• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could today's batsmen adapt to sticky wickets?

Jager

International Debutant
I have just been wondering about the evolution of batting techniques. You read legends about Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Trumper alike being masters on rain-affected wickets. Even the Don himself was famously unable to tame those nightmarish patches.

Back in the days of uncovered pitches, it seems batsmen had to be far more adaptive with their techniques, because balls were known to rear up at them from random parts of the pitch - it makes me question the abilities of today's players even more, especially against spin.

So, which of today's players do you believe would have succeeded/failed when faced with the pressure and challenge of a sticky dog?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think those with some of the funkier techniques might be found out on less true wickets. Obviously I've seen a lot more of cricketers from the current era than I have those pre-war era, but I imagine the MCC coaching manual held more sway back then & batsman had the basic verities instilled from an early age to cope with the capricious pitches.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps considering those who do best on absolute bunsens would give us the best clue.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure it was a case of Bradman being unable to tame sticky wickets, more that he didn't think it was fair he had to bat on them

I agree that those with the looser techniques would be found out, but the likes of Cook and Kallis would be okay, certainly until the bowlers managed to adapt their techniques to take advantage of such unfamiliar conditions

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As I understand, a sticky is when an uncovered pitch is rained on, and after the rain stops, the top of the wicket "bakes", but underneath that crust it's soggy. Is that an adequate description?

Jager

International Debutant
I think de Villiers/Laxman would probably be the best players in a sticky wicket situation of the moderns

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God, could you imagine Asif McGrath on such a pitch? Would be an absolute terror.
I think the accepted wisdom with stickies was to toss the ball to your finger spinners. But you would think someone like those guys you mentioned, or a Bedser would be an even better bet.

Red

I think de Villiers/Laxman would probably be the best players in a sticky wicket situation of the moderns
Agree. Would add Mike Hussey and Michael Clarke, as players who have good footwork.

I think Mark Waugh would have been a master.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The ones who play the ball exceptionally late (the wristy ones) and not averse to using their feet would do well. Ponting against spin on that sort of wicket would be a liability. Clarke would be awesome. I reckon someone like Chanderpaul would do pretty well also.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke would be interesting. Would be even more rocks/diamonds than he is now, would be very susceptible early on you'd think with his tendency to press forward. Applies to many, many modern bats, mind.

Again, though, players adapt.

Ruckus

International Captain
As I understand, a sticky is when an uncovered pitch is rained on, and after the rain stops, the top of the wicket "bakes", but underneath that crust it's soggy. Is that an adequate description?
I dunno, but it sounds delicious.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think a few of the English players, who would have had to deal with them at times growing up still, would be best place to counter sticky dogs, especially Strauss and Cook who are more prepared to wait on the back foot and not overcommit forward.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that's my thought too. It's hard to say, because (and it seems silly to keep hammering on this but it is the whole point) players work their technique to the current conditions they have to face, not hypothetical conditions decades in the past, but extremely front-foot dominant players like Hayden et al would have serious issues, you'd think.

Red

I dunno, but it sounds delicious.
Like chocolate self-saucing pudding. Break the crust and enjoy the lava flow...

On the cricket archives DVD, Bradman talks about how late early era players (Jackson, Trumper, Kippax) played the ball, in particular the late cut. Often the ball was past the stumps when they cut it between the slips. Great to watch, but hard if you press forward on to the front foot early!

Last edited: