• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Test XI- eras of dominance

Jager

International Debutant
Yeah, I did read something of that opinion by Ashley Mallett - seemed to believe Viv was a bunny against quality leggies. Unfortunately that was only Qadir in his era. I asked Tangy for his opinion and he didn't seem all that convinced by Mallett's claims though

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, I did read something of that opinion by Ashley Mallett - seemed to believe Viv was a bunny against quality leggies. Unfortunately that was only Qadir in his era. I asked Tangy for his opinion and he didn't seem all that convinced by Mallett's claims though
some examples are 1) Bob Holland 2) Hirwani 3) Chandra 4) Qadir obviously..I can imagine Warne with his guile and superior talent compared to the above 4 would have been a handful..Also wi-ies batsman tended to have a technique against quality spin bordering slog...My opinion is Warne would have mastered them..

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
You forgot to mention the great that is Willis as well as the superb D'Oliveira - can only assume it's because of your Willis grudge :p
Willis was extremely young on the 1970/71 tour tbf. And without checking, I wonder how many test he actually played on it.

Although they were very successful for a few years, I've never thought that highly of Illingworth's England. Probably because the first home series that I saw had them drawing with Pakistan, losing to India, struggling to draw with Aus and getting thumped by WI. I know that some of their key players were getting past it by then, but I still feel that their successes owed a fair bit to the state of their opponents.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
almost with watson on this, but I think Jardine's side shades it

Sutcliffe
Wyatt
Jardine
Hammond
Leyland
Paynter
Ames
Allen
Larwood
Voce
Verity

All of them more or less at their peaks as well

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, a magnificent XI. I wouldn't argue against it being our finest ever.

One minor question about Wyatt opening. How good was he? Does the earlier side outdo it by having Hobbs in that position?

Last edited:

watson

Banned
You forgot to mention the great that is Willis as well as the superb D'Oliveira - can only assume it's because of your Willis grudge :p
Willis was still a baby in 1971 and doing that big circular run up to the wicket thing which looked silly. So he wasn't quite great yet.

However, once Tony Greig made him practice running in a straight line (kind of) to the stumps his bowling improved out of sight. Still got hammered by the Windies batsman on the whole though. But then again - who didn't.

watson

Banned
almost with watson on this, but I think Jardine's side shades it

Sutcliffe
Wyatt
Jardine
Hammond
Leyland
Paynter
Ames
Allen
Larwood
Voce
Verity

All of them more or less at their peaks as well
No Jack Hobbs though. Admittedly he was prettty ancient in 1929, but still good enough to average 50 for the series.