• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's the worst way to be dismissed?

ProteasFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Was just thinking of the worst way to be dismissed.

is leaving a ball and seeing your offstump uprooted worse than being run out or is hitting your own stump worse?

Do you know of any weird ways people have been dismissed in the past?

stumpski

International Captain
I'd have thought that the run-out caused by a bowler deflecting a drive onto the non-striker's wicket is perhaps the unluckiest way to get out - and a run-out off a no-ball the dumbest.

(I don't think I've seen that first scenario ever occur on a no-ball btw, but I expect it's happened somewhere)

Spark

Global Moderator
There is a special place reserved in purgatory for people caught at short fine leg.

Hit wicket never fails to be amusing. Nor does bowled without offering a shot, obviously.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, leaving it and being bowled is as bad a feeling as I have had.

Being run out off the bowler's hand is part of the game, really, but when the bowler drops a catch and then the ball goes onto the stumps, that ****s me. You stuffed up... and got me out. :(

Getting out in a way where your courage can be questioned is probably the worst though. Rodney Hogg still cops it for his limp effort, and it is the main reason Brad Hodge got dropped. You know you'll be copping it again all the time when you go out and bat, and you feel like you let your teammates down massively.

stumpski

International Captain
I can't find it on YT, but Michael Vaughan dropped a catch from Habibul Bashar of Bangladesh in a 2005 Test. He hurled the ball back in disgust - and scored a direct hit with Bashar still out of his crease!

(actually, I haven't got that quite right - Bashar wasn't run out in the Tests - an ODI perhaps? Maybe someone else recalls it)

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
I am facing a lame bowler, absolutely unsporty guy who cant even run or throw.
He bowls a ball and it lands slightly less than a meter away from the line of stumps on off-side, no signs of spin.
Seeing its a slow ball completely out of line I decide to leave it.
Then at the top of its curve heading away from wicket the ball suddenly gains speed, turns towards the wicket and clipps one bail off.
I burst out with laughter, so does my fellow batsman and the opposition.

The worst dissmisal :D

Our new ground has rather interesting pitch which randomly grants random bounce.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
I can't find it on YT, but Michael Vaughan dropped a catch from Habibul Bashar of Bangladesh in a 2005 Test. He hurled the ball back in disgust - and scored a direct hit with Bashar still out of his crease!

(actually, I haven't got that quite right - Bashar wasn't run out in the Tests - an ODI perhaps? Maybe someone else recalls it)
Vaughan certainly did that to someone, but I can't remember who either - can anyone help?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Stumped off the bowling of the King of Spain
<Stumped off Boje.

Not the question but on the reverse side of things I once bowled a guy hitting the top of off stump with my doosras but the bail stayed on. Worst way not to get a wicket.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have thought that the run-out caused by a bowler deflecting a drive onto the non-striker's wicket is perhaps the unluckiest way to get out - and a run-out off a no-ball the dumbest.

(I don't think I've seen that first scenario ever occur on a no-ball btw, but I expect it's happened somewhere)
This. Never happened to me before, I was always too slow out of the crease.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
personally been runout in any manner to me is the worst way. Least when the bowler has dismissed you you can be angry at yourself. When I'm runout I just think of it as a massive waste of my innings and almost like i've been cheated of the opportunity.

flibbertyjibber

I was run out off the last ball of the innings once by a volley from the mid off fielder which hit the stumps as i tried to run a single. It was a boiling hot day and I was knackered so only got half way, run out for 68, missed a good number by 1, story of my life. :laugh:

Langeveldt

Soutie

I've dropped a caught and bowled chance onto the stumps, running the other batsman out

Daemon

I've been out once on a free hit. Didn't know there were free hits in the game, got bowled and started walking off, ****ers pulled out the stumps and I was run out.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
getting hit on the head and the head gear(helmet or hat) fallin on the stumps...now that is 1 stone 2 mangoes for the bowler...