• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India 2012

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sorry, despite being a Franklin fan I have no idea why we're recalling Jimmy for tests. Especially in place of Brownlie - dud move imo.

Patel does deserve it, though I'm not expecting a lot.

No other surprises in squad and to me there are just so many question marks over so many of our guys - might as well get out the random number generator to select the side for the first test.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I reckon Franklin is there so we can play 4 seamers plus Patel and Williamson. Not that he's really a bowler anymore but he's more of a bowler than Brownlie. I assume that's what the selectors are thinking anyway.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon Franklin is there so we can play 4 seamers plus Patel and Williamson. Not that he's really a bowler anymore but he's more of a bowler than Brownlie. I assume that's what the selectors are thinking anyway.
It probably is, but in that case in Indian conditions Franklin's pretty much the sixth bowler behind Williamson. I'd rather see them play Watling, who should be next in line, at 6 (if Van Wyk keeps the gloves, though on second thoughts this may be an indication he won't).

Reckon you're right that Patel will leapfrog Nethula.

Flem274*

123/5
Seem to remember someone saying Patel wasn't bowling badly as such last tour of India, its just India were far too good for him.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Think Franklin is a good call bringing some varieties in batting order plus he's got some experience in India. Also add the bowling factor. Right decision IMO

Mike5181

International Captain
Most probably the team will be something like this:

1. Martin Guptill
2. Daniel Flynn
3. Brendon McCullum
4. Ross Taylor (c)
5. Kane Williamson
6. James Franklin
7. BJ Watling+
8. Doug Bracewell
9. Neil Wagner
10. Jeetan Patel
11. Trent Boult

Pretty **** team that. Really missing Ryder.

Howsie

International Captain
So John Wright goes and Brownlie follows him, not exactly that surprising tbh. Harsh though IMO.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve, as a paceman of a reasonable standard yourself (I think), where would you rate Wagner for this tour in a pecking order? Ahead of Southee?

Seeing an international try that hard to get it through at 127kph (with a variance of up to 142 in an early spell) seemed really strange. His action has a nice aesthetic but is it really 'all small levers' and inefficient? Does the fact he's throwing so much shoulder into it stuff up his release, etc?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I wish Franklin would complete the transition to being a stock bowler and shorten his run up to 8-10 steps. He knows enough about bowling technique to still get it through at 120kms off that many steps in my opinion. I think it would help our over rates and just be more consistent with his bowling role for NZ.

His new role at this stage of his career should be to get through some inexpensive overs quickly and maybe chip out the odd wicket like peeps like Jesse Ryder do.

I would rather Nethula play over Jeetan if forced to pick between the two.

I also think Watling should bat ahead of Franklin. As poor as Watling is he is better Franko and Franko seems to get nose bleeds for NZ batting at 6.

Flem274*

123/5
All we need is Gillespie and Ryder to return from injury/sabbatical and Athlai will be our new biased troll.

God help the forum if one of Woodcock/Brodie/Murdoch/Boam makes the team as well.