• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When great careers overlap

stumpski

International Captain
I found this match, from 1974, in which Sobers and Botham were on opposite sides. The former WI great dismissed the future England star in the second innings (and somehow, Notts were unable to get a target of 17 in two overs! Why didn't Sobers open?).

Any other examples of a great player right at the end of the line meeting one who was just starting out?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I found this match, from 1974, in which Sobers and Botham were on opposite sides. The former WI great dismissed the future England star in the second innings (and somehow, Notts were unable to get a target of 17 in two overs! Why didn't Sobers open?).

Any other examples of a great player right at the end of the line meeting one who was just starting out?
Viv's in there as well.

One of the great shames in cricket it that Viv and Sober's careers didn't coincide. Viv started playing tests juuuust after Sobers finished.

Imagine the two of them batting together late on day one against a tired bowling attack...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Viv Richards and Brian Lara once shared a partnership in an international match. Not sure if anyone realized the significance at that time. Passing on the torch from cult West Indian batsman of one generation to that of another.

EDIT: Scorecard - 3rd ODI: England v West Indies at Lord's, May 27, 1991. 20 run partnership for the 4th wicket.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
There are some fairly well-documented cases - Rhodes bowling to Bradman on the 1930 tour for instance, or WG playing against Hobbs ... Richards was in that 1974 match yes, I'm trying to establish whether he ever played against Warne.

stumpski

International Captain
Viv's in there as well.

One of the great shames in cricket it that Viv and Sober's careers didn't coincide. Viv started playing tests juuuust after Sobers finished.

Imagine the two of them batting together late on day one against a tired bowling attack...
Richards had disciplinary issues early in his career I think, without which he might have played against Denness's team in early 1974 (Sobers' last series). They would have competed a few times in domestic cricket in the early 70s I imagine.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There are some fairly well-documented cases - Rhodes bowling to Bradman on the 1930 tour for instance, or WG playing against Hobbs ... Richards was in that 1974 match yes, I'm trying to establish whether he ever played against Warne.
Viv's last test was 1991, and Warne's first test was 1992.

Not sure Warne would have played County Cricket before his test debut, so unlikely they played against each other. Possible though.

stumpski

International Captain
Viv's last test was 1991, and Warne's first test was 1992.

Not sure Warne would have played County Cricket before his test debut, so unlikely they played against each other. Possible though.
I was thinking about the 1993 tour - Viv was playing for Glamorgan that year, but he missed the match against the Australians. So it looks like a no.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Imran to Tendulkar in 89-90 when Tendulkar debuted and Imran played his last test in 90-91
They had fair amount of overlap actually.

Marshall bowling to Tendulkar is an overlap that not many would have known (till Robelinda uploaded a video on YouTube). They played 4 ODIs together

smash84

The Tiger King
They had fair amount of overlap actually.

Marshall bowling to Tendulkar is an overlap that not many would have known (till Robelinda uploaded a video on YouTube). They played 4 ODIs together
depends on what you define as a fair amount but Imran's career was pretty much over by then

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Going back to the WI theme, Andy Roberts played one test in the 1974 series against England along side Sobers and Kanhai, both of who, iirc, were playing their final test series.

Also with Kanhai, the 1975 WC final provided his last significant innings as well as Richards three run-outs. Admittedly Viv had a test 100 to his name by then though.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Viv Richards and Brian Lara once shared a partnership in an international match. Not sure if anyone realized the significance at that time. Passing on the torch from cult West Indian batsman of one generation to that of another.

EDIT: Scorecard - 3rd ODI: England v West Indies at Lord's, May 27, 1991. 20 run partnership for the 4th wicket.
My god, that would be a magnificent upload! :-O:-O:-O

Rob is on the job......