• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NSW...can they compete at international leveL?

deeps

International 12th Man
this discussion has been going on for a while,and am still dumbfounded by those who don't think that NSW couldn't play extremely competetive international cricket, and win most of it's matches... I stole the following msg from another thread (i wrote this msg myself)... What does every1 think about this team beating MOST international sides....and if not, WHY?!!?

let me run through the FULL strength NSW team for u..

M.Slater
M.Waugh
S.Katich
S.Waugh
M.Clarke
M.Bevan
B.Haddin
B.Lee
N.Bracken
S.Macgill
G.Mcgrath

Players like Matthew Nicholson, Stuart Clarke, Don Nash, Dom Thornley, and probably a few other class players as well

Look at that team,... Every single player is brilliant and has at some stage played for australia...Except for brad haddin i think..

Now look at that team,and tell me wat international team they couldn't beat (i'm not saying they will win 100pcnt of their games...i'm saying that they will beat more often than not)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say that side would do pretty well at international level...its a similar thing to like the Canterbury Crusaders were like 2 years ago in the Rugby.

Former Welsh/Auckland Coach Graham Henry said Canterbury would beat Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Argentina & maybe even South Africa on their day.
Every so often you have some unbelievable domestic sides & the current NSW team is probably one of those.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah at full strength they might do ok and give a team or two a run for their money. But it is really pushing it to expect Brett Lee or Glenn McGrath to play for NSW.

They are usally rested or they only play ING Cup games when they are allowed to or coming back from injury.

And during the Tests, there is no MacGill, S.Waugh, Lee and McGrath and it is almost the same in ODIs except MacGill and Steve Waugh and with Michael Beven in the ODI team.

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
I would say that side would do pretty well at international level...its a similar thing to like the Canterbury Crusaders were like 2 years ago in the Rugby.

Former Welsh/Auckland Coach Graham Henry said Canterbury would beat Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Argentina & maybe even South Africa on their day.
Every so often you have some unbelievable domestic sides & the current NSW team is probably one of those.
You can say the same thing about the Auckland Blues in the Super 12.

At full strength yes, but weaker I dont know. Last year they were assisted by having the Waugh twins back which lead them to their success.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
deeps said:
this discussion has been going on for a while,and am still dumbfounded by those who don't think that NSW couldn't play extremely competetive international cricket, and win most of it's matches... I stole the following msg from another thread (i wrote this msg myself)... What does every1 think about this team beating MOST international sides....and if not, WHY?!!?

M.Slater
M.Waugh
S.Katich
S.Waugh
M.Clarke
M.Bevan
B.Haddin
B.Lee
N.Bracken
S.Macgill
G.Mcgrath

Players like Matthew Nicholson, Stuart Clarke, Don Nash, Dom Thornley, and probably a few other class players as well

Look at that team,... Every single player is brilliant and has at some stage played for australia...Except for brad haddin i think..

Now look at that team,and tell me wat international team they couldn't beat (i'm not saying they will win 100pcnt of their games...i'm saying that they will beat more often than not)
They couldn't beat Australia :)

Seriously though, compare that team to a normal-form South Africa, who doesn't choke it, and I think you'll find that they should lose more often than not:

M Slater v GC Smith - no comment, if Smith can get that flaw in his early game fixed. 15 runs up for SA.
M Waugh v HH Gibbs - 10 runs up for NSW. Both excellent batsmen, but Waugh can perhaps make it
S Katich v HH Dippenaar - fairly equal skill players, if not Dippenaar slightly better.
SR Waugh v JH Kallis - Equal. Waugh is a better batsman, Kallis makes up with a wicket.
MJ Clarke v G Kirsten - 10 runs up for SA. Clarke is unproven yet.
MG Bevan v ND McKenzie - Equal. McKenzie is a better batsman, Bevan makes up for it with his bowling
BJ Haddin v MV Boucher - 20 runs up for SA. Boucher is an experienced Test keeper, Haddin hasn't been near any Australia.
B Lee v SM Pollock - 5 runs up for SA. Lee takes more wickets, but Pollock can knock 50s and more.
N Bracken v RJ Peterson - 5 runs up for NSW, at least on current form.
S MacGill v PR Adams - Equal.
G McGrath v M Ntini - 15 runs up for NSW. Best bowler in the world, can't argue with that.

SA win by 10 runs...

Craig

World Traveller
IMO Kirsten is the best batsman in the South African team.

Actually it would be interesting to compare between Jaques Rudolph and Phil Jacques or another fringe NSW batsman.

deeps

International 12th Man
Samuel_Vimes said:
They couldn't beat Australia :)

Seriously though, compare that team to a normal-form South Africa, who doesn't choke it, and I think you'll find that they should lose more often than not:

M Slater v GC Smith - no comment, if Smith can get that flaw in his early game fixed. 15 runs up for SA.
M Waugh v HH Gibbs - 10 runs up for NSW. Both excellent batsmen, but Waugh can perhaps make it
S Katich v HH Dippenaar - fairly equal skill players, if not Dippenaar slightly better.
SR Waugh v JH Kallis - Equal. Waugh is a better batsman, Kallis makes up with a wicket.
MJ Clarke v G Kirsten - 10 runs up for SA. Clarke is unproven yet.
MG Bevan v ND McKenzie - Equal. McKenzie is a better batsman, Bevan makes up for it with his bowling
BJ Haddin v MV Boucher - 20 runs up for SA. Boucher is an experienced Test keeper, Haddin hasn't been near any Australia.
B Lee v SM Pollock - 5 runs up for SA. Lee takes more wickets, but Pollock can knock 50s and more.
N Bracken v RJ Peterson - 5 runs up for NSW, at least on current form.
S MacGill v PR Adams - Equal.
G McGrath v M Ntini - 15 runs up for NSW. Best bowler in the world, can't argue with that.

