• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's the worst way to be dismissed?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Running yourself out when on 99 has to be up there. I remember Atherton doing it in 1993 and Gooch back in 1979/80. iirc it would have been Gooch's first test ton, which must have been especially galling.

Handling the ball to give it back to the bowler must also be pretty rough.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always hated being bowled neck and crop, and it never got easier, no matter how often it happened

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Getting run out whilst playing your best ever innings because the **** at the other end turns down an easy 2 because he wants some of the strike.

I got down to his end before turning back and only just failed to make my ground because it was a direct hit. :(

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Getting run out whilst playing your best ever innings because the **** at the other end turns down an easy 2 because he wants some of the strike.

I got down to his end before turning back and only just failed to make my ground because it was a direct hit. :(
Haha, I was in a similar situation once as a kid. I started running and got about halfway when I realized the **** was, well, being a ****. He had done this to others before, so I actually got to the other end and shoved him out of his crease. Yup, I batted on.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You shouldn't be given out run out if you mistakenly leave your ground thinking you're bowled.

My entry for this one comes from a staff game played earlier this term in torrential rain (one batsman described proceedings as "like taking guard in a chicken curry" and I umpired for several overs beneath an umbrella.

We needed around 12 an over, so I decided I'd use my feet against the spinner. He saw me coming, held it back, I didn't read that at all (nor the fact he'd bowled it from about 25 yards), got nowhere near it, tried to turn back round, lost my footing totally, slipped, and fell face first, chest down in the mud, as my bat flew towards the keeper (who had long since disposed of me).

Not elegant.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, I was in a similar situation once as a kid. I started running and got about halfway when I realized the **** was, well, being a ****. He had done this to others before, so I actually got to the other end and shoved him out of his crease. Yup, I batted on.
:laugh: I would so love to see this happen in an int'l match.

Spark

Global Moderator
****s getting you run out because they're too thick to respond to your calls is pretty shocking too

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
A former teammate had a tendency to get bowled when he left the ball. Did it at a crucial juncture of a final.

In a muck around school game, I was dismissed for a pair having only faced 1 ball, and not being out. First ball of the game was one of the non-striker run-outs - despite me never leaving the crease, and the next ball I faced resulted in me depositing a beamer into the hands of mid on.

Being stumped off a fast bowler isn't fun.