• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Flem274*

123/5
Flem, I have been part of plenty of teams in my life, and there have been plenty of people I didn't like, and plenty of people who didn't like me. But we always managed to put up a good show regardless, and their presence didn't make my performance suffer (funnily enough). Not to mention, it's clear that this is a tussle of egos, and the egos with power are crushing the one without. Shouldn't be this way. Management is supposed to be better than this.

Could give you countless examples of sporting teammates not being able to stand each other but still playing together well, even in sports which are way, way more of a team sport than is cricket. I won't, though, as you seem to have made up your mind.
I understand your point, and I know of at least one pro dressing room where it's implied often things are far from buddy buddy and there are plenty of "dynamic" personalities but until recently a lid was being kept on things.

The difference is those people respect each others ability and kept out of each others space. KP can hate Strauss or Prior or Cook or whoever as much as he likes, but the minute people start seeing the worst in each other as both players and people and intentionally push the dressing room into a toxic place then the law needs to be laid down from above and if that doesn't work, balls need to be on the chopping block.

When a board is as incompetent as the ECB you're up **** allley, but as useless as they are the Ashes was KPs second chance and it sounds like he blew it. Fair enough to close the door.

This whole saga just now has been ridiculous though. Jesus Christ.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I understand your point, and I know of at least one pro dressing room where it's implied often things are far from buddy buddy and there are plenty of "dynamic" personalities but until recently a lid was being kept on things.

The difference is those people respect each others ability and kept out of each others space. KP can hate Strauss or Prior or Cook or whoever as much as he likes, but the minute people start seeing the worst in each other as both players and people and intentionally push the dressing room into a toxic place then the law needs to be laid down from above and if that doesn't work, balls need to be on the chopping block.

When a board is as incompetent as the ECB you're up **** allley, but as useless as they are the Ashes was KPs second chance and it sounds like he blew it. Fair enough to close the door.

Yeah but after text-gate, do we really know if KP even did anything of this sort, much less intentionally? All sorts of ridiculous stuff has been leaking out barely minutes after it's happened, but KP's antics which created a "toxic atmosphere" in the Ashes is still safely under wraps? Yeah, consider me a sceptic.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL. What KP tweeted was not horrendous or anything, but it's just a trickling of exactly what turned England fans - and his own fans, like myself - against him in the wake of his dropping last time. He quickly erodes sympathy.

It's all well and good saying 'well it's done he'll never play for England again' but things can turn around in a hurry. A summer crisis and KP continuing to score runs, who's to say Strauss might not have done a u-turn? Sure, it's unlikely, but why shut the door they've left ajar for you? Be the bigger man.

Instead, he slowly reminds everyone why Strauss and co don't trust him. He's an idiot.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah but after text-gate, do we really know if KP even did anything of this sort, much less intentionally? All sorts of ridiculous stuff has been leaking out barely minutes after it's happened, but KP's antics which created a "toxic atmosphere" in the Ashes is still safely under wraps? Yeah, consider me a sceptic.
I don't remember. To be honest after the initial fun my eyes glazed over at all the he said she said. KP and his not-friends probably did everything they could to antagonise the other, because that's what a worrying number of people who go straight from school to pro sport and have never been in the real world do.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Get where you're coming from, but

a) The chopping block only included the guy who was disliked by people. Why did the chopping block not include other players? Only one side is right or wrong?

b) Honestly don't understand how he blew it. From all accounts, when the **** hit the fan, he spoke out on what changes he thought should be made. Also, he was England's highest run getter in the series. How did he blow it?

c) The door was closed, fair enough, at tbh, at that point, I didn't give much of a ****. But this recent episode is just rotten. Reopened the door, got him to drop IPL contract and play County with the understanding that he would be back in the running if he scored big, then told he will never play for England as long as Strauss is director of cricket, and publicly touted as an untrustworthy figure.

This is worse than bad management. It borders on the cruel.

social

They have told him to **** off in front of the entire world and cost him a fortune in the process!

Play the bigger man?

Every man and his dog is slaying the ECB for being petty vindictive pricks and more than 80% of on-lne support is behind KP

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
LOL. What KP tweeted was not horrendous or anything, but it's just a trickling of exactly what turned England fans - and his own fans, like myself - against him in the wake of his dropping last time. He quickly erodes sympathy.

It's all well and good saying 'well it's done he'll never play for England again' but things can turn around in a hurry. A summer crisis and KP continuing to score runs, who's to say Strauss might not have done a u-turn? Sure, it's unlikely, but why shut the door they've left ajar for you? Be the bigger man.

Instead, he slowly reminds everyone why Strauss and co don't trust him. He's an idiot.
Yeah, pretty much my thinking. I always supported the ECB's decision to axe him; it was their prerogative to do so, and since they seemingly (for reasons unbeknownst to the rest of us) prudentially decided that this was genuinely the best course of action, then I was happy to defer to their judgment. Good player or no, if he really was a damaging presence on the team and dressing room then I think that's a valid enough justification for kicking him out.

