• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India 2012

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indian middle order would be much better off with Badrinath, Kaif and Mazumdar, than these young blokes. Honestly, the Ranji Trophy experience should carry more weight than age certificates. Badri may be old, but he's fit, strong and surely one of the best players.

With Ganguly, Dravid and Laxman gone, the Indian team management needs to wake up and start looking for all-rounders. Now there's no excuse to go on without any.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yes because Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman gave Kallis a run for his money as all rounders when they played.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Maybe its about time we went back to the basics. The basics that gave Ganguly's team at the start of his captaincy the belief that they can beat the best at home which gradually allowed them to build confidence and get some away test wins over time. Raging turners. I don't think any batsman in the world(Indians included) atm have the skill to play on a true dusty pitch. 1. Prepare turners. 2. Call back bhajji. 3. Play Ashwin and Bhajji. 4. Get some whitewashes at home. 5. Profit.

BeeGee

International Captain
Is n't it lame idea to have Baz open the innings when we have Flynn (left-hander) + Guptill opening partnership working well?
NZ opener stats for the last three years:

PHP:
Player        Matches  Average

BB McCullum     9       43.86
MJ Guptill     14       32.65
DR Flynn        2       27.50
TG McIntosh    11       25.14
BJ Watling      5       23.11
RJ Nicol        2       7.00
A bloke who averages 43 opening in Tests is world class. It was a ridiculous decision to move McCullum to three in the first place. Since moving to three he has averaged 39, which is good, but we have other players who can bat three. IMO, Guptill and McCullum are the two best openers we have, so they should be opening.

I don't think Flynn is a natural opening batsman and I doubt he would succeed in that position long term.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think in all fairness the decision to move McCullum to No.3 was made by McCullum.

So who's No.3, Kane or Flynn?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just want Kane to have a proper chance at settling in a position, and given it's inevitable that he'll end up batting 3 in this side, that should probably be the position he gets to settle in. I just hope that if he doesn't set the world alight there immediately, they don't cower and move him back to 5 again straight away.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
From all reports it looks like this test will be played in front of a largely empty stadium. Can't help but look back at the awesome crowds one gets in the more traditional centers. Makes no sense holding matches in grounds where you do not expect people to turn up. Grounds should be penalized if they do not manage to get decent crowds in.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I just want Kane to have a proper chance at settling in a position, and given it's inevitable that he'll end up batting 3 in this side, that should probably be the position he gets to settle in. I just hope that if he doesn't set the world alight there immediately, they don't cower and move him back to 5 again straight away.
Pretty solid logic. I'm sure if we looked at his cricinfo profile and saw what positions he's batted in, it would be all over the shop.

BeeGee

International Captain
Yep, Williamson at three. :thumbsup:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, Williamson at three. :thumbsup:
Yeah AWTA. We've had some pretty average bats score big top-order runs in India in the last decade tbh. If Kane can score a ton sent in by Yorkshire on a greentop on a miserable day I don't really see a need for him to be sheltered here, and what would be revealed by him failing would be worth finding out. What Flynn can offer when he's not hemmed into that 'typical flightless, shotless Kiwi, very limited, got smacked in the teeth in England once' corner the cricket world has him in would also be worth finding out.

My take on Kane is very similar to say the golfer Adam Scott; a really placid, far from instinctively contentious guy who'll generally play better the cleaner the game situation you give him is.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
From all reports it looks like this test will be played in front of a largely empty stadium. Can't help but look back at the awesome crowds one gets in the more traditional centers. Makes no sense holding matches in grounds where you do not expect people to turn up. Grounds should be penalized if they do not manage to get decent crowds in.
This is not the first time it's happening. Crowds are generally low in Hyderabad on comparison to Chennai or Bangalore or to any metropolitan in India. Interestingly, BCCI gives a match to Hyderabad whenever NZ tours India.. as if there is an agreement with BCCI and HCA (Hyderabad Cricket Association ).. Since last two decades, Hyderabad hosted atleast one game (be it test or odi) whenever NZ toured India ..

Agent TBY

International Captain
Where else would you host a match at this time of year? Hyderabad's the safest bet.

BeeGee

International Captain
India v New Zealand, 1st Test, Hyderabad : Ross Taylor banks on swing and seamers in Hyderabad | Cricket News | India v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

Some awful quotes from Taylor in there:

"Most of our batters have played against India here last time, so they won't be a surprise to MS [Dhoni]," Taylor said.
Batters? We're playing cricket not baseball. They are batsmen ffs.

"If we have match-winning performances, then hopefully we get the right results at the end of the day."
If you have match winning performances then you obviously will win the match. There's no hope required. You can't have a match winning performance in a game you lose. :laugh:

Howsie

International Captain
Wow, what a surprise. Our two best bowlers from the last test aren't even certainties to play. Their is no way in the world you can leave out Boult without taking the complete piss but Southee too, just to bring in Martin or Patel, a joke, a complete joke.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excited for Pujara. Scored heaps during the A series against the Windies so signs are good.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, awta. He has had to work doubly hard after all the injuries he has had. Surgeries on both knees has to take a toll.

Hoping Badri.or Rahane get the other spot. Not raina.