• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a peculiar piece for Oborne to write. Now I usually lean towards the "only good Tory is a dead Tory" style of old-school unreconstructed leftism, but I have a lot of time for him. He's from the anglican, paternalistic, one-nation wing of conservatism and has campaigned at various times against Apartheid and Israel's occupation of Palestine, so could arguably be said to be somewhat to the left of New Labour on some important issues. He also noteably wrote a wholly excellent (and, if not definitive, then certainly the tome against which future efforts will be judged) biography of Basil D'Oliveira, who represented Blighty with great honour and no little skill, so for him to say:

Peter Oborne said:
is it possible to be born and brought up as a South African and give your full loyalty to England? I believe not.
Seems quite a stunning volte face.

His article ignores SA-born players like Robin Smith, who was one of the bravest and least selfish players to wear the three lions when I was a young shaver, for no other reason than Judgey doesn't seem to fit the ugly Saffer archetype he's constructed.

For my money the thing that unites Greig & Pietersen could just as easily be that they're avaricious arseholes, not that they're South African.

Jacknife

International Captain
I wonder who would emerge as victorious in a fight between all of the English side tbh. None of them particularly strike me as the kind who'd be capable of knocking your block off.
I reckon Swanny would be a nutter. Maybe Prior? Got some rage in him, he does
Funny you should mention Prior, I remember few years ago talking to one of the Yorkshire players and somehow a similar topic got brought up and he said apparently Prior's meant to be a bit of a hard bastard.

Can't imagine too many of the England players or cricketers in general ever having too many fights ever, probably won't know how to.

Jacknife

International Captain
Something I still find a bit strange looking back, is the day KP hit those runs in the second test and he then did the interview afterwards, he had a look of a man who had just got a pair and his team had lost by innings, not one who had just produced one of the great knocks at Headingley. But his team mates have since said that they had no knowledge of any problems until he gave that press conference after the 2nd test had finished. KP was already saying on day 3 of that test that the third test may be his last game. The text message incident didn't seem to come out till after the 2nd test so there must have been things happening before any of the incidents took place.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Something I still find a bit strange looking back, is the day KP hit those runs in the second test and he then did the interview afterwards, he had a look of a man who had just got a pair and his team had lost by innings, not one who had just produced one of the great knocks at Headingley. But his team mates have since said that they had no knowledge of any problems until he gave that press conference after the 2nd test had finished. KP was already saying on day 3 of that test that the third test may be his last game. The text message incident didn't seem to come out till after the 2nd test so there must have been things happening before any of the incidents took place.
Or he's just a paranoid wretch? You see you have to disbelieve many people for one conclusion, only one for the other.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
This is interesting. Do you think Johnny Bairstow making a century will mean the end of KP (at least in the near future)?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This is interesting. Do you think Johnny Bairstow making a century will mean the end of KP (at least in the near future)?
Nah, not while we have several other members of our top order stinking up the joint.

We've accomodated far bigger ****s with far less talent than KP in the test XI over the years; he's too good to be excluded permanently.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, not while we have several other members of our top order stinking up the joint.

We've accomodated far bigger ****s with far less talent than KP in the test XI over the years; he's too good to be excluded permanently.
This.

Trouble is it seems it all depends on whether the team/Strauss can trust him again in the dressing room. If they can't then he won't play again.

Jacknife

International Captain

Yes agree, I think once the dust's settled and all the parties involved speak and sort this out he will hopefully return. Can't see this being career ending or at least it shouldn't be.

I think in the ECB eyes they will have had their pound of flesh & taught him a lesson, before this he'd already un-retired and committed to play all three formats again which was obviously one of the big sticking points for the ECB . I also don't think they'll want KP being a poster boy for franchise twenty cricket around the world because that's what will happen if his England career ends.

Obviously a lot comes down to Flower and Strauss and where they see the team going but I just can't see Strauss being a man to hold grudges even though KP obviously let him down, he won't want this dragging on and on.

The next big thing to do with all this is the next deadline for the Twenty20 World Cup because you get the feeling they want him there and obviously there will be talks held after this series has finished.

KP just wants to keep his head down and scores as many runs as he can for Surrey, keep his eye in and make use of his great form. On that subject I'm really surprised the ECB didn't allow him to play for them in their latest first class game, not sure the reasoning behind that.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
On that subject I'm really surprised the ECB didn't allow him to play for them in their latest first class game, not sure the reasoning behind that.
This was initially reported in the press and on these pages but later on there were a few reports that it was KP/ a mutual decision between KP and the ecb (about the only thing they have agreed upon) that decided it was probably wise not to play this first class game. KP wasn't too worried about playing having been put under stress and wanting to continue talks with the ecb and the ecb were happy to continue those talks - and not have KP in the media spotlight playing a county game.

Jacknife

International Captain
This was initially reported in the press and on these pages but later on there were a few reports that it was KP/ a mutual decision between KP and the ecb (about the only thing they have agreed upon) that decided it was probably wise not to play this first class game. KP wasn't too worried about playing having been put under stress and wanting to continue talks with the ecb and the ecb were happy to continue those talks - and not have KP in the media spotlight playing a county game.
Yes I suppose it would have been a bit of a media circus for Surrey, they probably did the right thing thinking about it for everyone involved, giving it a few days and letting him play in the CB40.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep that's KP done.

Kevin Pietersen text to Andrew Strauss: What it said | Mail Online

Got it via twitter btw, I don't read this filth actively.
Yeah, not that interested in the Fails version of the word, after all "berk" is a rather affectionate insult in this country, but it derives from the rhyming slang "Berkshire Hunt". Any saffies going to tell us how insulting it is?

TBF, I'm more interested that he was found in Brinkleys, one of Frank Lampards favoured haunts.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
LOL it's clear that the Daily fail don't won't him in the England team, nothing new there then.

Always laugh when you read an article about KP, if he's done something good it's England player Kevin Pietersen, if it's bad it South African born Kevin Pietersen.

How dare Kevin put out his Youtube video 'at the time the nation was cheering Mo Farah to 5,000m Olympic Gold', seriously wtf is that about.

Really is the worst **** rag ever known to man.

Last edited: