• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I meant for the rest of the summer.

Worth noting though, if he's playing for Surrey for free, he's under absolutely no obligation to stay if he cbf.
Yeah, that is what I meant. Imagine he will just go to the Caribbean, maybe some Twenty20 for Surrey.

Spark

Global Moderator
There are big themes at play in the Pietersen story – loyalty and betrayal, truth and deception, justice and punishment, money and personal development, with a dramatis personae to match. But on the ECB’s central charge against Pietersen of disconnection and untrustworthiness, there is a compelling case for saying physician, heal thyself. In a sport where management should have a heightened responsibility to engage with its employees and look after their well-being, the ECB has shown itself to be inward looking, self-serving and ridden with sinecure appointments and insincere platitudes. It is more connected to its financial interests than the interests of its players. Over the past four months it has exhibited an arrogant disregard for large swathes of its fan base, dismissing lay supporters as outside cricket. Like Kevin Pietersen and others, we have all been disconnected.
tl;dr the ecb is giles clarke writ large.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Where do you sit on the argument that Warney would have been a better choice as captain than Waugh? Bit off tangent I know but always rated him as the better captain.
Nah, I don't think so.

Better captain of the local club side, maybe. Not of Australia.

Not like Waugh was the most popular bloke in the world either, to be fair. Think most ex-Aussies would much rather catch up with his twin.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That's because they are idiots, would be KP's response. Personally, I can't imagine him not giving it all. Have been told he trains extremely hard. Only thing he could be accused of was trying to be unorthodox for no reason sometimes. But then he is an entertainer. And expecting him to play a KP special more frequently just because he is capable of it makes no sense to me.
Pure assumption.

What's that have to do with anything though? KP's not been sacked for "lack of trying".
Pietersen's basically admitted in an interview with Ponting how he has no interest in fielding. I went along to the Ashes Boxing Day Test with England supporters who said they'd never pick Pietersen again watching him in the field in the Melbourne Test.

You spend more time with a teammate in the field than any other part of the game. What a player does when he's not the centre of attention tells you a lot as a teammate.

Spark

Global Moderator
So, uh, do we believe this apparent report in the Mirror that Cook and ECB administrative staff threatened to quit if KP was picked?

Hooksey

Banned
I wonder how much of this is about being stubborn idiots more than any thing. They had issues with KP few months back. They decided they would not have him again no matter what. It's all way in the past. Yet they do not show any wisdom which you require at such positions as it would mean every thing they believe about him would be wrong, if they selected him.
Leopards don't change their spots. You said it yourself: "They decided they would not have him again no matter what" and they are sticking to their stance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pietersen's basically admitted in an interview with Ponting how he has no interest in fielding. I went along to the Ashes Boxing Day Test with England supporters who said they'd never pick Pietersen again watching him in the field in the Melbourne Test.

You spend more time with a teammate in the field than any other part of the game. What a player does when he's not the centre of attention tells you a lot as a teammate.
He fielded the exact same way in 2006. My friend mentioned similar demeanour to me all the way back then at Boxing Day 06.

They named that same bloke captain 2 years later.

He is the same player. Everyone knew what KP was. Particularly post 2012. There are no surprises here.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It didn't take KP long to turn on them again once he became aware they weren't going to pick him.
To be fair, the ECB's bull**** has cost him a lot of money. If I'd been led to cancel a $430,000 contract under false pretences, I'd be pretty pissed off too.