• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke signs for Hampshire

Eclipse

International Debutant
Michael Clarke signs for Hampshire

Wisden Cricinfo staff

December 2, 2003

Hampshire have signed Michael Clarke, the up-and-coming Australian batsman, as one of their overseas players for 2004. Clarke will be joining up with his fellow Australian Shane Warne, who is Hampshire's captain next year.

Clarke, a former captain of the Australian Under-19 side, has played 10 one-day internationals for Australia, and already averages 65.40. He toured West Indies earlier this year, and also made a mark in the recent three-way one-day series in India. At home he plays for New South Wales, and has already hit seven centuries in 33 first-class matches to date.

Hampshire's chairman Rod Bransgrove said: "We are naturally delighted that Michael has agreed to be our overseas player next season. He is undoubtedly one of the brightest new stars of international cricket, and we are certain that his considerable playing style will prove highly popular at the Rose Bowl."

And Paul Terry, Hampshire's manager, added: "Michael Clarke is a great signing for Hampshire cricket. He is an exiting strokeplayer, excellent fielder and also bowls left-arm spin. Michael has begun to make a significant mark already at the top level with Australia, and I'm sure the Hampshire supporters will warm to the brilliance of his play."

I know some people will be interested in this.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Should be an interesting experience for him. I will follow his progress with interest.:)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah it will be a good experience for him, he should do well, particularly in the OD games, Hampshire should do well in the OD games with Clarke and Warne. Wane captaining is also a good move, he is a nice, attacking captain too

I am delighted to hear this. I sense another double hundred coming on!
I'm not sure how long he will play in England for, in an interview earlier this year he said he didn't particularly like England. The conditions aren't exactly favourable to his lifestyle.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As long as it takes for him to get found out by the Second Division bowlers (nice to see you're aiming high, Mike)...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hes only signed a 1 year contract - though the year after he may well be unavailiable due to an ashes series- time will tell on that one.

Hampshire won just 2 games last season and drew 8 games.

having a look at their squad they dont seem to have to many players beyond their internationals though - last season, John Crawley, Mascarenhas, Mullaly, Udal.

not really much depth though, i can see Warne doing a fair bit of batting

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
I am delighted to hear this. I sense another double hundred coming on!
Another? To my knowledge he's never actually scored one at a level that matters...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
The conditions aren't exactly favourable to his lifestyle.
You mean surfing? Well Warnie can't either :P

Seriously if he doesn't like England why did he sign?

No not at a level that matters. But he did belt one for Ramsbottom, good enough for me :D

Perhaps he signed to get some cricket in the off season to further enhance his reputation. What's the go if he were to be called up for an Australian tour? Can he be released?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
Perhaps he signed to get some cricket in the off season to further enhance his reputation. What's the go if he were to be called up for an Australian tour? Can he be released?
He would be.

Rich2001

International Captain
age_master said:

having a look at their squad they dont seem to have to many players beyond their internationals though - last season, John Crawley, Mascarenhas, Mullaly, Udal.

Hampshire had a poor season and the Rose Bowl was a particularly bowlers wicket last season for a change, but they have some very talented players at the club, just because they aren't well know doesn't mean they don't have the ablity.

D.Kenway had one of his best seasons ever, and was being lined up as a england keeper at one stage, unfortuantly he played well but others (Oh yeah Jonesy!!!!) steped it up a gear. C.Tremlett looks a very handy player and was tipped as the next big thing for England, not sure what happened to him I think it was just R.Johnson got himself fit again.

M.Clarke is basically a stright swap from S Katich and Warne will certainly add to the bolwing... Hampshire could go well this season.

Iam asuming you are just talking FC matches as Hampshire got promoted in the One Day, so the season wasn't too bad.

Craig

World Traveller
age_master said:
hes only signed a 1 year contract - though the year after he may well be unavailiable due to an ashes series- time will tell on that one.

Mascarenhas has never played for England ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Mascarenhas has never played for England ;)
Although I can't for the life of me work-out why when so many rubbish bowlers with very poor records have been picked instead.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hampshire's FC-side next season will hopefully look something like this:
Kenway
Crawley
Kendall
Clarke

Pothas

Warne
Udal

Mullally
With spots filled accordingly. The loss of Laney, White, Smith, Morris and Stephenson in recent years hasn't helped their cause.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
Although I can't for the life of me work-out why when so many rubbish bowlers with very poor records have been picked instead.
Agree with you 110% here , same goes for Neil Killeen , he may be a fata*s but he's averaged under 20 with an economy under 4 for the last 3 years yet he still ant get a game , he is as accurate as they come.

Meanwhile people with rubbish domestic one day records (Johnson) get picked ahead of him.

The English selectors have a real habbit of picking people for the wrong form of the game , they picked Shah , Solanki , Johnson , Strauss & others for the one day game although they are clearly better players in the longer form , while people like McGrath & Batty who are better OD players are picked for test matches.

As for Clarke I see no reason why he shouldnt do very , very well.

My first recollection of him against an Englishman was for Australia A last summer.

Kabir Ali came on & with his second delivery had Blewett caught at point off a wide half volley.
Enter Clarke , this should be interesting , was my reaction , Englands brightest young fast bowling prospet bowling to our best young batsman.

Clarke then proceded to hit the 4 remaining deliveries in the over for boundaries , a sign of things to come or what
:lol: :lol: :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
iamdavid said:
Kabir Ali came on & with his second delivery had Blewett caught at point off a wide half volley.
Enter Clarke , this should be interesting , was my reaction , Englands brightest young fast bowling prospet bowling to our best young batsman.
No! No! NO!

Kabir is many things, but England's brightest young fast bowling prospect he most certainly is not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And who's better?
Harmison?
Harmison, who managed 2 wickets for over 60 on about the worst pitch you'll ever see, at Trent Bridge?
Or Flintoff?
Hoggard and Anderson you might just get away with, although Hoggard will shortly cease to qualify as "young". but to call anyone else better than Kabir Ali is, I'm afraid, rank idiocy. His FC strike-rate is phenominal, even if his economy-rate leaves something to be desired.