• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb ODI Rankings

biased indian

International Coach
All cricket rating are not at all good
Because all the rating treat an india vs bangladesh and the world cup final as the same.it doesnt happen any where else
u earn more points for winning wimbeldon than winning some tournament some where

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
Because all the rating treat an india vs bangladesh and the world cup final as the same.
Have you read the background behind this rating?

Evidentally not.

Besides surely that's a good thing for India based on recent results in the respective games?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
koch_cha said:
Because all the rating treat an india vs bangladesh and the world cup final as the same.it doesnt happen any where else
u earn more points for winning wimbeldon than winning some tournament some where
Suggest you read the methodology behind them.

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Have you read the background behind this rating?

Evidentally not.

Besides surely that's a good thing for India based on recent results in the respective games?
i have now read the background behind the rating and i dont see any weightage points given for teams winnings tournament
and reaching final.if u reach finals and semifinals of a tournamet that have all the nations playing u should get some extra points. consider 2 teams with same points even if thay are playing world cup final or the firts match of the tournament the winner gains same amount of points.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's a fair point but I don't see why Team B beating Team A in the final is a greater achievement than Team B beating Team A in the first round.

They will gain shedloads of extra points through their progress in the Competition.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
It's a fair point but I don't see why Team B beating Team A in the final is a greater achievement than Team B beating Team A in the first round.

They will gain shedloads of extra points through their progress in the Competition.
It's the 'reaching finals' bit. Amits tried it too - anything to get India a few more points:D

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
amits said:
as for 1st point, i now c it. if india play well in the vb series, then indias ranking will improve.
Gosh Amits you are a smart cookie:lol: :P :P

And if India play badly in VB Series :cough: :cough: allthetime :cough: :cough: there ranking will go down

biased indian

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
It's the 'reaching finals' bit. Amits tried it too - anything to get India a few more points:D
some player winning 10 low end tournament will not get more points than the grandslam winner in tennis.

i am not asking for u to give india more points actually here australia will benifit more they have won many trophies and world cup too

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No, they won't, and they won't here, because they would be playing weak sides time and again and getting fewer points!

Bazza said:
For years people have tried to successfully rate who is the best team in world cricket. There have been many attempts - some more successful than others. At the start of the year, Neil Pickup devised a system for ranking teams' abilities in test matches. These have now been adopted as Cricketweb's official test rankings.

Over the last few days (well months, intermittently), with Neil's assistance, I have produced a set of ODI rankings - based on the system Neil uses for tests. And here they are - these rankings include up to the Zimbabwe v West Indies series which finished last week, but not the current Pakistan v New Zealand series.

Home
1 South Africa 1348
2 Australia 1313
3 Sri Lanka 1131
4 West Indies 966
5 England 955
6 India 931
7 New Zealand 924
8 Pakistan 870
9 Zimbabwe 270
10 Kenya 115
11 Bangladesh 35

Away
1 Australia 1344
2 Pakistan 1066
3 South Africa 1048
4 India 947
5 Sri Lanka 922
6 England 888
7 New Zealand 798
8 West Indies 746
9 Zimbabwe 456
10 Kenya 316
11 Bangladesh 29

Total
1 Australia 1329
2 South Africa 1198
3 Sri Lanka 1027
4 Pakistan 968
5 India 939
6 England 922
7 New Zealand 861
8 West Indies 856
9 Zimbabwe 363
10 Kenya 216
11 Bangladesh 32

I will shortly write an explanation of how the system works, ie how the rankings are calculated. For now, feel free to pick to pieces my many hours of work,

Bazza
these are better than the ICC rankings

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
New Zealand 7 yea sounds 'bout right :P
Is there any way one of the creators of this magnificent system could put up say what the rankings would be if the Black Caps win both ODI series against the Saffas and the Pakis before they actually win it? I know it wouldn't be terribly difficult for common Joe Bloggs to work it out but hey common Joe Bloggs didn't create the masterpiece :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
Question - how are tri-series treated?
As three series of matches between the sides concerned.

So the current VB Series *might* create:

Australia 3.5-0.5 Zimbabwe
India 3-1 Zimbabwe
Australia 5-2 India

Bazza

International 12th Man
Neil has answered the question re triangular series, and I will answer tokens question in a minute, based on NZ having beaten Pakistan 4-1 which of course they have.

Bazza

International 12th Man
But in the meantime here are the updated rankings following the NZ v Pakistan series:

Home
1 South Africa 1338 (-4)
2 Australia 1306 (-3)
3 Sri Lanka 1123 (-3)
4 West Indies 960 (-2)
5 New Zealand 954 (+30)
6 England 950 (-2)
7 India 927
8 Pakistan 887
9 Zimbabwe 267
10 Kenya 115
11 Bangladesh 35

Away
1 Australia 1353 (-4)
2 South Africa 1055 (-11)
3 Pakistan 1042 (-10)
4 India 951 (+2)
5 Sri Lanka 930 (+4)
6 England 893 (+3)
7 New Zealand 761
8 West Indies 751 (+3)
9 Zimbabwe 459 (+2)
10 Kenya 322 (+6)
11 Bangladesh 30

Total
1 Australia 1330 (+1)
2 South Africa 1197
3 Sri Lanka 1027 (+1)
4 Pakistan 965 (-11)
5 India 939 (-1)
6 England 921
7 New Zealand 857 (+12)
8 West Indies 856 (+1)
9 Zimbabwe 363 (+1)
10 Kenya 219 (+3)
11 Bangladesh 32 (-1)

So lets review quickly:

- In the home rankings, NZ are obviously the big winners, leapfrogging India and England and almost West Indies too. They now lie 5th.

- Away from home there are no positional changes.

- Overall, NZ again do well, overtaking West Indies to go 7th. Pakistan lose ground on Sri Lanka and could be vulnerable to India and England in the near future.

Bazza

International 12th Man
OK I just realised I can't accurately predict how the rankings will change by the time NZ play SA because it doesn't finish until March 3rd, which is after the VB Series, South Africa v West Indies and Sri Lanka v Australia, so much will change in that time.

However, I can tell you that New Zealand will lose out if they don't win that series, as the series it will replace for ranking purposes was a 1-0 NZ victory. In otherwise, they can't gain that much by winning the series, but they can lose alot if they get beaten.

With regards to the next change in the rankings, Australia have nothing to gain really, as they are defending series wins, whilst if Zimbabwe can win even one game it will make a big difference to their ranking. So I suppose you could say Zimbabwe have nothing to lose but Australia have alot to lose. They have made a good start to the series though.