• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vettori vs Rehman vs Herath

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Who is the best left arm spinner of the 3? Vettori has the reputation but never wins matches. Rehman and Herath are quiet underachievers who have contributed to winning matches. In Vettori's defence he plays on less helpful pitches, while Herath gets a lot of assistance at venues like Galle. In terms of talent, from what I have seen I think it's

1) Rehman
2) Herath
3) Vettori

In terms of achievements, I'm not sure how these 3 would be ranked by the end of their career.

Spark

Global Moderator
On the flipside, Herath also has to play at the SSC. Would agree with your order though.

Flem274*

123/5
Vettori doesn't really count in this comparison. Until 2004 or so he would, but he's very much been a batting allrounder for quite a few years now.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd put Panesar ahead of Vettori as a bowler ATM. Shame about the other stuff.

Rehman
Herath
Vettori

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Vettori doesn't really count in this comparison. Until 2004 or so he would, but he's very much been a batting allrounder for quite a few years now.
Ye it's clear cut that Vettori as an overall player is better. I rate him as a better batsman than bowler since 2004 as you said, which is strange when you consider that previously he was a bowler and just a useful tailender with the bat.

Evilpengwinz

Cricket Spectator
Rehman is quality but he's usually bowling in tandem with Saeed Ajmal, which I think makes it much easier for him. Herath, on the other hand, doesn't have the same quality of bowler at the other end to keep the pressure on the batsmen, but still seems to be getting the job done.

For that reason, I'd put Herath just above Rehman, Vettori 3rd.

FWIW, I'd rank Shakib Al Hasan ahead of Vettori at the moment. Deonarine took more wickets in one test [6/80, 2nd test vs NZ] than Vettori has taken in 2012 [5], that's how innocuous Vettori has become of late.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
but vettori has always been useful as an economic bowler, he used to put batsmen int ight situations and sorry that he never took wickets but still, a very good economy rate is also nearly as good, isnt it ?

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
comeon man! the way the whole kiwi team has been playing, show me one player whom u can straight away say that "Yes, this guy has performed for us consistently for the past decade".

I dont think there is any such player and chris martin only comes near.

Flem274*

123/5
comeon man! the way the whole kiwi team has been playing, show me one player whom u can straight away say that "Yes, this guy has performed for us consistently for the past decade".

I dont think there is any such player and chris martin only comes near.
It's pretty easy to be that player when you're the only one who has played for a decade tbf.

Well him and McCullum, who was a top class gloveman and adequate batsman through that period.

You've unwittingly hit on the issue; no one has.:p Vettori has been good with the bat for ages but declined steadily with the ball. We could really do with the early days bowling of his with our spin stocks as they are, because combined with his batting he would be an awesome allrounder.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
but vettori has always been useful as an economic bowler, he used to put batsmen int ight situations and sorry that he never took wickets but still, a very good economy rate is also nearly as good, isnt it ?
In one day cricket maybe but not in test cricket. In test cricket its the number of runs given away per wicket that really matters. Once you fix an average a low economy rate means a lower strike rate and vice versa. Vettori's average is mediocre even more so when you take into account his feasting of Bangladesh.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Rehman would be the best I think. Easily the current finger spinner who spins it hardest.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
lol, i was waiting for someone to bring in other players in the discussion and here it is, although in a lighter vein