SA win by 10 runs...
interesting...i believe swaugh is +5 to kallis (waugh can bowl)...haddin is a damn good batsman...only +10 for SA...Bracken vs peterson should b +15 for NSW.... macgill is +20 to adams.

the rest i agree with... SA would probably beat the NSW team most of the time...but NSW would win some as well..and they would b pretty close

Can't compare aus and NSW as many players paly for both teams.

India can on its' day beat ne team as can pakistan... I think NSW can beat India minus Tendulkar... And NSW should b able 2 beat **** on most occasions

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel I find you're decision of McKenzie & Bevan a little hard to swallow...i'd pick Bevan anyday.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
NSW vs the rest f Australia would be an interesting game - almost happened in a OD friendly last year but was washed out. as for vs RSA, i would back NSW, simply because there is so many potential match winners in there - particularly Steve Waugh, on a sub continental wicket they would struggle more i think

THE MINGSTER

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
deeps said:

M.Slater
M.Waugh
S.Katich
S.Waugh
M.Clarke
M.Bevan
B.Haddin
B.Lee
N.Bracken
S.Macgill
G.Mcgrath

You said NSW vs all the International sides.

Well I suppose Australia should be counted as well, thus you can't count the Aussie reps in that side.

deeps

International 12th Man
they were all NSW players before they became Aus players...hence they should play for their state teams...:P

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
ahh but the Australian Squad is picked from the state sides (ie NSW) and if NSW was an oponent they would no longer be able to sleect from them, so they would play for NSW (also it would change anyway cause of the ODI and test squads :)) so NSW would still be a chance

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
deeps said:
interesting...i believe swaugh is +5 to kallis (waugh can bowl)...haddin is a damn good batsman...only +10 for SA...Bracken vs peterson should b +15 for NSW.... macgill is +20 to adams.

the rest i agree with... SA would probably beat the NSW team most of the time...but NSW would win some as well..and they would b pretty close

Can't compare aus and NSW as many players paly for both teams.

India can on its' day beat ne team as can pakistan... I think NSW can beat India minus Tendulkar... And NSW should b able 2 beat **** on most occasions
Waugh can bowl, but Kallis can take wickets. There is a difference between the two. Equal. Haddin I haven't really heard about, but I'll take your word for it and make that +10 for SA. Peterson and Adams I must correct you - these are fairly solid Test-standard bowlers, they just fall in the shadow of Pollock - rather like Bracken and MacGill who fall in the shadow of McGrath (though MacGill is maybe +5 to Adams).

Add +5 to Kirsten v Clarke (could change in a couple of years, but right now he's that much better), and make it +15 for SA. Dippenaar is also 5 runs better than Katich, on second thoughts.

However, in your first post, you said that NSW would beat most international teams "more often than not" - good to see that you've corrected yourself, I think they'd struggle against SA and India (in India) ATM. Give Pakistan a couple of years and they'll be very dangerous (Taufeeq Umar, Danish Kaneria, and others).

Tim said:
Samuel I find you're decision of McKenzie & Bevan a little hard to swallow...i'd pick Bevan anyday.
Possibly. So give Bevan +5 then. That's a final score of 0. Should be pretty interesting to see that match :)

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
ahh but the Australian Squad is picked from the state sides (ie NSW) and if NSW was an oponent they would no longer be able to sleect from them, so they would play for NSW (also it would change anyway cause of the ODI and test squads :)) so NSW would still be a chance
I think that they would have the choice between either Australia and NSW because they have represented both. Personall I think it's stupid to pick NSW over Australia to make your living.

Furthermore, the arrogance is thick.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
There is quite a simple answer to the Thread Title...

Since NSW are not an international team, then they can't compete at international level because they have to represent an entire country not a state :P

Eclipse

International Debutant
On paper that NSW team look's awsome but lets face it some of them are well past there best ie. M Waugh and M Slater...

South Australia beat a full strength NSW last year anyway so I would still have my doubts as to how well they would do.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
There is quite a simple answer to the Thread Title...

Since NSW are not an international team, then they can't compete at international level because they have to represent an entire country not a state :P
On a similar topic, a few years ago Surrey could in all likelihood have kicked England's ass (hang on. A few years ago, Derbyshire could have)

nibbs

International Captain
It depends what you want to call international level. When Bangladesh were here a season or two ago, Auckland put them to the sword. First Class sides in New Zealand are never anything special, but we have got an even competition compared to the likes of Australia or England were certain teams run rampant.