• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could today's batsmen adapt to sticky wickets?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
.... and the All Time Great Australian spinner renowned for the colour of his hair might be named Miller and not Warne

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Half the ****s of today can't handle the current pitches so they would be atrocious having to bat in sticky situations.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
True but I reckon there's a number of batsmen who would do well on them sort of pticheshad they grown up in that era.

Jager

International Debutant
I think Nuf obviously meant that nowadays batsmen seem to be unable to handle difficult conditions. They certainly feast on roads and rubbish bowling though, both of which are in seemingly endless supply

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
They handle the conditions which are put in front of them. It's like having a backstroke swimmer whose been swimming in a indoor pool all his life, and then critisising him for not being able to swim across some lake in the middle of winter in Norway. Not to mention I feel that the pitches of the 70s/80s are somewhat overstated regarding their alleged liveliness, it was just a freakishly good crop of bowlers imo.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
All I am saying is that using the fact that there are more 50+ averages these days as a measure of modern batting talent is a very flawed argument

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah, but so is trying to say that that somehow makes them worse than those from previous eras. It clearly shows that the comparatively easy batting conditions are, without a doubt, being capitalised on, which suggests that batting talent has stayed pretty consistent throughout the years.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I mentioned half the ****s, not the great/very good players. Besides the top couple of countries, there are some very ordinary batsman being chosen on a regular basis who's technique is often exposed whenever conditions offer anything to bowlers so I would expect that they'd struggle more so in sticky conditions.