Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    not so bad if true. linky?
    daily mail has been the one with the most info on this. otherwise, twitter.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    The one thing I'll say is that none of us have to share a dressing room and go on tour with KP. As cricket fans we enjoy the way he bats and marvel at his skill and exuberance. But we don't have to put up with the day to day being a ****/drama queen that KP obviously is. That wears people down and eventually like all the other places he's played at people eventually can no longer put up with it.

And there are specific issues with the management from the past and present so it's not just other players forcing KP out.

And England have done fine when KP hasn't played during his career.

ps. I wonder if KP turns out for Surrey this week
    Last edited by theegyptian; 13-08-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Can't help but think that England have cut off their nose to spite their face here. Sure, he's done something pretty dumb with the texts - he's not the first bloke (nor champion cricketer, for that matter).

However, it's not unfair for him to have thought they wouldn't find the media as they have - doesn't exactly paint whoever has leaked it in the greatest light either.

Going in to their most important Test for a few years though England have significantly - very significantly - weakened themselved in order for captain/coach to prove a point. I don't think it reflects on either of them all that well that things got to this point to be honest - they've clearly not managed the situation all that well. If they were terrific man managers, this would have been sorted a good few months ago.

Really don't think anyone has won here after all - but England are so much weaker for leaving him out. Think they've taken things a touch too far.

PS: No slight on Jonny Bairstow either who looks a terrific talent. But he's no KP yet.
    Don't think there's any doubt England are significantly weakened by the absence of Pietersen, even more so when he is one of the few players capable at scoring at a high enough strike rate as to allow ourselves ample time to try and bowl SA out twice in a must win game.

However, I do think we've only weakened ourselves in the short-term, think the long-term benefits will far outweigh what would have happened had England allowed KP (or any other players that may begin to think in this fashion) to continue in this manner.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    daily mail has been the one with the most info on this. otherwise, twitter.
    oh yep, pretty good roundup

Kevin Pietersen cannot deny sending texts about Andrew Strauss, so England days look over | Mail Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

This wasn't about the texts at all in the end. It was about Pietersen thinking he could pick and choose when and where to represent his country; forgetting he needs England and the opportunity to perform at the highest level far more than England needs him. Do you think he will be as big a catch for the IPL and be able to maintain his brilliance in the IPL without the label of international cricketer next to his name and the opportunities that label affords him. Of course not. England have 100% done the right thing - forgoing short-term gain for long-term benefits. Well done ECB.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post
    This wasn't about the texts at all in the end. It was about Pietersen thinking he could pick and choose when and where to represent his country; forgetting he needs England and the opportunity to perform at the highest level far more than England needs him. Do you think he will be as big a catch for the IPL and be able to maintain his brilliance in the IPL without the label of international cricketer next to his name and the opportunities that label affords him. Of course not. England have 100% done the right thing - forgoing short-term gain for long-term benefits. Well done ECB.
    Err what? This is like the opposite of what happened. It's patently obvious that it's the texts that killed him.

Err what? This is like the opposite of what happened. It's patently obvious that it's the texts that killed him.
    I think it's the straw really, I thought the video was a good thing, but if the ECB asked him not to release it, then it makes you think he knew he was being dropped, and it was a PR exercise.

I agree with Woodster, time to move on, hopefully it'll make us stronger in the long run.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Re-brand themselves the Wales Cricket board for a few weeks, should do the trick.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Much more scope to allow Bopara for another comeback later in the year!!!
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I don't care about the texts. I don't care about what he has to say and I don't care who he said it to. I care not a jot about Andrew Strauss' hurt feelings and I don't especially don't give a flying **** about why KP did any of it.

I'm a selfish **** and I care about the actual cricket. I want to see KP play and I want to punch a wall.
    About sums it all up for me.

It was the final straw, sure, but the real issue (in my opinion) was the damage Pietersen's 'pick and choose' attitude was doing to the team. England are trying to create a legacy built around an era of greatness built upon a great team. One player does not a great team make. I know the IPL wasn't a factor in the early 2000s but there is no way Warne would have been allowed to de-select himself from the great Australian side, and I truly don't think he would have asked.

We simply don't know. Hayden definitely seems to be suggesting that he might have. It's very easy to sit here, now, and claim that they would/wouldn't have done this or that when they weren't ever actually faced with such a decision.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Much more scope to allow Bopara for another comeback later in the year!!!
    Sounds like he has piddled on the chips too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I don't care about the texts. I don't care about what he has to say and I don't care who he said it to. I care not a jot about Andrew Strauss' hurt feelings and I don't especially don't give a flying **** about why KP did any of it.

I'm a selfish **** and I care about the actual cricket. I want to see KP play and I want to punch a wall.
    Do you care about winning?

This isn't KP being a ****, its him undermining his team. How the **** does Strauss go out and bat with KP in a partnership chasing down a total to win the test, and facing Dale Steyn, knowing that his partner is more than happy to mock him and thinks he's a bunny to Steyn.

The atmosphere in the England dressing room would have been borderline toxic if they were to select KP after this. People who are saying England are weaker without KP are thinking of perhaps a year or so ago. Now they could very well be stronger as a unit.
    Last edited by Jono; 13-08-2012 at 06:24 AM.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Has Pietersen ever been treated for narcissistic personality disorder? And if not, why not?

Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread Information