• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NSW...can they compete at international leveL?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I would pick a full strength Qld team to do better than NSW.

1. M.Hayden
2. J.Maher
3. M.Love
4. S.Law
5. A.Symonds
6. L.Carseldine/C.Perren
7. W.Secombe
8. A.Bichel
9. A.Nofke
10. N.Hauritz
11. M.Kasprowicz
12. J.Dawes

We have a pair of proper openers, 3 of the top 4 batsmen are averaging over 50 in test cricket, a world class keeper (unlike haddin) and the finest current domestic attack in the world.

Only weakness is the number 6 spot. When we get Shane Watson back from Tassie that will be solved. All other players have played for Australia in some form of cricket.

How exciting would the pura cup be if all the state teams would be at full strength. It would have alot closer and more exciting contests than many of the international teams that tour.

mavric41 said:
We have a pair of proper openers, 3 of the top 4 batsmen are averaging over 50 in test cricket
No they aren't. Only two of them have played test cricket, only one of them is averaging over 50.

mavric41 said:
a world class keeper
Again, no. Seccombe is not world class. That is unrefined crap.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
I think he's saying Seccombe is a proper keeper, not just a batsman converted into a keeper.

I'd go for Queensland too, you can't argue with, for so long, the domestic champions...

He said 'world class', so what he meant is irrelevant. What he said was wrong.

NSW won both titles last year, so Queensland's long standing reign as champions is about as relevant now as the 1973 title holders. :)

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
furious_ged said:
No they aren't. Only two of them have played test cricket, only one of them is averaging over 50.

Three of them have played test cricket - Hayden, Love, Law (1 test) - but I did mean first class cricket.

With regards to Secombe - who in the world is a better wicketkeeper at at least the first class level. (not batsman- keeper)

FIRST-CLASS
(1992/93 - 2003/04; last updated 02/12/2003)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 101 148 26 3179 151 26.05 4 10 459 17

Last edited:
Law isn't too fantastic.. His first class average, granted, is 50 and a half, however his average in England is 60-odd, which certainly lessens your claim of him being so good, as his Australian performances therefore aren't as great as one might believe, and most people inflate their averages in England.

With Seccombe, I don't really know how you can back up your claims that he is a world class keeper. It's pretty hard to distinguish big gaps between good keepers, as most keepers will do a very good job. That is why these days so many keeper's batting comes into things, which is where Seccombe falls down, because there are MANY players better than he.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
furious_ged said:
Law isn't too fantastic.. His first class average, granted, is 50 and a half, however his average in England is 60-odd, which certainly lessens your claim of him being so good, as his Australian performances therefore aren't as great as one might believe, and most people inflate their averages in England.

With Seccombe, I don't really know how you can back up your claims that he is a world class keeper. It's pretty hard to distinguish big gaps between good keepers, as most keepers will do a very good job. That is why these days so many keeper's batting comes into things, which is where Seccombe falls down, because there are MANY players better than he.
The inflation of averages can also be applied to most of the NSW team (except for Slater who failed in English county cricket) so that comment is hardly relevant.

You keep saying there are MANY players better than Secombe yet you have not mentioned any or bothered to show their records. If you are only as good as your last game Secombe's last game against SA in Adelaide was 67no and 115 and 7 catches. The guy averages over 4 and half dismissals per game. It is generally accepted by most cricketing judges that Secombe is the best keeper in Australia based purely on skill with Darren Berry a close second. Gilchrist's huge bonus to the Australian side is his ability with the bat which far outweighs any of his shortcomings as a keeper. What is your problem with the Secombe?

My problem with him, is that it seems silly to rate Seccombe as you do. It's not like his dismissals are brought about by his own keeping, it's the bowler's dismissals, it's just his job to hang onto them. I think you'll find that most keepers will hold onto their chances, so keepers should be rated in one of two ways; good or not good. There are many good keepers who are much better bats then Seccombe, therefore are of more use, therefore making a better contribution to a team. It is the TEAM this thread is about, not keepers. If Haddin is going to hang onto most of his chances, and be better than Seccombe with the bat, then that is one advantage for NSW over Queensland.

mavric41 said:
It is generally accepted by most cricketing judges that Secombe is the best keeper in Australia based purely on skill
You spelt 'Queensland' wrong. :P

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Haddin

FIRST-CLASS
(1999/00 - 2003/04; last updated 02/12/2003)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
44 77 8 2195 117 31.81 73.06 2 13 112 10

Secombe

FIRST-CLASS
(1992/93 - 2003/04; last updated 02/12/2003)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
101 148 26 3179 151 26.05 4 10 459 17

Haddin - slightly better batsman

Secombe - much better keeper

I'd rather have a keeper who took almost 2 more catches per match rather than 5 runs per match. It helps the TEAM more.

Haddin is more positive and has a better effect anyway.
I don't see how Seccombe can be a 'much better keeper', Haddin is pretty good so how much better can Seccombe be? I don't think it matters that much.
This average catch thing is just ****, mate. Perhaps NSW bowlers have a higher percentage of dismissals not involving the keeper, I'll leave you to find that one out. But Seccombe does not MAKE these catches, as neither does Haddin. All the keeper can do is take what comes to him, which is what I've seen Haddin do.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
furious_ged said:
But Seccombe does not MAKE these catches, as neither does Haddin. All the keeper can do is take what comes to him.
Exactly. Secombe tends to take those half chances better than most which is my point.

Haddin is by no means a bad player (very good actually) but on comparison by watching them both over several years Secombe is a better wicketkeeper and tends to make less mistakes and is more likely to grab those spectacular chances. This also inspires the bowlers to bowl better in knowing that their efforts will be rewarded.