What has followed, however, has been a total fiasco. It is hard to remember anything from a sporting context in which an exercise in PR has been handled so appallingly badly (though the Liverpool FC "We support Suarez" shirts are probably not far off). For comments to have been made which strongly implied that if he scored enough runs he'd have a change to get back in the fold, only for these to later be retracted in the manner in which they were is just dire. It's an absolutely ****ty way to treat anyone, whether you like them or not. One suspects the ECB felt that Pietersen would not call their bluff, and made their original comments as a totally hollow gesture, designed only to save face and make them appear like the "good guys", and then totally **** themselves when he went back to the County Championship and caned it. It's just rubbish. The great joke of course, is that KP was axed on the basis of "team spirit and atmosphere", or whatever. I can't imagine that the shenanigans that have occurred since have done a great deal in the name of team spirit and atmosphere - i.e. what will the existing squad be thinking about the ECB? "Oh ****, I'm under the management of one of the most incompetent organisations in world sport, dire" I imagine.

But yeah, anyway, crap handling or no (and this clearly is a case of crap handling), KP is just so conceited, annoying and dense. It's just impossible to feel too much sympathy for him when he is just such a massive tool.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I went into the meeting expecting Strauss to say that England’s batting order is good at the moment but if I continued to score runs and if an injury occurred then I would be in contention to play. I would naturally have to earn my recall, but at least I would be eligible
This is KP himself in the column he wrote. ffs, for all the times, GIMH has called him an idiot and a buffoon, this is exactly what we were saying the ECB should have done. He makes more sense in this one sentence than ECB have ever done in the last year.

OverratedSanity

But yeah, anyway, crap handling or no (and this clearly is a case of crap handling), KP is just so conceited, annoying and dense. It's just impossible to feel too much sympathy for him when he is just such a massive tool.
That's why it's shocking for me. The ones who are feeling sympathy for him agree that he's a massive dick. That we're feeling sympathy despite that shows how farcical the ECB have been.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That's why it's shocking for me. The ones who are feeling sympathy for him agree that he's a massive dick. That we're feeling sympathy despite that shows how farcical the ECB have been.
Yeah, but the ECB being dire isn't enough to exonerate KP from his own direness. This is the thing, both actors have played their parts extremely poorly. On balance I would say the ECB direness weighs far more heavily than KP's (from what we know anyway), but KP's dickishness balances it out. As far as I'm concerned I'd like to bin both of them off.

harsh.ag

Think the correct analogy is Ibrahimovic and his time at Barcelona (which was obviously handled incredibly well by Barca and Pep). Ibra is not that great a striker as he seems to think, says incredibly dense, conceited things, and has the same revulsion to the "schoolboy" culture of Barca/ECB.

But Barca obviously knew how to handle the situation, and it helps that in club football, you have so many good alternatives to find a place where you can fit.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The media weren't silenced, that is completely unfounded
The one thing is that all the writers based out of England have always been on the pro-KP bandwagon (and many of these coming out of the blogs etc.) whereas the hardened journos who travel with the team have always been on the ECB side.

How much of that is knowledge of what it's like being around that team environment, and how much of that is wanting to stay on the right side of the ECB, is the other question.

social

Off on a slightly different tangent but who would want to coach this shower when selections aren't based on merit?

After all, there is no way that you can even consider picking KP and you will be lumbered with arguably the worst captain in English history

I will be seriously pissed off with Dizzy if he compromises himself

Guy should stick with Yorks for a season and then name his terms as this is a trainwreck

Farbrace for mine as he will put up with ****

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is KP himself in the column he wrote. ffs, for all the times, GIMH has called him an idiot and a buffoon, this is exactly what we were saying the ECB should have done. He makes more sense in this one sentence than ECB have ever done in the last year.
Yeah let me be clear. it is what they should have done. All along they have got this wrong. It's just that that in itself doesn't mean KP has got it right. Because he hasn't.

harsh.ag

Off on a slightly different tangent but who would want to coach this shower when selections aren't based on merit?

After all, there is no way that you can even consider picking KP and you will be lumbered with arguably the worst captain in English history

I will be seriously pissed off with Dizzy if he compromises himself

Guy should stick with Yorks for a season and then name his terms as this is a trainwreck

Farbrace for mine as he will put up with ****
But KP really doesn't have a case as such to be picked in the XI (given you want 5 bowlers, which they do). This is what's so ****ed up about this in the first place, that Strauss didn't have to do this to begin with.

But yeah, if someone gets injured, the new coach can't say, "KP maybe....". So in that sense, spot on. Frabrace will get it I guess. Though I don't think Dizzy will say no.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Nah, can't agree. You say things can turn around but Pietersen's already been told that if he knuckled down, went back to County Cricket and scored runs he'd at least be back in consideration. Now he's basically been told the equivalent of 'lol, only joking, no hard feelings though' The ECB have acted in bad faith and it's beyond ironic that it's apparently the ECB who can't trust Pietersen.

I also find the language Strauss has used during this quite bizarre, Strauss has been speaking as if he's still captain and potentially sharing a dressing room with Pietersen.