• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India 2012

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I wish Franklin would complete the transition to being a stock bowler and shorten his run up to 8-10 steps. He knows enough about bowling technique to still get it through at 120kms off that many steps in my opinion. I think it would help our over rates and just be more consistent with his bowling role for NZ.

His new role at this stage of his career should be to get through some inexpensive overs quickly and maybe chip out the odd wicket like peeps like Jesse Ryder do.
It would be nice but I suspect Franklin just doesn't have the accuracy - even if he starts with a couple of maidens you always know there's a 3-boundary 12-14 just around the corner. And perish the thought that someone decides to attack him.

At least with his batting, the last time he scored meaningful runs for us was in India in that ODI series a couple of years ago. It could happen...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It would be nice but I suspect Franklin just doesn't have the accuracy - even if he starts with a couple of maidens you always know there's a 3-boundary 12-14 just around the corner. And perish the thought that someone decides to attack him.
I think he has the potential to be a useful bowling asset for NZ - he just needs to accept his role

Oram - Oram - that is a better example of the type of bowler I am looking for him to become. A legitimate all rounder and someone who rocks up off a limited run up and does a job for us.

Let me just compare their test stats hang on

Franklin last 5 years - avg 126 econ rate 3.3 wickets 4 overs 150 Innings 10

Oram last 5 years avg 29.55 econ rate 2.01 wickets 18 overs 264 Innings 19

Wow pretty amazing stats for Oram - I didn't put any minnow filter on it so I am not sure what impact that is having but an econ rate of 2 is phenomenal.

Anyway - if Franklin transitioned to a line and length bowler instead of trying to take wickets (like he does) I think he can improve his econ rate.

Flem274*

123/5
Pigs will fly before Franklin becomes a line and length bowler. He can't do it, and if he tries it will not be an easy or overnight adjustment to go from pitch it up swing bowler to accurate hitting off stump bowler, especially since his radar is a bit shoddy in the first place.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Styris make a change. He went from being a quick / medium pacer to bowling cutters.

If I was coach I would ask him to make this change or I would drop him. His bowling is not good enough in its present incarnation.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Didn't Styris make a change. He went from being a quick / medium pacer to bowling cutters.

If I was coach I would ask him to make this change or I would drop him. His bowling is not good enough in its present incarnation.
He should worry about getting the job done with the bat first. There's already five bowling options in the side.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Most probably the team will be something like this:

1. Martin Guptill
2. Daniel Flynn
3. Brendon McCullum
4. Ross Taylor (c)
5. Kane Williamson
6. James Franklin
7. BJ Watling+
8. Doug Bracewell
9. Neil Wagner
10. Jeetan Patel
11. Trent Boult

Pretty **** team that. Really missing Ryder.
Like this team and batting order should stay like this:thumbs_up; have a feeling Williamson going to hit a big ton

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Almost forgot what Harbhajan Singh did to us last time we were in India. 315 runs @ 105 including two centuries and one fifty.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
didn't he play against the Windies at home?
Ya, just one test match.

Would be interested to see how gambhir and sehwag performs. As good as gambhir has been in ODI's lately, his test form is not that good. Needs to score big hundereds

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve, as a paceman of a reasonable standard yourself (I think), where would you rate Wagner for this tour in a pecking order? Ahead of Southee?

Seeing an international try that hard to get it through at 127kph (with a variance of up to 142 in an early spell) seemed really strange. His action has a nice aesthetic but is it really 'all small levers' and inefficient? Does the fact he's throwing so much shoulder into it stuff up his release, etc?
Personally nah, I don't think Wagner is ahead of Southee. The general feeling around the domestic scene is that finally the rest of the country is going to find out how quick Wagner isn't, and how he's just another OK bowler who got caught up in the hype.

Look how Trent bowled in the last Test, he was probably consistently quicker, swung it more and also had the variation of the one that straightened without any discernible change in action. Difference between him and Wagner - amongst other things - is Trent isn't a South African 'oke' who huffs and puffs, 'runs in hard' etc.

Also if you look at the strike rates from last year's Plunket Shield, I would wager Wagner isn't top of the pops, and doesn't stand out from the rest. He bowls a lot of overs for Otago, and benefits from that to an extent. Clearly he's a good bowler, but the hype does not equal the substance

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Also if you look at the strike rates from last year's Plunket Shield, I would wager Wagner isn't top of the pops, and doesn't stand out from the rest. He bowls a lot of overs for Otago, and benefits from that to an extent. Clearly he's a good bowler, but the hype does not equal the substance
Agree that Wagner has been overhyped to quite a large extent. His strike rate last year was actually pretty good though.

Of the guys who bowled more than 100 overs only Jarvis (38.2) and Henry (43.3) had better SRs than Wagner (48.1). Boult was the same as Wagner and Gillespie was slightly behind. Wagner did bowl a ridiculous amount of overs though - 369.3

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree that Wagner has been overhyped to quite a large extent. His strike rate last year was actually pretty good though.

Of the guys who bowled more than 100 overs only Jarvis (38.2) and Henry (43.3) had better SRs than Wagner (48.1). Boult was the same as Wagner and Gillespie was slightly behind. Wagner did bowl a ridiculous amount of overs though - 369.3
Oh no doubt it's good - but not outstandingly good. There's no doubt the guy can bowl but the general view is he's not as good as the hype, nor the statistics.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Oh no doubt it's good - but not outstandingly good. There's no doubt the guy can bowl but the general view is he's not as good as the hype, nor the statistics.
One of the best four quicks in the country though yeah? Especially if Martin is on the way out.