietersen's expense. They've out up a link to the BBC London radio commentary of his first baller. :laugh:

Got a good booing for his trouble. Well, two good booings in quick succession, actually.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Closest to doos would be c***. Don't know about the dumb part. Let's say someone cuts you off in traffic, this is what you'd call him under your breath.

Jacknife

International Captain
I know I shouldn't expect anymore from journos in our Country but the media on this has been appalling, there's no arguing he ****ed up but you'd think reading the headlines that the bloke had been knocking his missus around or been found cheating the game. The need by some to see him turned into a hate figure is distasteful imo, obviously those that already hated the guy are lapping it up & loving it.